Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBounce
Stranger
Wilty dead shrooms, heavily bruised cakes
    #2551849 - 04/12/04 06:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey fellas, I'm a newbie to mycology. I recently switched my PF brown rice flour cakes to new humidity chambers. I had perlite and I think quite a bit too much water in the containers. The next morning, the shroomies had all turned all greyish-blue and wilty, and they smelled like unbaked dough. I stripped the mushrooms from the cakes and the cakes are heavily bruised, but I see no visible contaminant that I have ever heard of. The reason I switched the cakes to the new containers was that in the old containers, the fruiting bodies repeatedly fell victim to severe bacterial blotching, both on the caps and stems.
OK, I put these cakes in 3 new containers. One container has no problem, but the other two made the shroomies all wilt and bruise up, as I stated earlier. I'm going to keep these cakes just to see if I can salvage them. They smell a bit like the unbaked dough scent that I noticed after the first night in the new containers. Do you think this is a contaminant? I plan to dunk these cakes in a 200 to 1 water and bleach solution and see what happens. Any other suggestions? I already sprayed them with a h2o2 solution.

Alright, like I say, I'm new to this, so any wisdom you could share would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Wilty dead shrooms, heavily bruised cakes [Re: Bounce]
    #2554981 - 04/13/04 04:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Changing cakes from one environment to another might stress the mycelium making it bruise.
Regarding the smell, well it surely isn't a good thing and you'll have to see how the situation develops. The dunk is a good idea :wink:
Good luck .

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum