Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNikolaiMcGreggor
Shaman

Loc: Massachusettes sometimes ...
Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!!
    #2550775 - 04/12/04 09:56 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I just went on a shrooming trip in West V. and South Carolina. I was pleasently suprised upon my arrival. I am still learning much about shrooms, but my cousin is pretty knowledgable. Basically this post is to let all you interested in west v. know that morels, psylocybe cubenis, and pan subbs are more than abbundant on the horse and cow farms of West V. Well, I'm beat from driving like a mad man even though i didn't do any of the driving. Have a good day hope this helps out. I'd still double check anything you pick but just so you know there is more to look for there.

--------------------
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: NikolaiMcGreggor]
    #2550834 - 04/12/04 10:24 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

hmmmm, cubensis doesn't naturally grow in pastures in NE TN which is mighty close to WV....

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: debianlinux]
    #2551839 - 04/12/04 04:05 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

And they do not grow in West Virginaia either.

Good pointing that oout.

mj

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2551903 - 04/12/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

MJ, how would you know? Have you hunted in West V. or are you regurgitating text from others?

I recall posting pics of Pan. subbs in a lawn. You argued and argued that they were not, because Pan. subbs don't grow in lawns. Yet now you acknowledge that they were subbs. Perhaps rather than saying....no they don't grow as an absolute statement, you should entertain the possibility in an educated manner.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: Joshua]
    #2552013 - 04/12/04 05:11 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, a true scientist knows that there are no absolutes in their field....theories are only as good as the evidence behind them until they are disproven.  Mushroom habitat seems to be variable.  :headbang:

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth
Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: Signo]
    #2553031 - 04/13/04 12:14 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with Joshua and Signo.
Although MJ is good at what he does I just feel as if he knows that he is wrong but it would be against his code of ethics to say that he was wrong because so many people take his word so profoundly because he his widely known and well respected as an enthomycologist,and he would let others down if he goes back on what he first said and corrects himself.
I am not picking sides here,but I am just asking MJ to give us explanations and proof if these certain mushrooms in fact do not grow in these areas mentioned in the above arguements,thanks for your time.
Peace,
PF~

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2553670 - 04/13/04 08:19 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Joshua, I never said that Panaolus subbalteatus did not grow in grass. I just thought that your collection at first was Panaolina foenisecii, not Pn. subbs.

I have picked them in grass before and mentioned that they also appear in woodchips in the PNW. here in Seattle of which picture of them in woodchips was posted at my site.

I have also picked them once in Portland in grass, a small amount and also in SouthCenter here in Tukwilla.

However, Your patch appraently never regrew since you never posted newer images of it. It has been a few years since you first brought it to all of our attention (August 23, 2002).

The lawn shr0oms only ususally appear for two to three years until the landscappers stop refertilizing or until all the nutrients int he soils are used up.

AS for West Virginia, that is too far north for P. cubensis to grow. However, the big mushroom picking buist in Wheeler West Virginia turned out to be 80 arrested for shroom pickings. The reporter on the case said the mushrooms collected by pickers in Wheeler, West Virginia were probably Psilocybe caerulipes. He said images form my site and the color of the confiscated caps was the same as my photos of P. caerulipes.

mj

And whether someone believes me or not, well that is their problem, not mine.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (04/13/04 08:56 AM)

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2554289 - 04/13/04 12:02 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

And whether someone believes me or not, well that is their problem, not mine.

mj

AMEN !

--------------------

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #2555191 - 04/13/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MJ, how would you know? Have you hunted in West V. or are you regurgitating text from others?

He's correct. I live in VA and there aren't any growing (naturally) in this part of the country. Sorry...

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

Offlinepsilyhunter
Big Nerd
Loc: Wherever I am
Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: grib]
    #2556455 - 04/13/04 06:57 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Nope. Nothing here in Wheeler! :wink:

Edited by psilyhunter (04/13/04 07:03 PM)

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: NikolaiMcGreggor]
    #2557481 - 04/14/04 12:07 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It would help if you could post pics of the specimens you found or if it's easier have your friend try to get some pics.

Currently there are no verified cubensis finds in W. Virginia that any of us are aware of. At this point, without evidence, it seems you and your friend have mis-identified the species you found.

I'd love to see some pics of the fruit bodies as well as some spore prints, as would most of us.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#2557664 - 04/14/04 01:05 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

A quote from your words from the thread I mentioned, "Subbs grow cepitosely to gregarious in Manure. Not lawns and never singularly like in your colelctions."

The bed did fruit again, however much less. I can also provide you more pictures in which P. subbalteatus has fruited sparsley.

Here is a reported cubensis find with a picture from Virginia (Newport News). This was a very unexpected find according to the literature.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...part=1&vc=1

I also believe to have acclimated P. cubensis growing in my Pacific Northwest yard, this hasn?t been previously reported in literature either.

I think the best we can do is explain what the pattern of previous sightings has been, but to completely exclude new findings is not always true. I?m not saying that the user is right in his report, but that his report must be entertained.

I greatly appreciate the manner in which you have always handled the critisizm I give you. Thank you.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #2558145 - 04/14/04 07:24 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Joshua said:
...Here is a reported cubensis find with a picture from Virginia (Newport News). This was a very unexpected find according to the literature...

...to completely exclude new findings is not always true. I'm not saying that the user is right in his report, but that his report must be entertained...

Quote:

NikolaiMcGreggor Said:
Basically this post is to let all you interested in west v. know that morels, psylocybe cubenis, and pan subbs are more than abbundant on the horse and cow farms of West V.

just so we don't forget what was said here...

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: debianlinux]
    #2558158 - 04/14/04 07:31 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Dibianlinux said,
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NikolaiMcGreggor Said:
Basically this post is to let all you interested in west v. know that morels, psylocybe cubenis, and pan subbs are more than abbundant on the horse and cow farms of West V.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just so we don't forget what was said here...

It is most extremely rare to ever find Psilocybe cubensis growing directly in horse manure. Although LK and G GreatOne234 do found some in manure mixed in stable shavings. Whic is not the same as directly form manure.

Cows and buffalo, yes, horse manure no.

mj

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! *DELETED* [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2560409 - 04/14/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblethescientist
Loc: Dade County
    #2560825 - 04/14/04 07:09 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

cubes grow in horse dung, with out a doubt. they dont like grain fed animals very much though. its not the natural way of things

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: thescientist]
    #2561075 - 04/14/04 08:21 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Studies by me, Mark D. Merlin, Jochen Gartz and Tjakko Stijve of psilocine/psilocybine content in mushrooms appearing in manure of grain fed cattle in Hawaii produced a higher potent mushroom than those collected from manure appearing in natural grown wild alfalfa fed pastures.

We studied mushrooms from manure heaps at the University of Hawaii's Livestock and Experimental Farm on Oahu's north shore next to Sunset beach, home of the Billabong Surefing competition.

We did copmparative chemical analasys of Copelandia's from THE FARM AND THEN FROM KUALOA RANCH, DIAMOND RANCH, PARKER RANCH AND SEVERAL OTHERS FROM MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND AS WELL AS OAHU.

P. CUBENSIS GROWS REALLY WELL IN CATTLE WHICH ARE GRAIN FED.

HATE THAT CAPITAL BUTTON.

mjshroomer

Invisiblethescientist
Loc: Dade County
    #2562511 - 04/15/04 06:00 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

seems to me we were talking about cubes and horses
not copes and cattle

gut fauna based on diet has a massive effect
on the qualities of the dung

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Just got back from West V! Oh Boy!!!!! [Re: thescientist]
    #2562528 - 04/15/04 06:17 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Itr doesn'tr matter if the shrooms were cubes or copes. they both grow wellin grain fed cattles manuere and also, from my studies in southeast asia at the Quai farm, the buffalo fed at the farm are also grain fed and produce very potent P. cubensis shrooms which contained higher psilocybin levels than those which occured in rice-paddie straw in a field.

mj

I just used the cope images as an example of spore deposits.

myceliuym also occurs inside the stomach of the cow/buffalo which is yet another method of spore dispersal. The cow eats the shrooms or grass with the spores oin it.

Than the shit goes into one of the cows many stomachs.

I posted at my site, a series of pictures of a fresh manureheap, not there the day before which produced mushrooms for a twenty-oner day period. I actually photographed this fresh cow pie for 21 days, every three days after my initial find of it to show the progression of the mushrooms intheir various stages of growth and develpment. This was a pie which was fresh whent he habitat for P. cubensis and Copelandia cyanescens are from four to six weeks of decomposing to cause a fruiting.

mj

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#2563442 - 04/15/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

myceliuym also occurs inside the stomach of the cow/buffalo

This is the second time I have seen you refer to mycelium growing or surviving in the gut of a cow. Do you have any documentation that mycelium can grow or survive the gut of a ruminant? It seems more plausable to me that the spores survive, are deposited along with the dung, and post-defacation germination allows the fungus to grow into the dung and then form fruiting bodies. Perhaps I need some further education on the subject.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds