Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemaddon
Stranger
My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs)
    #25586011 - 11/02/18 03:55 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Soo
i just started with the cultivation of mushrooms a few weeks ago.
i went through many, some absurd, some practical and some proven methods and will tell u about my conclusions and the way to grow as a newb.
noone else need to make the same mistakes like me.

when i started to collect informations i was pretty limited in sources and knowledge about the stuff i gotta buy.
i asked myself: where do i get that stuff like ray or a cheap pressure cooker, what is agar and wtf how to get rid of bacterias.

so i began to buy jars. in my country there are many shops where u can buy jars for 1,50 or less.
started to buy large glasses and realized that the size isnt that important and they need more material and more time to colonize.
after a few weeks testing i decided to switch bigger ones to 375 ml ones that i can buy for 1.25 per.
okay jars there but how to fill it?
i read like 1000 pages of guides and recommandations and decided to buy rice flour and ray as my 2 favourites substrates. also the idea of the vermaculite layers sounded interesting to me bco it seems easy, effective and i went to the library of me university and read in one ofe the few books about psilos, that mushrooms need gypsum or sth comparable for calcium? or magnesium? i dont know but they need that kind of minerals.
i found lots of verm in the reptile shop. its not expensive but also not cheap due to the high amount of verm that u need in the jars.
bought rice flour at asian store. bought different kinds for testing.
then i bought some syringes in the internet. i found a legit looking shop in austria that sold me 10 syringes for a good price while they praysed their own business and their sterile products.

had still no pc!

My first jars:
Soo i finally bought everything that i needed and followed the instruction of some 1 who didnt sterilize the jars in a pressure cooker or somewhere else. the guide told me to cook the semen 1 hour long and fill em in the jar and mix it with verm and placing verm on the top.
did that with 4 jars.
tried some birdseeds and tried some rice flour.
didnt use foil to cover the top, i also think that i used too much water bco the jars looked very wet.
after 5 days i found some life in the jars.
after 7 days there was white fluffy "something" inside. i checked out the internet and was unsecure if it was a contamination or if it was some mycellum growing.
after 14 days i saw yello contam, red contam, black contam, green contam, every contam i read about.
i didnt trust that method so i bought some new glass while they were molding.
1ST RUN 4/4 Contams. Reason: not sterile
helpful advices: clean the jars as good as u can. the  rice flour ones were very greasy. remove every dirt outside and inside the jar that develop while filling the jars.
ray and birdseed seemed very easy to me and one could see changes very fast.

2nd run: i read much about agar pre growing and decided to try it out aswell. i had couple of money to invest so i was just trying everything out to learn as much as possible.
didnt find petri dishes so i bought small glass shells that had no lid bco i didnt find some and was hoping to solve this problem by using foil:wrapping film.
also made 6 new glasses.
i cooked the rest of the seeds and ray of the 1st attempt that i deep fryed  for another 30 mins and washed em looong time under cold water.
the small shells were filled by dog food agar. the thing is, i didnt grind the doog food(dry) and hoped that they will become soft and mix with the water automatically. mistake! wouldnt recommand to make dogfood agar anyways bco its stinking the colour is weird and my dog tried to eat that lil dog cakes.
wrapped some foil around it and left it cooling for 30 min or longer.
the ray and bird seeds jars got filled with verm again with a verm layer.
now i used a pot with a lid without holes to sterilize those jars.
i took another lid of another pot that was smaller than my big pot and placed it inside my pot that i wanted to use to sterilize. then i filled some destilated water inside and left 3 jars cook for 1 hour.
3 were cooking 30 min.
the pot worked fine in my eyes and there was a bunch of water vape inside it.
then i took the glass shells and sterilized them with the agar inside and the wrapping foil (1 layer) around inside the same pot. made 10 of them. the jars were cooling down in other pots that i placed outside.
also i couldnt cook all of the shells at once so i made 2 waves of it:
2 x 4
and didnt cook the other 2 for study
didnt use aluminium foil either.
incubated the warm jars and the warm agar. didnt place the spored on top of the shells and also didnt incubated the jars at the edge(along the glass) but more inside it (still did the 4 holes at the frame)
the jars were pretty warm and i had remorse if all the spores died.

all shells contaminated or didnt grow mycel. some seemed sterile to me (i placed em in a all day desinfection sprayed container) and about 6 were safely contamed. threw the agar away. ordered some petri dishes in the web 1 day ago now) will try that again later with more knowledge.
of the 6 jars 3 made it until now (no contam after 11 days) and they seem to show some mycelum growing(not sure bout it but i saw every kind of contam and this looks good and new to me) i think these were the 3 that i cooked 1 hr long. ive put some alufoil on top of it bco im afraid they could dry out on top of my radiator.
1 didnt have any growth so i incubated it again with a syringe that looked very contamed to ,me (black small points inside that was "colonizing" the frame) and put all of the left 4 ml spore liquid inside so i could figure out for future time if it was contamed or just some spores settling there.
after 3 more days all 4 show life. the one with maybe contamed syringe just grew the hopefully mycel veeery fast.
placed em additional on my radiator that ive set on 2/5 so they get a nice temperature (they were growing very slow b4)

my advice/result so far on day 12:
do petri dish things inside petri dishes. u dont need a pressure cooker but some fitting stuff at home.
put alu foil on top!!!!!
incubate cool jars!! and dishes eventhough my jars that cooled down 1.5 h show life but they needed 7 days to show first growing (think its slowed down by the wrong proceed)
dont cook agar after it became solid alrdy!
dont do agar without experience and the necessary stuff.
2/6 jars contamed 4 look gr8 10/10 agar... contamed or useless

3rd run:
5 days after incubating the 2nd run i was alrdy motivated to make some new jars.
this time i made 3 very small jars with bird seeds and ray and some others with rice flour. (7 or 8 jars 4 seeds 3 or 4 rice, dunno)
i took the stuff to my girlfriends flat bc i had no time at home.
filled the ray glasses like the 1st time but didnt precook them.
also filled the rice flour like a instruction told me.
verm inside and on top ofc.
had no big enough pot so i googled and found an instruction where some 1 sterilized with the microwave. it said : microwave the jars without lid. did this or 30 mins and i think all of the glasses dried out.
the rice flour ones became 1 big sticky and solid mass and the seed ones still lokking ok but a bit dry.
also microwaved some water 1 day after incubation and filled every cup with at least 10 ml water.
i also placed 2 huge jars filled with terrarium soil, 2-5 g agar, some rice flour and seeds for over 2 hours in the oven at 180 degree celsius. i revomed the lid aswell and after 2 hours the verm layer was pressed out a bit so it was a good choice to remove it.
these are 5 days old today. yesterday there was no sign of life but maybe today.

advice/conclusion:
dont microwave substrates. i read about some ppl trying it differently by adding glasses with water with the jars to deny drying but i think thats not legit.
oven is interesting but i cannot say anything to that yet atkeast these jars did not dry out.
microwaving water seems very risky for me.
go buy the biggest sack of verm because u will need it!!

run 4:
i washed the glasses of the 8 contams that i alrdy had with warm water and dish washer, left them drying and filed em with bird seeds. this time i bough some seeds for budgies bco they were cheap and they were looking nice. b4 i always left the sunflowercores inside and this time there are none.
cooked them 1/2 h and filled em with verm inside the jars cleaned the top carefully and added the verm layer. i was thinking that the seeds were a bit too moisty but with the verm they are looking good.
i also tried some seeds and they are delicious.
added the lid and alu foil and right now im pressure cooking them inside my pc that i bought at a local flea market app.  for 30. the new price was sth about 150-200. im so proud.

im gonna let it pc and let it cooldown in my sterile box.
wont add new foil on it and keep the old.
its pcin with the alu foil.
bought petri dishes with glcuose agar (without anything they are more expensive). i read that it shall not be very good but ima trying atleast 4-5 of them. theyll arrive in a few days.

my 4 glasses that show life fascinate me and i hope theyll make it or atleast 2 of them.

so my overall conclusion is:
dont follow every instruction.
it seems to me that a pressure cooker is a must have to safe lots of work and money.
work clean.
use verm!
the warmer it is the faster the mycellum grows (read about max 30 degrees) and can confirm that.
use alu foil to prohibit drying.

and dont dont think u are a advanced biologist just bco u microscoped some leafs in the school and make agar business. just do seed and ray jars and  read many many insctructions. dont think u dont need a pc.

these are my spectations so far.
u can ask questions and comment on here im thankfully for every suggestions and conversations cuz im new here and its my 1st thing im writing sth and would like to exchange some knowledge.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemaddon
Stranger
Re: My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs) [Re: maddon]
    #25586018 - 11/02/18 04:04 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Edited by maddon (11/02/18 04:22 AM)

OfflineGeinstein
Shroomery addict
Male User Gallery

Re: My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs) [Re: maddon] * 1
    #25586030 - 11/02/18 04:28 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

No ones going to read that
But welcome and nice that you giving it a shot

Little tip brake up what you want to know into small and easy chunks to get better responses.

--------------------

Nothing breads nothing

Offlinemaddon
Stranger
Re: My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs) [Re: Geinstein]
    #25586322 - 11/02/18 08:59 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Update:
2 of the 8 new glasses that i made in oven/microwave show signs of life.
White fluff but colonizing the outside of corns. May be mold but lets wait and see

Offlinemaddon
Stranger
    #25588266 - 11/03/18 03:40 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

3/8 show signs 1 of it looks very good.

InvisibleAcuriousmycologist
"Asking for a friend"
 User Gallery

#25588304 - 11/03/18 04:07 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

"cook the semen one hour"  :datass:

OfflineGrimsweeper
don't fear the sweeper
 User Gallery

Loc: broom closet
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs) [Re: Acuriousmycologist]
    #25588328 - 11/03/18 04:41 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

:didntread: 

But welcome!

--------------------
When you clean a vacuum cleaner you are a vacuum cleaner
Build yourself a Flow Hood in these 99 simple steps

Offlinemaddon
Stranger
Re: My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs) [Re: Grimsweeper]
    #25588331 - 11/03/18 04:43 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

The 2nd run with normal pot sterilization looks veery good. 1/6 alrdy colonized no contam so far.

Do i have to wait with the casin until it is fully colonized? Since the jars are pretty old alrdy?

Offlinemaddon
Stranger
    #25590697 - 11/04/18 02:47 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

The 2 jars outta the oven looks veeery good.
Microwaved jars still nothing too dry. I wait some days and will rehydrate it.

OfflineMrCraggles
 User Gallery

#25590707 - 11/04/18 02:58 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Acuriousmycologist said:

My eyes were immediately drawn to the semen and I disregarded the rest :freewilly:

--------------------
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back

InvisibleSunny Skies
Cluster Head
 User Gallery

Loc: my house
Re: My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs) [Re: MrCraggles]
    #25590879 - 11/04/18 06:38 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Love your conclusion....

OfflineMrCraggles
 User Gallery

Re: My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs) [Re: Sunny Skies]
    #25590899 - 11/04/18 06:56 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I'm surprised you're not a trusted cultivator!

--------------------
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back

Offlinemaddon
Stranger
    #25591456 - 11/04/18 11:20 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Some mycellum of run 2.
4/4 looking like this or better

Offlinemaddon
Stranger
    #25591457 - 11/04/18 11:21 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineHALFemptyJOSH
Magician
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #25591551 - 11/04/18 12:23 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

well that looks promising.. is that grain and vermiculite?

Offlinemaddon
Stranger
Re: My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs) [Re: HALFemptyJOSH]
    #25591586 - 11/04/18 12:48 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Yes

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25591609 - 11/04/18 12:58 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

so my overall conclusion is:
dont follow every instruction

:what:

InvisibleAcuriousmycologist
"Asking for a friend"
 User Gallery

#25592791 - 11/04/18 11:05 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MrCraggles said:
Quote:

Acuriousmycologist said:

My eyes were immediately drawn to the semen and I disregarded the rest :freewilly:

I'm with you. It's all about the semen.

Offlinemaddon
Stranger
    #25593128 - 11/05/18 05:03 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Got some beautiful mycel growing now.
Will post more results.
The 2 oven jars still look good but colonize very slwoly.
The rice ones still too dry. Will wait 4 days until theyll get rehydrated.
Need some advices for dat

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first exp in cultivation (nice tips for noobs) [Re: maddon] * 1
    #25593356 - 11/05/18 08:29 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

My conclusion is don't even bother reading posts with so many spelling errors.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom