Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Plastic Surgery (what do you think?)
    #2552797 - 04/12/04 11:14 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Today I finished the book I was reading, so I switched on the TV for the first time in about a week. I ended up watching three different shows on plastic surgery and it probably wasn't the healthiest thing to watch really, because now I'm thinking about what I would have done if I could.

So, what do you think about plastic surgery? What if getting it would improve a person's self-image?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: MOTH]
    #2552821 - 04/12/04 11:20 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

I once saw this episode of Pinky-and-the-Brain (which I suppose was *technically* part of Animaniacs) where Brain got ahold of this magic wand thingy that shrunk people down to the size of a lima bean...which he wound up eventually using on Micheal Jackson (which of course resulted in a miniture Micheal Jackson with a huge prosthetic nose)

my point being - plastic surgery = the suxx  :tongue:

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Invisibleacidcrys
intoxicating
Female User Gallery

Loc: Home.
    #2552826 - 04/12/04 11:21 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

I think its kindve sad.. most things either can be improved other ways - or they're just a part of a person that they should accept and love. If its a health defect that needs to be dealt with or they face death.. then I understand.

I used to think about getting surgery on my nipple. I have one inverted nipple and a regular one. I've always been realllyyy realllyy insecure about it.. but I think I've gotten to the point where.. I just dont care. If the guy I'm with doesn't like it.. then he has his own issues to deal with.

Sorry if thats too much info ;p

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: acidcrys]
    #2552865 - 04/12/04 11:30 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

inverted nipples are sexy  :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: acidcrys]
    #2552873 - 04/12/04 11:32 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Hell yeah...I loved Pinky and the Brain.  And they had their own show for awhile too.  :thumbup:

Anyway...I guess everyone goes through days where they like themselves more then others.  I have some...um.....

...well..since you shared about your nipple and stuff acidcrys and this is the Pub where hopefully nobody will burn me, I have many visible scars that I 'maybe' wouldn't mind getting rid of.  Sucks not being able to wear short sleeves in summer because of them.  Basically my whole wardrobe is dictated by what I can wear because of my scars.  It sort of bums me out if I think about it too much.  I don't even remember what my body looks like without scars.  Agh, maybe that is too much information..heh.  :tongue:

But anyway...if I were to get anything plastic surgery-ish done, it would be on that.  Then it wouldn't be wrong though...would it?  I don't know.  :crazy:  *hides*

*me*

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2552913 - 04/12/04 11:41 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

pfft...I used to go to this dance studio where one of the instructors had some sort of funky ass looking red mark on her chest just below her neck (I forget exactly what they're called, but I know it has something to do with some sort of birth defect or some shit)

anyways - at first I was kinda 'stand-off-ish' about it...but then I found out she was really fucken cool as all hell, and then suddenly I didn't even reognise the red marks any more (they basically just disappeared, and I really didn't ever even notice em after that)

fuck that shit...people will either accept you for who you are, or reject you for some piddly as superficial bullshit like that (and if they are that sort of person - fuck them...you're better off without that sort of negative superficial bullcrap in your life)

--------------------

Invisibleeric_the_red
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#2552936 - 04/12/04 11:48 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Invisibleacidcrys
intoxicating
Female User Gallery

Loc: Home.
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: eric_the_red]
    #2552969 - 04/12/04 11:55 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

You notice how after the surgery all of them have tan lines?

muppet - i dont mind them. .but its a little odd when you have One inverted and another that is "big" (or said my best friend when I showed her.. hah.) .. beh

Elle - I completely understand, Ori has scars on his back.. and he always hated them.. but I think I've helped him to grow out of that a bit. My oldest brother also was in a fire.. and most of his body was covered in burns.. he's learned to love it.. it used to make me depressed before.. but now I just accept as who my brother is.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2552988 - 04/13/04 12:00 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

I'm totally against plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons. People should learn to be happy with the body they were born with. If someone's face was deformed or burned in an accident, that's another story.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Loc: The Shroomery... retard
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: silversoul7]
    #2553931 - 04/13/04 10:14 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

I'm totally against plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons. People should learn to be happy with the body they were born with. If someone's face was deformed or burned in an accident, that's another story.

That's certainly a nice thought silversoul, but that is something oh' so' much easier said then done. Your ego is defined on how people react with you and when you get alot of bad intitial reactions it's hard for most people to develop an ego that can overcome those reactions. Some people can do it, a lot can not. It's difficult for even physically normal people to be happy with thenselves and their body, it's even harder when you have to overcome some physical abnormality as well. If you can't be happy with yourself, well then there is no reason why you should deny youself that happiness however superficial it may be. It certainly is sad that as an intellegent race we haven't overcome things like that, there's alot of people that need to do a lot of growing up. I think in the end it's what will make you happy, it's your life do what you want, fuck the rest of us.

--------------------
What'd I tell you about looking at my signature bitch!

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2555285 - 04/13/04 03:16 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Plastic surgerey = g3h :thumbdown:

--------------------

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: Flux]
    #2555352 - 04/13/04 03:38 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

people like that are truely sad...there's something wrong with them if they take stuff like that so seriously

and don't try to say that for some people it's so constant that they can't help but feel that way, cause I know for a fact that that's a load of crap - I've known plenty of hideously ugly people that get stared at and looked down upon consistantly, and they didn't sit around feeling bad about themselves...most of them understand that people like that are just shallow and their opinions don't mean shit

granted - some people like this delude themselves into believing that they're actually beautiful, which certainly isn't any more healthy then trying to mask their features with plastic surgery...but they seems to be a minority (at least from what I've seen)

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: eric_the_red]
    #2555408 - 04/13/04 03:50 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

eric_the_red said:

suddenly Im a big fan!!!!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Edited by Ripple (04/13/04 03:52 PM)

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2555411 - 04/13/04 03:51 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

It seems to me like those who get superficial cosmetic plastic surgery often look WORSE afterwards. It's unfortunate that so many people chase a social standard of what beauty, always trying to perfect the way they look when they already look fine. I'm one of those guys who just hate fake breasts, since you might as well squeeze some produce at the grocery store. Same look to them.

Something like scars is a bit different though, since it's probably a less dramatic surgery, and harder to be "self-confident" about. I think a lot can be said about over coming insecurities. For awhile I thought I was ugly, but apparently it was more my lack of self-confidence. Like Flux said, it can be hard to overcome those initial reactions, which I think was caused in part by my lack of self-confidence.

I've also come to love "character" in a woman's face, things which might to some people seem like something to be self-conscious about, but actually add something interesting. I?m not talking about disfigurement, but more natural beauty. It looks a lot better than airbrushed models.

In short, I think being more self-aware is a more healthy option than surgery, although not all plastic surgery is "bad" either. I think the big thing with something like scars is whether there are any risks and whether if it's affordable. It's hard for me to make a judgement on it one way or the other.

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Loc: The Shroomery... retard
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: Muppet]
    #2555428 - 04/13/04 03:54 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

I know that alot people could give a fuck less what assholes like think about them, and that's cool. Some can't and plastic surgery may be the only way they can deal with it. Don't get me wrong I'm against going under the knife purely for reasons of vanity, but what can you do? I'm certainly not a plastic surgeon so it's not like I'm trying to convince people to go out and get a nose job but fuck, if it doesn't hurt anyone else but themselves then why judge them? We do drugs and if we're responsible about it it isn't going to hurt any but ourselves (maybe), we know that, but a lot of non-users don't see that and probably look down on us in the same light. I suppose it depends on the situation, nothings black and white. Peace, Flux

--------------------
What'd I tell you about looking at my signature bitch!

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: Muppet]
    #2555431 - 04/13/04 03:54 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Their life, they do what they want. You color your hair, get piercings, get tattoos...

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Loc: vermont
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: valour]
    #2555528 - 04/13/04 04:15 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

okay well i'll share my story - PLEASEEEEEE no flaming me. Really this is a very sensitive subject.

When I was younger I HATED my nose. It wasn't bad - had a really nice shape actually - however I felt it was too long. Weird - I know - but in middle school I was made fun of. I hated it and it really fucked with my head. I became very depressed (not just because of the nose of course).

A year before this whole realization of me hating my nose - I was playing with a friend and got hit in the face with a BIG wooden front door (long story). Apparently it cut off the air flow in my nose and I had horrible migraines. Found out I only got 5% clearance in my nose breathing and that was why I was getting these headaches.

To make a LONGER story short - my mom decided to take me to a surgeon. We went to a guy in NYC who's office was across from Central Park and oh wow was it beautiful. African artwork under glass, leather couches and chairs, a doorman, etc. Aparently my cousin (not blood related) went to him and said he was amazing.

Well - in the consultation we talked about moving my septum so I could breathe because apparently it was knocked out of place. Then he started talking about changing the shape of my nose. We didn't want him to do that at first - but the more he talked about it and how great it would look - the more we thought it was a good idea.

After surgery - I was beat up. It hurt and I was really scared. I got the bandages removed and my nose looked HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! The doctor told me that it was all "swelling" and everything would be fine. We trusted him.

After 6 months - the "swelling" did not go away. My nose looked really weird. It looked worse than my original nose.

That's when my mom took me to NYU Hospital. We talked to the Ears, Nose and Throat doctor there and the plastic surgeon there. They both told us that the first doctor did NOT even fix the septum and that my nose was going to colapse. I was freaked out.

After many check ups and meetings - I went under the knife again. They told me that they might have to graft cartilage from my ear to replace the stuff taken from my nose on the first surgery.

Well - after a surgery that was even MORE painful than the first - I am somewhat happy with my nose now. I kinda wish I didn't go through with it at all but my breathing is better - I no longer get headaches - and I have been complimented on my nose (even though I think it's too small - but whatever).

We ended up suing the other doctor for malpractice and winning.

The story is much more detailed and upsetting than I just explained it as - however that would take forever to write and no one wants to read it all.

Part of me is happy I got it done - it has helped my self esteem a LOT - the other half wishes I didn't go through all that trouble.

Honestly - if it makes you happy - why not? I am pretty honest with my nose and won't lie and say it's natural if someone asks. Would I do anything else? Hell no - I love my body and how I look now.

It's easy to tell someone "that's ridiculous" or "that was really stupid - just deal with what you were born with" but when your memories are of being made fun of - it's a really big relief to get over them.

Valour said it best - it's their life - it's my life - I'll do what I want.

--------------------
Fuck Ted Nugent he?s a fucking jerk
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he
Forgot how to write a song

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: Delyrium]
    #2555558 - 04/13/04 04:20 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Exactly, if it makes you happy god bless!!!!!

Oh and no ones gonna flame you here Del! :cool:

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Plastic Surgery (what do you think?) [Re: Flux]
    #2555567 - 04/13/04 04:22 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

oh I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to do what they want to their own bodies, I'm just saying that a lot of the time it's completely unnecessary...it's like Twirling said - a little self confidence is all someone really needs, and sugery shouldn't ever be the only way for someone to become confident with who they are

in my mind someone that feels they need to get something done in order to feel good about themselves, should really consider some sort of psychiatry or something before they consider disfiguring themselves...cause there's typically something deeper that lies at the root of their feelings of inadequitcy that'll still be there even after surgery

--------------------

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2555584 - 04/13/04 04:24 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Hey, whatever nibbles your bisquit, right?  I'm not so much for plastic surgery in some ways, but paradoxly I am for it thinking as how we all live once and why not fix a part of you if you dont like it.  I'm dealing with my mom getting addicted to plastic surgery now, so... I guess thats why I feel queezy about it. 

If you feel bad about your scars and dont feel like you could wear the type of clothes you really would like to wear then why not.  Either you could work on how you feel about your scars or you could do the operation, thats the way I see it. 

I'm NOT for my mom doing a silicone implant in her breasts though, BIG nightmare :shocked: :blush: :mad:

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale