Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Marijuana use tied to serious diabetes complication
    #25606594 - 11/11/18 06:14 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

medicalxpress.com

People with type 1 diabetes who use marijuana may double their risk of developing a life-threatening complication, a new study suggests.

Called diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), the condition occurs when there is not enough insulin to break down sugar in the body, so the body burns fat for fuel instead. This triggers a build-up of chemicals known as ketones, which make blood more acidic and can lead to coma or death.

"About 30 percent of our patients are using some form of marijuana, and they should be careful when using," said study author Dr. Halis Akturk. "They should be aware of the DKA risk, and recognize the symptoms—nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and confusion."

Akturk is an assistant professor of medicine and pediatrics at the University of Colorado School of Medicine and Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes in Aurora, Colo.

Colorado is one of nine U.S. states that legally allow recreational use of marijuana.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that develops when the body's immune system mistakenly attacks the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. Insulin is a hormone that channels the sugar from foods into the body's cells to be used as fuel.

People with type 1 diabetes no longer make enough insulin on their own. They must take shots or use an insulin pump to deliver the insulin they need to their bodies. However, getting the dose right is a difficult balancing act.

Too much insulin can cause dangerous low blood sugar levels that make people shaky, confused and irritable, and if not treated, can cause someone to pass out and possibly to die.

But too little insulin can lead to high blood sugar levels. Over years, high blood sugar levels can cause the serious complications associated with diabetes, such as heart and kidney disease, vision problems and amputations. Too little insulin can also lead to DKA in as little as a few hours, according to the American Diabetes Association.

In the new study, the researchers invited adult type 1 diabetes patients at a Colorado hospital to complete a survey on marijuana use. Of 450 survey participants, 134 said they used marijuana.

The average age of the survey respondents was 39, but among marijuana users it was 31. Cannabis users tended to have lower incomes and education levels.

Pot users chose to use it in a variety of ways, including smoking, vaping or consuming it in edible products, the investigators found.

Non-users seemed to have better blood sugar control overall. HbA1C levels—a blood test that estimates two to three months of blood sugar levels—were slightly higher in people who used marijuana.

However, the study only found an association and could not prove a cause-and-effect relationship.

Dr. Joel Zonszein, director of the clinical diabetes program at Montefiore Medical Center in New York City, said, "I was not surprised that the use of cannabis is associated with DKA. Individuals with type 1 diabetes need to be engaged with their disease and manage insulin dosing constantly, even those on the pump with closed loop systems."

Zonszein said that getting high on marijuana may impair people's ability to give themselves the correct insulin dose.

"This study is a warning of the serious and potentially life-threatening 'side effect' of marijuana. This is particularly important due to the ever expanding use of cannabis after its legalization," Zonszein added.

It's also possible that because marijuana users had lower income and education, an unmeasured factor, such as access to health care or health insurance, may also play a role in raising the risk of DKA, he said.

The study was published online Nov. 5 as a research letter in JAMA Internal Medicine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLeAto
Listener

Re: Marijuana use tied to serious diabetes complication [Re: Ythan]
    #25606672 - 11/11/18 07:28 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

So, some Type 1 Diabetes Patients whom used marijuana were found to have recurrent episodes of Ketoacidosis.  This is the only bit that I have actually seen and its basically a synopsis of the Articles Abstract.  I doubt the author at medicalexpress has even read the full report(you have to pay for a jama subscription or go to a school where they have a sub).  Interesting assumption they make in the article though, not that the marijuana itself is causing the ketoacidosis but they suggest that the individual is just getting too high and messing up their own insulin regiment and that is the cause of the ketoacidosis...

~ LeAto

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Re: Marijuana use tied to serious diabetes complication [Re: LeAto]
    #25606747 - 11/11/18 08:33 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

The research is valuable, bit Zonszein's flippant use of "side effect" is very counterproductive. Long story short if you have diabetes don't forget to take care of yourself if you get high.

OfflineLeAto
Listener

Re: Marijuana use tied to serious diabetes complication [Re: Failboat]
    #25606787 - 11/11/18 08:55 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

@Quirkmeister92 I agree 100%, the author's lax writing style leads to the article feeling less legit...  Its sad when they hire writers that have never taken an Arguing about Literature or Rhetoric course...

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana use tied to serious diabetes complication [Re: LeAto]
    #25606850 - 11/11/18 09:32 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

This could well be true, i wouldnt discredit it or take shots at the wirter just cause its not pro-cannabis. The whole point of science is lack of bias. But whenever i see an article that highlights a side effect of a chem we all like, theres alot of attempts to discredit. However, not much at all when i see a positive cannabis article

:shrug:

I understand that many people (including usually myself) are skeptical about cannabis studies.

I never knew there was any connection to diabetes. In fact i kept seeing sugar free edibles just for diabetics

I cant tell if its JUST about administering the right dose, though. If thats the case, same thing with people taking powerful opioids for pain. Like say oxyfast which has 20mg oxycodone in every 1ml iirc. Or fentanyl lollipops (actiq).

If youre really high you could easily take double your dose or whatever

(Not really "article/study material")

But yeah im just trying to understand this in an unbiased way

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (11/11/18 10:09 AM)

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

#25606953 - 11/11/18 10:38 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
medicalxpress.com

The average age of the survey respondents was 39, but among marijuana users it was 31. Cannabis users tended to have lower incomes and education levels.

Was it the use of the evil wicked weed that causes higher rates of diabetes?! Or was it the lower incomes level. Narcs see the weed as the cause while real studies have proven that people with a lower income level get diabetes at a higher level.

SAJLMFAO

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1618393/

Quote:

Association of socio-economic status with diabetes prevalence and utilization of diabetes care services

Low income appears to be associated with a higher prevalence of diabetes and diabetes related complications, however, little is known about how income influences access to diabetes care. The objective of the present study was to determine whether income is associated with referral to a diabetes centre within a universal health care system.

Methods

Data on referral for diabetes care, diabetes prevalence and median household income were obtained from a regional Diabetes Education Centre (DEC) database, the Canadian National Diabetes Surveillance System (NDSS) and the 2001 Canadian Census respectively. Diabetes rate per capita, referral rate per capita and proportion with diabetes referred was determined for census dissemination areas. We used Chi square analyses to determine if diabetes prevalence or population rates of referral differed across income quintiles, and Poisson regression to model diabetes rate and referral rate in relation to income while controlling for education and age.

Results
There was a significant gradient in both diabetes prevalence (χ2 = 743.72, p < 0.0005) and population rates of referral (χ2 = 168.435, p < 0.0005) across income quintiles, with the lowest income quintiles having the highest rates of diabetes and referral to the DEC. Referral rate among those with diabetes, however, was uniform across income quintiles. Controlling for age and education, Poisson regression models confirmed a significant socio-economic gradient in diabetes prevalence and population rates of referral.

Conclusion
Low income is associated with a higher prevalence of diabetes and a higher population rate of referral to this regional DEC. After accounting for diabetes prevalence, however, the equal proportions referred to the DEC across income groups suggest that there is no access bias based on income.

SAJLMFAO at this reefer madness and all the moronic narcs that believe this shit.

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

Loc: babilonUSA
Re: Marijuana use tied to serious diabetes complication [Re: rider420] * 1
    #25607040 - 11/11/18 11:27 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

However, the study only found an association and could not prove a cause-and-effect relationship.

if i could make a wild guess here, it would be the majority diabetic cannabis users,
probably get munchies, more than non users, then eat unhealthy sugary junk food.

Offlinegreen711
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana use tied to serious diabetes complication [Re: ellomello]
    #25607835 - 11/11/18 07:09 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana use tied to serious diabetes complication [Re: green711]
    #25608527 - 11/12/18 05:46 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

if i could make a wild guess here, it would be the majority diabetic cannabis users,
probably get munchies, more than non users, then eat unhealthy sugary junk foo

Right, yes, i guess i kinda forgot about how intense the munchies can be for people who arent everyday smokers

I remember when i started, just could not put snacks and stuff down. Man, i kinda miss that "first year getting high" stuff. Its similar to how i feel now with a strong edible or like a crazy ass dab or something

But not crazy munchies, and i would at first get this vision shifting thing. Like a camera that goes a little to the left, then a little to the right, then back to center.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineAlias_McNobody
Stranger
    #26597991 - 04/13/20 01:01 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I'm a Type 1 diabetic, and have been using cannabis for around 6 years.

I recently got a certificate from my GP, telling that I was "looking after my diabetes really well". My Hemoglobin A1C has been around 6.5% for years (which is VERY good).

If you're a diabetic, I'd recommend not smoking since it isn't great for circulation - but as long as you are responsible enough to control your blood levels, you'll be fine. I use edibles for this reason, and I prefer it anyhow.

The issues with diabetes are blood sugars being too low, or high. Take care to deal with this, and there isn't an issue. If some diabetes are too stoned to take care of their medical needs, that isn't weed's fault.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale