Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegrommet
fuckin' amature
Innoc. point problems.
    #2554480 - 04/13/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hey all, I recently got a syringe of B+ from The Spore Works and i made half pint jars with brf and verm substrate. I sterilized the jars by boiling them in a pot for an hour. After innoculating the next day, nothing correct seems to be happening. I innoced through the four holes punched through the top of the lid and then sealed them up with tape. Unfortunately, at ALL the 4 innc points in ALL 8 jars there is just a green spot that seems to be growing and no traces of mycelium. I'm assuming these spots are contams of some sort, but it's crazy how they got in there! the needle was sterilized before innoculation and the green stuff is only where the innoculant was released. What's going on? How did this happen? Is it for sure a contam?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Innoc. point problems. [Re: grommet]
    #2554677 - 04/13/04 01:19 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Bit early to say, keep an eye on it, and if the green spots spread, start again.

Did you wipe the jars with lysol or alchol or anything? To make
sure the inoc points were clean? Did you sterilise the needle between
jars? Was the room you worked in as clean as possible?

Offlinegrommet
fuckin' amature
Re: Innoc. point problems. [Re: Loki]
    #2555242 - 04/13/04 03:03 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, waiting is about all we can do. I really thought everything was pretty sanitary, but i guess i could be wrong.

OfflineMinimumEfrt2
enthusiast
    #2555254 - 04/13/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

same excact thing happend to me dude. except, i ordered hawaiians from sporesource. did you steam sterilize or PC? i steam sterilized 1 time for an hour. didn't seem to do the trick...

Offlinemonkguru
Stranger
    #2555473 - 04/13/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

did you pressure cook those jars or just boil them. Could mean the diff. I dunno. I never tried just boiling.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2555609 - 04/13/04 04:29 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

A green spot at every inoculation point in every jar would indicate a bad syringe to me.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinegrommet
fuckin' amature
Re: Innoc. point problems. [Re: ATWAR]
    #2556056 - 04/13/04 05:28 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, we steamed them for an hour and i figured that they were good. the weird thing is that these "spots" are only in the exact locations where i innoculated. how likely is it that i got a bad syringe?

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2556212 - 04/13/04 06:04 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

One would certainly like to think that the likelyhood of getting a bad syringe from a reputable supplier,which I am sure that Sporesouce is,would be next to none.
This being said it is probably more likely that the problem lies within the innoculation itself.
Even a perfectly sterile needle has to touch the jar lid as it enters the substrate. THis is a very good opportunity for contams,which have settled on the jar lids, to be dragged into the jar via the needle.
I am certainly not saying that a contaminated syringe is impossible or anything,just that it is unlikely. If you are completely sure about the sterility of your technique,then you should probably try and contact the vendor and explain your dissatisfaction in hopes of reimburssement or replacement!---Sorry to hear about your jars I know it is a major let-down.

--------------------

OfflineMinimumEfrt2
enthusiast
Re: Innoc. point problems. [Re: Mykey]
    #2556419 - 04/13/04 06:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

would you recommend scrubbing down the jars lids with h2o2 or rubbing alcohol or something before you innoculate?? cuz the same thing happened to me. i dont think it is sporesources fualt tho becuz i suck at growin shrooms.

Anonymous

#2556438 - 04/13/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by user's request.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Innoc. point problems. [Re: MinimumEfrt2]
    #2556844 - 04/13/04 08:28 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I would recommend spraying the entire outside of the jar with something like isopropyl alcohol or lysol-(lightly and give a few seconds to dry)- before you nocc em up if you are doing it in the open air. There are some good products on the market now like OUST which do a good job of sanitizing the air if you can find them where you live.*at your local Wally World* Just spray it all over the place as high as you can reach and let is settle for a few seconds and then do your thing. If you take the jars directly out of the pot\pc and immediately inject them with a sterile needle(assuming you covered them up with tin foil before sterilizing)you should be ok if you are in a clean environement.--(dont forget to clean yourself)

A glovebox makes this whole process much easier and much more reliable ,and they are not hard to make either!

Just read around this place and suck up some knowledge and you'll be a pro in no time!

--------------------

OfflineThatDaltonGuy
PermanentlyFried
Loc: USA
    #2556883 - 04/13/04 08:38 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

there was a tek on peroxide or alchohol sponge that seemed to work great for me search for sponge tek... it works great and may help ur inoc problems.

--------------------
Let me remind you that the above text is completely false and has been typed to you by an escaped mental patient and shouldn't be taken seriously unless you yourself also have a mental condition. These kind of things need to be taken into consideration by those viewing these threads.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules