Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Three Alternative Histories [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2553862 - 04/13/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Old Kathleen's a star isn't she  :lol:

Is the Rambo article the one where she says all her family want to nuke fallujah?  :nut:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2554034 - 04/13/04 10:50 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

infidelGOD writes:

it couldn't be that Xochitl formed his opinion of the writer based on what she has written could it?

Xochitl's opinion of Kathleen Parker is irrelevant to the resonableness (or lack thereof) of the scenario she describes.

Even though my opinion of Noam Chomsky and Michael Moore is probably lower than Xochitl's opinion of Kathleen Parker, I willingly admit that both of them occasionally make accurate statements.

The only one in this thread who has even attempted to refute any of the three scenarios presented here is EchoVortex. The rest of you are resorting to pure ad hominem attacks -- the standard approach of those incapable of reasoned discourse. Oh, and of course your own oh-so-intellectually-sound tactic of spamming a non sequitur repeated a few hundred times. Cute. Very cute. Did you discover that devastating debating tactic in fourth grade while writing lines on the blackboard during detention for pulling the pigtails of the little girl sitting in front of you?

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Three Alternative Histories [Re: Phred]
    #2554186 - 04/13/04 11:38 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

What if the article had been written by Christopher Hitchens?

See, the article was not written by Hitchens. It was written by a tabloidesque, emotional knee-jerker. The day you post something by Hitchens or Chomsky (or something with actual content), then I will respond with a reasonable response. Until then, sit back, drink your Mai Tai and keep convincing yourself of your own revelency.

I read In a parallel universe called 'what if.' and I simply did not have the time nor the patience nor interest to dissect Parker's lack of comprehension that you seem to subscribe to.

Quote:

Xochitl, lately you seem to be working yourself up into a frenzied rage over my providing some reasoned arguments.

A frenzied rage? Where have I expressed rage? Disappointment towards your posts? Yes. Sarcasm? Of course. But no rage, sorry - try again.

I love you :heart:

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Three Alternative Histories [Re: Xochitl]
    #2554318 - 04/13/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Xochitl writes:

See, the article was not written by Hitchens. It was written by a tabloidesque, emotional knee-jerker.

So you feel that your opinion of the author excuses you from considering her arguments? Intellectual laziness, as I said. No need to think about what is being said, because the one saying it is in your opinion emotional.

That is weak, Xochitl, really weak. Doesn't say much for your credibility. Ignore the message, insult the messenger instead.

The day you post something by Hitchens or Chomsky (or something with actual content)...

How do you know there is no content? You didn't even read the article. You got as far as reading the byline and then heaved a sigh of relief because you knew you didn't have to think -- it's only a soccer-mom writing this. No need to think about what she's saying.

I read In a parallel universe called 'what if.'

Uh huh.

and I simply did not have the time nor the patience nor interest to dissect Parker's lack of comprehension that you seem to subscribe to.

Uh huh. Well, you can try to sell that to the readers here. Maybe it will fly. You say it's not a lack of ability that is holding you back, but a lack of interest or time or patience? Fair enough.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
    #2554935 - 04/13/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

So you feel that your opinion of the author excuses you from considering her arguments? Intellectual laziness, as I said. No need to think about what is being said, because the one saying it is in your opinion emotional.

I considered her "arguments" and I found them not worth my time. I also found it funny that you posted a Kathleen Parker editoral. Post something worthwhile - you're a moderator. I would have done the same if you posted a dishonest Michael Moore piece, as well.

Quote:

How do you know there is no content? You didn't even read the article.

Actually, I read Parker's editorals a few times a week in the newspaper. And I actually sat down and read the one you posted - it was a good laugh. Thanks :heart:

The real question is: did you read the editoral? :lol:

Quote:

Well, you can try to sell that to the readers here.

Unlike yourself, I am not trying to sell anything to anyone. But perhaps I expect too much from a moderator.

"All systems which reduce, restrict, impinge upon, or eliminate freedom in any way are systems which work against life itself."

is that your attempt at dadaism? I'm 100% serious.

see you on the flipside Mr. Mai Tai (or will you be lost in the alternate universe?)

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#2555203 - 04/13/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Xochitl writes:

is that your attempt at dadaism? I'm 100% serious.

No. It is an unattrributed quote I came across once on a Libertarian website. I have since been informed that is from "Conversations With God", by Neale Donald Walsh. I wasn't aware the author of the quote was a religious man when I chose it as my sig. I myself am an atheist.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2556979 - 04/13/04 09:02 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

these hypothetical parallel universe appeals remind me a lot of my brother in law, who waves Atlas Shrugged around as if it were a collection of thousands of scientific experiments that all support his position.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Three Alternative Histories [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2557018 - 04/13/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

THat book made me give up reading.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
    #2557043 - 04/13/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

No. It is an unattrributed quote I came across once on a Libertarian website. I have since been informed that is from "Conversations With God", by Neale Donald Walsh. I wasn't aware the author of the quote was a religious man when I chose it as my sig. I myself am an atheist.

...and you're telling me this because...? I didnt ask if you're a religious man or not.

"All systems which reduce, restrict, impinge upon, or eliminate freedom in any way are systems which work against life itself."

Once again, does this include the Bush administration and their policies, or in general, their ideology?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#2557892 - 04/14/04 02:15 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Xochitl asks:

Once again, does this include the Bush administration and their policies, or in general, their ideology?

The Bush administration is a system?

Bush and his administration are not Laissez-faire Capitalists, so parts of their ideology are opposed to my own. I have made no secret of that. What's your point?

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2558335 - 04/14/04 08:43 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I agree the second one is not up to the standards of the first (a little over-the-top in terms of public reaction to the lawsuit, for one)

and the third one is not up to the standards of the second. I hope there isn't a fourth.

Xochitl's opinion of Kathleen Parker is irrelevant to the resonableness (or lack thereof) of the scenario she describes.

Even though my opinion of Noam Chomsky and Michael Moore is probably lower than Xochitl's opinion of Kathleen Parker, I willingly admit that both of them occasionally make accurate statements.
. . .
Ignore the message, insult the messenger instead.
. . .
you feel that your opinion of the author excuses you from considering her arguments?

accurate statements? arguments? did you actually read the article you posted? it was pure fiction. the author is not a "messenger", she's an opinion columnist making up stories.

The rest of you are resorting to pure ad hominem attacks -- the standard approach of those incapable of reasoned discourse. Oh, and of course your own oh-so-intellectually-sound tactic of spamming a non sequitur repeated a few hundred times. Cute. Very cute. Did you discover that devastating debating tactic in fourth grade while writing lines on the blackboard during detention for pulling the pigtails of the little girl sitting in front of you?

I'm *really* surprised that you thought that quote by Condoleezza Rice was a non sequitur. I had assumed you would see the connection. didn't you just post three alternative histories detailing how 9/11 could have been prevented?

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
History: Deal with it. [Re: Phred]
    #2558411 - 04/14/04 09:08 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

what's the difference between alternative history and fantasy?

and what do you mean by this:
"I didn't find either of them an unreasonable extrapolation of events"

what exactly is a reasonable extrapolation of events? that covers a lot of ground doesn't it? there are an infinite number of "alternative histories" that can be extrapolated, just pick one that supports your view.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2558774 - 04/14/04 10:44 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

and the third one is not up to the standards of the second. I hope there isn't a fourth.

LOL!

:grin:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder