Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno
    #2550595 - 04/12/04 10:25 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: ETERNAL TORMENT - PT:1 [Re: ]
    #2553305 - 04/13/04 03:49 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

This is precisely what I would have said if I was motivated enough to study the bible and organized enough in my thoughts to expound the vague notions that roam in the landscape of my mind.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2553515 - 04/13/04 08:22 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Great post...This is the first time I've really read about this facet on the broad subject of Theology. I already have my beliefs and internal notions about the Bible; primarily that it's simply a good book for moral references (sometimes) and perhaps guidance, and of course a good read just for the sake of reading as well. Unfortunately, not many people share my view, which is supported by the worldly masses of people who adhere to the book (and all it's different versions) with such strict fidelity and obsessiveness, ad nauseam. And it's not quite so much the fact that they hold themselves to the Bible to a fanatical degree that bothers me, but moreso the common result of such acquired mentalities. And what I'm referring to, is when they try to legislate their beliefs, and impose their beliefs onto other individuals and masses. There is a difference between simply sharing an internal spiritual belief/practice, and attempting to (whether consciously or subconsciously) install the belief in others. I've noticed there are two ways that I've seen this done, not only to other people, but even myself as well:
1)Using love to motivate behavior.
2)Using fear to manipulate behavior.
Which way do you think the Bible does this? Hmmm....

:wink:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #2555178 - 04/13/04 04:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

bloodflower6,

As usual you have composed a beautifully crafted, well researched and thought provoking post. I for one would like to thank you for expending the time and energy necessary to combine words and knowledge with the power to expand my understanding of life. If you are not doing so already, you should consider making your living as a writer - you certainly have the gift.

As for the idea of an eternal Hell, I have slipped into a mode of understanding that relates heaven and hell to our very day to day existence.

You are probably aware of the following zen story (I'm quoting from memory so forgive me if it's not entirely accurate):

A fierce samurai warrior seeks out a wise man to ask about heaven and hell. "You are so wise huh? Tell me about heaven and hell, then.", says the samurai. "Why should I tell you...a dirty ugly man, about heaven and hell? Now go away and let me be." replies the wise man. "How dare you insult me so! Don't you know who your dealing with?!", rages the samurai as he unsheaths his sword and out of his hatred and anger prepares to behead the old man. Looking up with serene eyes the wise man says, "This...is Hell". Shocked out of his anger by this unbelievable demonstration of hell and the wise man's depth of understanding and love, the samurai lowers his sword as tears of gratitude begin to well in his eyes. "And this...is heaven", says the wise man with a smile in his eyes.

And so, I see life as composed of both heaven and hell. And I see death as the flip side of life. At death is birth, at birth is death. Am I alive or am I dead? I really don't know and maybe the question is ultimately meaningless anyway. Maybe the eternal consciousness experiences the states of heaven and hell until it awakens from the conflict to find itself again as the dreamer of the dream. Who's to say how long pure consciousness dreams this dream? Maybe forever?

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Source]
    #2558253 - 04/14/04 10:16 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
    #2558401 - 04/14/04 11:04 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:
Definitely going to bring this up in my next theological discussion.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Anonymous

Re: ETERNAL TORMENT - PT:1 [Re: Source]
    #2559169 - 04/14/04 02:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

A fierce samurai warrior seeks out a wise man to ask about heaven and hell. "You are so wise huh? Tell me about heaven and hell, then.", says the samurai. "Why should I tell you...a dirty ugly man, about heaven and hell? Now go away and let me be." replies the wise man. "How dare you insult me so! Don't you know who your dealing with?!", rages the samurai as he unsheaths his sword and out of his hatred and anger prepares to behead the old man. Looking up with serene eyes the wise man says, "This...is Hell". Shocked out of his anger by this unbelievable demonstration of hell and the wise man's depth of understanding and love, the samurai lowers his sword as tears of gratitude begin to well in his eyes. "And this...is heaven", says the wise man with a smile in his eyes

:wink: ive read that too, and can say that i think its the shit, perfect example,  :thumbup:  very wise.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2559206 - 04/14/04 02:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I like your posts bf6, but I never have any time to read them! I'm printing this one out too to read later.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology