Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Running
    #25534169 - 10/13/18 10:04 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Not sure if this is supposed to go in this forum or the Great Outdoors forum.  Move it if need be.  But anyway, this thread is about running.  Any runners here?  I started running 1-1/2 years ago and I'm loving it.  I run (mostly walk) a 4.6 mile trail once, sometimes twice, per week (when it's nice out). 

What kind of shoes and insoles do you guys recommend?  I already have a good pair of $50 insoles.  But as far as shoes, I have New Balance.  They were the cheapest and they're my first ever running shoe.  But now that it's obvious that I'm going to stick with this, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a higher quality /more expensive shoe.  Looking to reduce the impact on my aging feet, ankles, shins, knees, hips, etc. 

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegoslugsgo

Re: Running [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #25563178 - 10/24/18 12:09 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Running is for people that can't swim.

Kidding aside, is there a running-specific store nearby? They probably will be more than you'd like to spend, but drop the coin and go to those who know how to do it right. Your joints will thank you and you'll have confidence that you've got the right gear for you.

Since you have proven that this will be a long-term activity it will be money well spent, as it will presumably keep you in good health for years to come.

Good luck and kudos for picking up a healthy hobby.

--------------------
I am just an atom in an ectoplasmic sea without direction or a reason to exist.
The anechoic nebula rotating in my brain is persuading me, contritely, to persist.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Running [Re: goslugsgo]
    #25571021 - 10/27/18 09:21 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

That's GBG!  Yeah, it's definitely something that I'm going to continue doing.  There is a running store close to where I live.  That's where I got my $50 insoles.  I went to the store and the lady helped me figure out which ones I should get.  We got to the register and I thought she was going to say $15 maybe?  I almost fell over when she said $50 plus.  So I can only imagine how much their shoes are going to be.  I was hoping to find out which shoes are the best and then buy them online. 

--------------------

Offlinegoslugsgo

#25571664 - 10/27/18 02:26 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Right on. Get them on your feet to make the best decision and get ready for the hard sell.

--------------------
The anechoic nebula rotating in my brain is persuading me, contritely, to persist.

InvisibleBumholio
What's the craic
 User Gallery

Loc: Shroomsville
    #25731125 - 01/08/19 08:46 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Hey mang, I was going to start a running thread but found this one:thumbup:

I was hoping to see  if other shroomeritians were in to running? I've been at it on and off for a few years now, but I'm back at it and atm I'm running 5k in 28/29 minutes.

I'm looking to increase now to 10k, training 3 times a week (if my knees will allow it:shrug:)

How is you training going, did you get sorted for shoes?

--------------------

"great things may come to those who wait, but only what's left by those who hustle"

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Running [Re: Bumholio]
    #25732002 - 01/08/19 04:35 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Nah man, I still haven't bought the shoes yet, but I'm going to sometime soon.  It's too cold to run now.  I made this thread at the end of the running season just about.  But I'm going to get a good pair this year.  I really think my best bet is to check Amazon top rated list.  What do you wear?

--------------------

InvisibleBumholio
What's the craic
 User Gallery

#25732921 - 01/08/19 11:43 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Heres what to do:
Go to a running/sports store that does biometric assessments and gait analysis, lots of them do it now. Basically they put you on a treadmill and you run for like 30 second or so and they film your legs while you're running.

From that you can see the line of your leg from the hip to the foot each time it strikes the ground and can advise you of the best shoe to counter any gait issues.

For example I found out I have fallen arches on my feet, which makes my ankles bend inwards each time my foot hits the floor, this was causing  me to get shin splint which is painful af, so they recommend me shoes with arch support and touch wood I've not had splints since.

When they recommend you a shoe (itll likely be a really expensive top brand shoe) say you'll think about it and come back later, then go and find that shoe online for loads cheaper.

Generally once you find a shoe you like you tend to stick with that same one for the rest of your running days if you keep it up.

Nowadays I'm wearing a pair of under armour that I got in a sale in a sports store. They're just standard shoes but I bought some arch support inserts online for fairly cheap, under £10 (like 12 USD I think) and they have been really good. Not sure how they'll do if I start going longer distances though:shrug:

--------------------

"great things may come to those who wait, but only what's left by those who hustle"

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: Running [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #25733583 - 01/09/19 10:16 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I used to run 60 miles a week when I was in my late 20's to mid 30's.Ran a couple marathons....one in 3hr:13 min. Anyway, be careful and don't overdo it. I wound up with a hip replacement at 49 yrs. old and the balls of my feet have some nerve damage. Also had a couple stress fractures during my time.

I tried all kinds of shoes but most of them would ware out quickly because of pronation. The brand that I found to be the most comfortable and longest lasting were Brooks...not sure if they even make them any more.

I loved that headspace zone that they call runners high...was addicted to it. It woluld start about 20 min. into the run when you worked out all the pains and kinks and then kind of went into cruise control for a while.

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

InvisibleBumholio
What's the craic
 User Gallery

Re: Running [Re: Thayendanegea] * 1
    #25734098 - 01/09/19 02:56 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Damn, that's some miles dude.

Yeah, pronation is what I have, my ankle rolls inwards (i was told due to fallen arches) and i get the same my shoes wear out on the inner heel real quick.

I love getting in that zone, when i run a few years back that's all it was, one foot infront of the other, auto pilot to fuck. Did a half marathon 5 years ago and never run anything like it  since.

I'm definitely paying for it these days though:shrug: ligament problem in my right knee and, not severe, but some small amount of pain in my left hip. I love it though I've gone from 35 minutes and stopping to walk about 3 times for a 5k to 28.25 minutes last Saturday in about 2 to 3 months. Looking to do 10k end of March.

--------------------

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
    #25737294 - 01/11/19 12:53 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I ran for 20 years and destroyed my knees. Towards the end I ran at a track at Urbana High School made from recycled tires. I believe that if I always was on a surface like that my knees would be good.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

InvisibleBumholio
What's the craic
 User Gallery

Re: Running [Re: Brian Jones]
    #25737305 - 01/11/19 01:06 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Can I ask how old you are Brian (or how old you were when your knees fucked up)?

Also what trainers did you wear?

--------------------

InvisibleTexas Honey BadgerM
No fucks given
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Spicemaster Texas
Re: Running [Re: Learyfan]
    #25738950 - 01/11/19 07:52 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Not sure if this is supposed to go in this forum or the Great Outdoors forum.  Move it if need be.  But anyway, this thread is about running.  Any runners here?  I started running 1-1/2 years ago and I'm loving it.  I run (mostly walk) a 4.6 mile trail once, sometimes twice, per week (when it's nice out). 

What kind of shoes and insoles do you guys recommend?  I already have a good pair of $50 insoles.  But as far as shoes, I have New Balance.  They were the cheapest and they're my first ever running shoe.  But now that it's obvious that I'm going to stick with this, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a higher quality /more expensive shoe.  Looking to reduce the impact on my aging feet, ankles, shins, knees, hips, etc. 

New balance are good for any starter runner
I used to run a lot and had my hip replaced oct 15th
Getting the other one replaced on Feb 19th
You might want to get you a bike instead, thats what i am going to do after my recovery

My runners hip xray, left side has been replaced

My left hip replacement pic including the hip drain
I was working and climbing a ladder 3 weeks after surgery:derdance:

How old are you now?
You rock Learyfan:thumbup::heart:

--------------------

Some call me Paw 🐾

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Running [Re: Texas Honey Badger]
    #25739846 - 01/12/19 10:04 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

You guys are scaring the shit out of me.  I might stop running because of this thread.  I do NOT want to put myself in a position where I have to get hip or knee surgery. 

:sad:

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Running [Re: Learyfan]
    #25740190 - 01/12/19 01:47 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

me either. tried practicing for LA marathon coming this march, but got up to 5 miles and my fucking feet were decimated. am still not healed from a 5 miles run that was like 4 months ago... have gone to podiatrist and all that shit but havent really gotten better.

running takes a toll man

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
    #25741427 - 01/13/19 07:45 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Bumholio said:
Can I ask how old you are Brian (or how old you were when your knees fucked up)?

Also what trainers did you wear?

I'm 61. My knees were shot by time I was 38 or 39. I wore knee braces for about 12 years after that. I started running wearing Nikes and then New Balance.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

InvisibleBumholio
What's the craic
 User Gallery

Re: Running [Re: Brian Jones]
    #25741623 - 01/13/19 09:27 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I run with a brace on my knee now lol.

I've signed up to do a 10k end of March, itll be my first for 5/6 years.

--------------------

Offlinegoslugsgo

#25741843 - 01/13/19 11:27 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

As stated above: running is for people that don't know how to swim.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Running [Re: goslugsgo]
    #25762500 - 01/23/19 06:37 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I wish you guys would talk me back into running again.  All this hip and knee replacement talk really has me shook.  I've heard it before and now I'm scared.  I only run 6 months out of the year.  During that 6 months, it's 1 to 2 days per week.  4.6 miles of running, but mostly walking, because it's a trail.

--------------------

InvisibleBumholio
What's the craic
 User Gallery

#25762569 - 01/23/19 07:09 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

1 to 2 days a week is perfect, a lot of my problems have been because I didn't allow enough time to recover properly.

On a positive note, I did a PB for 5k on Saturday 28.09, not my actual PB, I used to do it in about 25m but my best from starting up again recently.

--------------------

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
    #25765005 - 01/24/19 09:11 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I think that's a good regiment ...running/ walking is a good way to go about it. Important thing is that it gets you outside and improves your quality of life....If it ceases to do this, then just stop.

I was much healthier physically back then but running became an obsession to go faster and further...that's where I crashed. I think running successfully depends alot on your physical frame. If you are on the heavy side of healthy weight, it is much harder on everything in your body.

A lot of people try running to lose weight which is not the way to go....you should lose weight via dieting first, then start running.
Good luck to you!

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates