Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Prefab Homes.
    #25595881 - 11/06/18 10:56 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Anybody here work in prefabricated homes? I would be interested in working in this field. I think there is maybe potential for prefabricated home manufacturers to qualify for energy subsidies if the homes are made to be energy efficient and have solar panels installed. "Hempcrete" or "Jutecrete" are carbon negative products that I would like to have in my own energy efficient prefabricated home.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Prefab Homes. [Re: BicycleT]
    #25596023 - 11/06/18 12:12 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/11/05/why-be-bullish-on-manufactured-homes.aspx

Buffett saw it first
There are several viable stock plays in manufactured housing; one is Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK-A). When manufactured homes were wallowing in the pits in 2003, Berkshire's guru Warren Buffett, true to his nature as a value investor, saw that it was an opportune time to acquire Clayton Homes, a large manufactured-home company based in Knoxville, TN.

Partaking of fortunes in the Buffett empire sure looks attractive, as it also encompasses lucrative positions in insurance, freight rail transportation, utilities, and energy generation and distribution. As ordinary retail investors know, however, this equity may be out of their league. It has a market cap of over $282 billion and currently trades with a trailing 12-month P/E at slightly under 15, which looks attractive. At its current price hovering around the $170,000 per share, however, Berkshire is prohibitively expensive for small investors.

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25596024 - 11/06/18 12:13 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25596043 - 11/06/18 12:24 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineKing Klick
That Guy Everyone Knows
Male User Gallery

#25635976 - 11/24/18 10:39 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Hempcrete isn't quite a viable solution for housing framework. I don't believe so yet anyways. Your work would have to be sent through an engineer and then pre-approved by the local examiners and that's money.

And people who live in manufactured homes do it for the money, not the environment, TYPICALLY. I've heard different things on the cost.

And the problem with learning a trade on manufactured homes is that everything is streamlined and you're expected to know and operate your tools damn near perfectly. I've been a carpenter for 5 years but I fucking hate drilling into metal.

Are you trying to own a company? Or work for someone else? Or just build your own?

--------------------
Your god is dead, and I killed him.

When you’re lost, here I am. Forever with your soul

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Prefab Homes. [Re: King Klick]
    #25639893 - 11/26/18 10:09 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I want to work for someone else at this point and probably own my own pre-fabricated home. I don't think it is a radical idea to offer energy consumption information about certain models of pre-fabricated homes; make that a selling point. That is the reason I would like to apply for some R & D grants from the DOE, for the research and creation of energy efficient models of homes. The study would cost money and actually building the homes costs money. I would be an asset as a researcher who is attempting to secure grant money and also as a laborer with actual construction skills.

I want a house that consumes only one pound of biomass per day. This is a reasonable goal. Creating a small, off-grid load by insulating a small floor plan and siting windows for passive solar heating in the winter.

Edited by BicycleT (11/26/18 10:19 AM)

OfflineKing Klick
That Guy Everyone Knows
Male User Gallery

#25639952 - 11/26/18 10:34 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

They won't give you an r and d grant for energy efficient homes. That's a privatized interest at this point. Lol.
People are already paying a lot out of pocket to do it. And the government helps with...very little.

The government works around the current state of construction engineering, not the other way around. And builders and architects are always trying to design a more efficient home. Not to burst your bubble. But you can easily learn how to do it and work your way towards that.

--------------------
Your god is dead, and I killed him.

When you’re lost, here I am. Forever with your soul

Edited by King Klick (11/26/18 10:35 AM)

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
Re: Prefab Homes. [Re: King Klick]
    #25640534 - 11/26/18 03:12 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Prefab Homes. [Re: 5150]
    #25642746 - 11/27/18 01:32 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

There is funding available from the government for R&D. You might be confusing the slashes to subsidies for green energy projects that were slashed in the 2016 tax plan.

I found a job at a company in Wisconsin that manufactures generators. There are also companies that manufacture prefabricated homes in the area. A prefabricated house that uses small solar panels and small generators for its energy needs is clearly a product that is en vogue. Many prefabricated homes are constructed where there are not municipal housing codes, but maybe this market could be expanded by lobbying local governments. Energy efficient pre-fabricated homes could also just as easily be tied to the grid, but in rural areas this product could be an even more eco-friendly option by consuming biomass and being 100% renewable.

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25642747 - 11/27/18 01:33 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25642756 - 11/27/18 01:37 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I actually care about the environment and in my market research, I've found that Berkshire Hathaway has purchased prefabricated home manufactures in Tennessee. Berkshire Hathaway has also paid for large solar field installations for Edison Power in California. $2b projects for SunPower Solar which is actually in a death spiral, today the market cap is $1.015b. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I would like to see those efficient cells to be manufactured in the US.

Edited by BicycleT (11/27/18 01:41 PM)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25642777 - 11/27/18 01:45 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Microgrids are the future.

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25642793 - 11/27/18 01:54 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25642800 - 11/27/18 01:56 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order