Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Homo Sapien
    #2553044 - 04/13/04 02:19 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

20 million years ago the human brain was alot smaller than it is today. What is causing the brain to grow in size over the years? Is it our increasing technology and expanding awareness? What happens when we receed the bounderies of our skull and enter the world of outerly realities? What is the next step in human evolution, and if the Earth was destroyed, would some form of intelegent life ever elvolve again within 30 million years?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Homo Sapien [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2553113 - 04/13/04 02:39 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Variations in the jawbone allowed for a more volumous cranium some thousand years ago. People that study such things have isolated the first instances of culture some 50,000 years ago. They believe that creatures began making jewelry as a form of expression. This abstract action allowed thoughts to be conveyed at a glance. This was like a conduit for language, and in conjunction with the creativity facilitating opposable thumb, these things made the mind grow.

Quote:

What happens when we receed the bounderies of our skull and enter the world of outerly realities? What is the next step in human evolution, and if the Earth was destroyed, would some form of intelegent life ever elvolve again within 30 million years?

Evolution telescopes. To say the least, it is not a linear progression, so it is impossible to predict the future.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Homo Sapien [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2553148 - 04/13/04 02:49 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

That's a good theory... I just dont see how jewlry and apearance could be the start of 'intellegence' I mean, weren't the first cave men intellegent in their own way to fasion spears of stone and pack hunt mammoths to survive? Why did the brain increase? Because we learned more? Well if that is true why do most humans today only use something like 8% of their brain? Things DON'T evolve without a purpose, because the would defeat evolution right? SO maybe humans used to be very advanced , but now we lack unde rstanding, but since we can't 'de evolve' our brains remain the same, large, but unused. ?

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2553168 - 04/13/04 02:54 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

I just dont see how jewlry and apearance could be the start of 'intellegence'

It marks the beginning of abstract communication, which paves the way for language.

Quote:

weren't the first cave men intellegent in their own way to fasion spears of stone and pack hunt mammoths to survive?

Yes, tool making = creativity = mental evolution. Game hunting encourages strategy = intelligence

Quote:

Because we learned more? Well if that is true why do most humans today only use something like 8% of their brain?

Not so sure if that is true.

Quote:

Things DON'T evolve without a purpose, because the would defeat evolution right?

Evolution is merely change in response to a pressure. To say it is goal oriented is to miss something epic.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2560187 - 04/14/04 05:52 PM (13 years, 12 days ago)

20 million years ago were no humans... so no "human brains"
homo, pan, & gorilla genera were still one...

homo neaderthalensis & homo sapiens cromagnon had larger cranial capacity than does homo sapiens sapiens...
~
"if the world was destroyed" ? (destroyed to bare scorched rock? or just having all humans removed? quite a big difference there...)
30 million years is a long time... could develop sapient species capable of manipulating environment from any number of modern mammalian stock (raccoons would be easy to  start with, for example...)

why, do you wanna play god?
:wink:

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleKackleDude
transmundaneother

Loc: Close to the Edge, Down b...
    #2566076 - 04/16/04 12:20 AM (13 years, 11 days ago)

the mind is out-growing the monkey,,

--------------------
yeeeahh, it's gonna be well wicked

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2566111 - 04/16/04 12:33 AM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Maybe its accidents. I fell on my head when i was a young young child, before i turned one :wink:. I had a skull fracture. I wonder if it caused my brain to either grow larger... or be more cramped by the increasing bone formation as the result of the break. Maybe things like these happened alot... which changed small things, and those things, just... changed other stuff. We have learned how to use our brains more. We can use and understand forms of complex communication. We even have TOOLS for communication now... ie the internet... Maybe this will allow us to understand more parts of our brain that were not stimulated before.

--------------------
What?

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Homo Sapien [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2566223 - 04/16/04 01:19 AM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Maybe its accidents. I fell on my head when i was a young young child, before i turned one . I had a skull fracture.

I had the exact same thing happen to me, before I turned one. Went for a flying leap down a set of stairs onto a concrete floor :smirk:

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Anonymous

#2566901 - 04/16/04 09:39 AM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

20 million years ago the human brain was alot smaller than it is today. What is causing the brain to grow in size over the years? Is it our increasing technology and expanding awareness? What happens when we receed the bounderies of our skull and enter the world of outerly realities? What is the next step in human evolution, and if the Earth was destroyed, would some form of intelegent life ever elvolve again within 30 million years?

This sounds like Mckenna and Co. 27:25, but I don't know. Interesting conversation.

http://mckenna.psychedelic-library.org/trialogues%2098%20-%201%20-%20sheldrake-mckenna-abraham.mp3

Language may be the evolving life form, according to Mckenna.

You know, he passed this month, four years ago.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology