Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomInhaler
No, I don'tsmoke them! :P

Seed germinating, what next?
    #2555120 - 04/13/04 04:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I used layers of damp paper towel to germinate these 5 seeds I have. It's been 3 days, and Just this morning I noticed that one of them has germinated, with a little root sticking out the seed. Should I take it and pant it now, or can I leave it in the paper towel to keep germinating while I wait for the other seed to germinate? These are marijuana seeds btw :smile:.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: Seed germinating, what next? [Re: ShroomInhaler]
    #2555176 - 04/13/04 04:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well, in my experience it shouldn't be long before the rest germinate, so I'd say you can leave it in there. You don't have to plant out until the root is 5mm long or more anyway.
I've never grown smokable weed, I just found some hemp seeds in some bird food and thought it'd make a neat houseplant, a bit of a conversation piece or whatever. I soaked in water for 24h, then put them between damp TP. The first germinated about 24h later, and all but the assumed dead ones had germinated in about a week. Then I put them in soil and little maggot bastards ate the roots. It was really strange, the little plants didn't fall over because the maggots seemed to hollow out the roots and live inside them.
Needless to say, they all died. The moral of the story is, microwave your compost!

Err, yeah anyway, you can leave it while the others germinate. Or you could plant it out. Doesn't matter really.

Good luck!

OfflineShroomInhaler
No, I don'tsmoke them! :P

Re: Seed germinating, what next? [Re: Openminded]
    #2555290 - 04/13/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks. I have a coupel more questions. I think I'm gonna go ahead and plant the seed before the others, so it can act kind of like a "test dummy" to see if I do things right.

I'm going to fill some 1 oz. cups with moist garden top soil. I will plant the seed root facing downwards about 1/4 in. to a 1/2 in. under the soil. I will have a fluorescent light bulb a few inches away. Does this sound alright? any tips?

Also, does it matter if the cups i am growing in are see-through? It's a stupid question, but I don't want to fuck up on something stupid. Oh and one last thing, do I have to punch a hole it the bottom of my cups like flower pots, to let excess water leak out, or should I just let them be. And shoot, that brings up another question: how much and how often should I water my plants & soil?

Thanks to anyone that can answer any of these questions!

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Seed germinating, what next? [Re: ShroomInhaler]
    #2555594 - 04/13/04 06:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Don't wait too long to plant them. It's not good to damage the little root "hairs". Pot seedlings have been pretty hardy in my experience though. The punch holes are good. I guess every 4-5 days or so is good. It depends on how fast the soil dries out. You don't want to drown them but you don't want to not water them either. I can't really say much about lighting. There is a fuckload of info here though
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_cultivation.shtml
http://www.overgrow.com/

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden