Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

Loc: Boston
Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression * 6
    #25519094 - 10/07/18 11:43 AM (7 months, 11 days ago)

Due to the large amount of threads on here lately with questions regarding psychedelic therapy and microdosing for anxiety/depression, I figured I'd take the time and write up a method that has been tremendously helpful for myself. I posted a brief summary of it in the past, but I'll try to make this more user-friendly for anyone who'd like to give it a go.

Since it's such an internal and subjective experience, my description may be a little vague and difficult to follow, but I've tried to simplify it as much as possible. This is all based on my own personal experience, which has been mostly consistent. Everyone will experience it differently.

Essentially this technique combines mindfulness with a type of exposure therapy. The meditation and mindfulness exercise allows you to be fully present for the experience. The exposure will be a diving into of your "negative" thoughts and emotions, greatly assisted by the psilocybin. The end result, ideally, is a greater ability to simply recognize but let go of negative feelings in daily life, and address some of what causes those feelings along the way. It's not quick, it's not necessarily easy, but I certainly believe it has the ability to be very beneficial.

If you are experiencing any symptoms of psychosis, have any thoughts of suicide, or have any medical/heart issues that psilocybin could trigger, don't attempt this method. Even small amounts of psychedelics can cause panic attacks and trigger psychosis in people with underlying mental illness.

Edited by feevers (01/27/19 09:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: feevers] * 1
    #25519100 - 10/07/18 11:44 AM (7 months, 11 days ago)

Dose: .2-.6, depending on tolerance/weight
Time: 3-6 hours, every 2-4 days for however long necessary

Eat the mushrooms on an empty stomach. I'd recommend tea to avoid nausea, lemon-tek is not necessary but can certainly be utilized after you get a feel for the routine.

In a quiet room, lay on a comfortable floor with your body wide open, legs a little bit apart, arms slightly outwards. Body position is a significant factor in this exercise, closing your body up is a defense mechanism and needs to be avoided.

After eating the mushrooms and lying down, begin with a mindfulness exercise called a 'body scan'. Simply start from your toes and work up to the top of your head, one body part at a time, directing all your focus on and noticing the sensations of each individual body part. Recognize it's part of you, and relax any tension stored up inside of it. This can take anywhere from 3-15 minutes.

Next, move on to meditation. Eyes closed or open, simply focus all your attention toward your breath. It's not necessary to breathe deeply or force the breath, just follow your natural breathing. The aim is to not latch on to any thoughts that occur, simply label them as "thinking", and let them float away. They will come naturally, but eventually so will your ability to let them go.

If you're dead set against meditation, any simple breathing technique you find on the internet may work. Singing would be a good alternative as well. I'd recommend looking up the transcendental meditation(free version) or NSR meditation technique for those who struggle meditating, it seems to be the most beginner friendly and very beneficial.

After the body scan, meditation may last 10-45 minutes (depending on a variety of factors) before you begin to feel the psilocybin. You will almost certainly begin to notice changes in bodily sensations and thought patterns. You may feel a nervous energy and restlessness creeping throughout your body. Embrace it, do not move or close up your body.

Once the psilocybin begins to take hold, it's time to get to work. You have a problem, that's why you're doing this exercise. Be it anxiety, depression, past trauma, etc., this is a way to address underlying thoughts and feelings, expose yourself directly to the negative mind states(and see them as just that), and break down some of the walls and rigid/solidified thought patterns you hold inside your mind.

Think of the problem you want to address, and focus only on the feeling of it. If it's anxiety, it may be the piercing/buzzing nervousness in your head that shuts down all rational thought. If it's depression, it may be the cloud of lethargy and ambivalence. Think of the feelings you want to escape, except here you will not be trying to escape them.

Let these feelings engulf you. Aim to experience nothing but this "negative" feeling, in it's most extreme state. If this becomes difficult at first, recall situations where your anxiety or depression got the best of you. Don't focus on the event, focus on exactly how you felt during the event. Emotional memory is often stronger than episodic memory of event details, so unless you've suppressed it you should be able to conjure up the feelings fairly readily. It will not be fun, but you're in a perfectly safe environment and now is the time to deal with it.

Try to keep that feeling as strong as possible, for as long as possible. Let it eat you. What you may find is that it becomes difficult to hold onto that feeling. It requires a lot of mental energy, and the feeling begins to fade. After some time you may try remembering the most anxious or depressed events of your life, but struggle to bring up the negative feelings you previously associated with it. It may even seem strange that you let a simple feeling influence your life so much. Ideally, you will have separated the feeling, which is what's causing your trouble, from the reality, which simply needs to be acknowledged, learned from, and let go.

The psilocybin adds a whole new depth to this experience that I can't even begin to describe. You may experience thought loops, dissociation, panic, anxiety, an elevated physiological stress response... that's all perfectly fine and natural. Just focus on the objective. Any "negative" feeling that arises creates a perfect opportunity to work on that feeling, recognize it as merely an illusory mental construct, and let it go.
Here's an excerpt from my original thread:
Quote:

The chaotic thought patterns and cloud of alien-feeling tension from the psilocybin takes the feeling to a new level.
What seems to happen is that I grow more comfortable in the feeling, and it eventually washes away as if it never existed. This isn't a quick or comfortable process, my mind is often racing with half-thoughts and weird loops. Almost feels like a very minor, dissociated psychosis to a point. Eventually the feeling I'm focusing on just dissipates like a cloud of smoke, it feels like tension is completely released from my body. I try to bring it back, but often struggle to do so, and can't see how I previously had let the feeling get to me so much. I then move on to the next situation/feeling.

What I have found, and you may or may not find the same, is that after a period of time it simply becomes impossible to conjure up a negative feeling and keep it for more than a couple seconds. You may be able to view reality more clearly, without the tainted lens of anxiety. After this, spend some time just addressing any lingering negative feelings.

I think a 'mental cleanse' is the best way to describe it.

Once you feel thoroughly "cleansed", I'd recommend 5-30 minutes of metta meditation. This involves thinking of someone in life that you love, letting that feeling of love deeply engulf you, and slowly extending it to people you know, people you hate, and eventually the whole world,. One popular Buddhist method is to imagine beams of love extending from your belly and encompassing everyone. The same can be done with compassion, recognizing that everyone's life is a difficult struggle and feeling compassion for them, including those you hate.

The metta meditation is especially helpful because you just spent hours dwelling in your own head. Metta will get you out of your own head and in touch with those around you. Metta can increase gamma brain waves, which have been associated with everything from feelings of well being to to decreased mental blocks/increased cognition. Ending this way may help solidify any progress made during the session.

Depending on how long all of this took, you'll likely still feel a little of the psilocybin. I'd recommend spending the rest of your "high" doing things that directly address your issue. If it's social anxiety, go out and do something that involves talking to people. If it's depression, go exercise or clean your house. You likely won't feel cured instantly, but over time the progress really adds up.

Play with the doses to fit what you want. Maybe take a notebook and, after you the session write down anything important that came up and review it nightly. Repetition really is needed to ingrain these sort of things into your brain. I'd  recommend(but it's not necessary) abstaining from other substances while doing this routine regularly, including alcohol, nicotine, cannabis and caffeine.

Edited by feevers (10/07/18 11:59 AM)

Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

#25519103 - 10/07/18 11:44 AM (7 months, 11 days ago)

So that's the gist of it. It draws slightly upon my past education/training in psychotherapy & neuropsychology, but ultimately it's just a summation of many years of trial and error while attempting a variety of self-medication methods.

My initial experience using this was 6 sessions over the course of a month. I didn't wake up one day and say "wow, this is really working!". It doesn't work like a pill. However, when I look at myself on the first of that month, compared to the next month, there are serious differences. The amount of work/writing I was able to get done was huge, my diet and exercise routine was far better, I went from needing a nap every day to basically never needing one. Simply getting rid of (or at least learning not to latch on to) negative feelings seems to have freed me up a ton mentally, it's like a weight being lifted.

Having a good diet and exercise routine will help tremendously, and may come as a natural result. What we eat is responsible for gut bacteria growth and neurotransmitter synthesis, which are both proving to be essential in optimal mental health. Everyone knows the mental benefits of exercise. Meditation on a consistent and regular basis can help strengthen the work you do during your sessions, and has been shown time and time again to have positive effects on the human stress/anxiety response and self-reported mood states.

I'd also recommend talk therapy or an alternative. Repetition is key, and continuing to be introspective will help to keep you making improvements. Verbalizing your feelings is also immensely helpful. Self Authoring is an awesome tool made by a group of psychologists, which I feel addresses some of the most important aspects and techniques of psychotherapy, and can be done alone and at home.

This isn't meant to cure anything, it's simply a method I've used (and likely will continue to improve/alter) to cultivate a better mind state. It definitely doesn't need to be followed exactly, different things work for different people.

Good luck :sun:

InvisibleInflaton
Dr. Stranger

Loc: Limbo
    #25519892 - 10/07/18 05:01 PM (7 months, 11 days ago)

Interesting :thumbup:

These methods seem to me like using a downregulation or return to homeostasis of your emotional state under an stimulus that is associated with a particular (negative) feeling.

The continued stimulation will eventually de-sensitize you. And I can see how the added plasticity you gain by taking psylocibin can increase the effectiveness of method.

--------------------
Materialistic, individualistic, truth seeker, risk taker.

OfflineKitchenChef
Stranger

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: Inflaton] * 1
    #25524501 - 10/09/18 03:46 PM (7 months, 9 days ago)

good to see something like that.
now it needs some people and feedback to try it out.

Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: Inflaton]
    #25530618 - 10/11/18 08:34 PM (7 months, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Inflaton said:
Interesting :thumbup:

These methods seem to me like using a downregulation or return to homeostasis of your emotional state under an stimulus that is associated with a particular (negative) feeling.

The continued stimulation will eventually de-sensitize you. And I can see how the added plasticity you gain by taking psylocibin can increase the effectiveness of method.

Good points.

It really does focus on exposure and desensitization. The psilocybin amplifies everything and creates a perfect environment for the objective. It's not really a Freudian psychoanalytical make sense of the past kind of deal, like what can happen naturally on high doses. I doubt it'd be effective with underlying trauma issues for that reason, without some higher doses thrown in at least.

The psilocybin really does seem to just make your mind malleable, this method was what I used to somewhat reshape my own.

Edited by feevers (10/11/18 08:36 PM)

OfflineStable Genius
Extremely stable
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: feevers]
    #25765668 - 01/24/19 05:29 PM (3 months, 26 days ago)

Hi feevers, thanks for taking the time to share your technique.
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy has worked been useful for me and I feel this is an extension of that.

Edited by Stable Genius (01/27/19 12:22 AM)

InvisibleBoarders
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: AU Flag
    #25767873 - 01/25/19 04:13 PM (3 months, 25 days ago)

Has anyone else tried the technique with success?

OfflineChamsky
Strange

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: Boarders]
    #25767985 - 01/25/19 04:58 PM (3 months, 25 days ago)

put some DMT in a vape. And microdose it throughout the day. SWIM has noticed light doses of DMT feel like the afterglow of a shroom trip which is EXTREMELY uplifting. SWIM plans on doing this himself.

--------------------
PHD in tryptamines Masters in cultivation

Offlinefluorescent
Unexpected.
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: Chamsky]
    #25769847 - 01/26/19 12:40 PM (3 months, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Chamsky said:
put some DMT in a vape. And microdose it throughout the day. SWIM has noticed light doses of DMT feel like the afterglow of a shroom trip which is EXTREMELY uplifting. SWIM plans on doing this himself.

Please don't use SWIM. You might as well mean Someone Who IS Me, because no one is being fooled by its use.

OfflineGeometric Waves
Psychonaut

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: Chamsky]
    #25770287 - 01/26/19 05:02 PM (3 months, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Chamsky said:

You sound like a complete idiot using the word “SWIM”.

--------------------

InvisiblePsicomvb
Birdseed for Breakfast
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: Geometric Waves]
    #25770364 - 01/26/19 05:44 PM (3 months, 24 days ago)

And you sound like a big douche.  Not everyone is on top of internet lingo. There are nicer ways to let them know it doesn't help by not saying "I"

Fevers, I need to try this soon. I have yet to try a microdosing regiment again. Do you ever take any larger trips too when you have this schedule?

--------------------
:rocket: ...and life ain't good without cigarettes :rocket:

sit down, shut up, and listen

Edited by Psicomvb (01/26/19 05:48 PM)

Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: Psicomvb]
    #25770378 - 01/26/19 05:50 PM (3 months, 24 days ago)

It's possible this method could also help with irritability..

Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: Psicomvb]
    #25770395 - 01/26/19 05:55 PM (3 months, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Psicomvb said:
And you sound like a big douche.  Not everyone is on top of internet lingo. There are nicer ways to let them know it doesn't help by not saying "I"

Fevers, I need to try this soon. I have yet to try a microdosing regiment again. Do you ever take any larger trips too when you have this schedule?

That's my goal next month when I get the chance to try it again. 2g of PE to start, and finish with 3.5-5 depending on how Im feeling.

I ended a few days of fasting and meditation with 2g of PE earlier this month. By far the deepest Ive gone as far as introspection and life-changing content in the trip. Can imagine a similar outcome with doing a full trip after spending time on this method.

Offlinekorgoth
patternmatchingnoise
I'm a teapot

Loc: Geostationary orbit
    #25770890 - 01/26/19 11:48 PM (3 months, 23 days ago)

In the first 2 weeks, I've gotten thru 2 years worth of therapy.
I had been reading a couple of books on the subject. With Psilocybin, everything just clicked.

My Psilocybin schedule goes like this:
- Workdays: ~0.25 g dry Cubensis equivalent taken in the morning(as tea), after I drink my cup of coffee. Sometimes I forget to take it, but the effects are noticeable, barely.
- Off days/Weekends: ~0.25 g in the morning, and then around 2 pm 1-2 grams as tea, so much fun :sunny:
(I have a lower baseline tolerance than normal, around 50->75%)

I'm saving the big ones for special occasions, whatever that means.

P.S. I don't have any kids, thinking about getting a cat, though.

Offlinepsyloq
Learned Ignorant
Male
Loc: Earth
Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: korgoth]
    #25771481 - 01/27/19 08:16 AM (3 months, 23 days ago)

korgoth, are you saying you followed the protocol feevers posted or was it something else you found in the books you read?

Feevers, thanks very much for taking the time to post your protocol.  Thought of asking if you would mind talking a little about the issue(s) that motivated you into researching and refining your protocol?  How long did it take before you felt lasting improvements and do you consider yourself cured?

Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: psyloq] * 1
    #25771550 - 01/27/19 09:27 AM (3 months, 23 days ago)

Quote:

psyloq said:
Feevers, thanks very much for taking the time to post your protocol.  Thought of asking if you would mind talking a little about the issue(s) that motivated you into researching and refining your protocol?  How long did it take before you felt lasting improvements and do you consider yourself cured?

Ive always dealt with social anxiety, minor depression on and off, and addiction. Using cannabis and psychedelics showed me for the first time that it is possible to see the world without the tinted lens of anxiety/depression, and with none of the feelings of artificial fleeting fluff that opiates, depressants and stimulants bring.

I didnt keep a journal or measure how I felt daily, so it's really hard to rate the progress I made. Cognitive gains are notoriously hard to measure subjectively.

What I did notice in the month after was less napping (went from basically daily to only a couple of times the whole month), better sleep, less overthinking social situations, and a brighter outlook on life. I was eating healthier, exercising more frequently. Procrastination was lessened, and my relationship with my wife has been better since (amplified x1000 after my most recent mushroom trip).

I'm a grad student and working so I just haven't had the time to pursue it further. I'd say doing it every other day for a week 3 or 4 times a year would be perfect for me, tweaking it in different ways as I make progress with it. I've kept up with meditation to a tremendous degree, this routine really was a catalyst for me in terms of throwing myself back into meditation.

I'm far from cured of anything. I really dont know that I'd want to be cured. As you learn to seperate the awareness from the thought, feelings of anxiety and depression become wonderful tools for keeping the ego in check, in my experience at least. It's once you let your mind wander out of the present and hop aboard the runaway thought trains that these things can take control of your life.

If anything I feel thats what this microdosing/introspection/meditation technique did for me, helped me seperate awareness from thought and better tap into the present moment.

I do daily microdosing occasionally and it definitely can be enjoyable and helpful, but for me it's somewhat unpredictable and the positives are gone within a day or two. My goal was to reshape my mind and guide myself to a more controlled and less-reflexive way of thinking, more so than to use psilocybin as a supplement to treat symptoms.

Offlinekorgoth
patternmatchingnoise
I'm a teapot

Loc: Geostationary orbit
    #25771684 - 01/27/19 10:51 AM (3 months, 23 days ago)

psyloq, I got inspired by some trip reports here,the ones by LessonsofYawns.

I had read regular layman's books about psychology and therapy before I started using Psilocybin.

It is a great therapy tool with the right knowledge.

Invisiblesoultripper
woods wanderer
 User Gallery

#25812507 - 02/14/19 02:18 PM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Thank you for this work feevers,
I was able to get away from opiate/heroin addiction using micro-dose introspection along with occasional breakthrough doses.
Your writeup will possibly help many who choose to apply it to their lives.
Fasting and mental/spiritual preparation are also essential in my humble opinion.
Of course, being in my human form, which I feel from my breakthrough experiences is a temporary condition, I still have issues which need improvement, and that's why we're here I suppose.

--------------------

OfflineMooseShroom
Wandering Soul

Re: Psilocybin Self-Therapy Method for Anxiety and Depression [Re: soultripper] * 1
    #25829120 - 02/22/19 03:01 AM (2 months, 28 days ago)

Thank you for posting this. I've been struggling with maintaining my meditation schedule and I think this will be a way that I can face the negative feelings I have from depression and anxiety and finally let go. I wasn't planning on keeping a journal but it seems like it could be worthwhile to be able to look back on and see the progress that I've made.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Vaporizer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience