Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebrainbreath
perpetual newbie
Loc: down on the corner
What's a fair price for Lion's Mane?
    #2549938 - 04/12/04 01:25 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I'm about to start growing Lion's Mane to sell, I have about 250 pounds of g2 wbs, I'm planning I more g2g then to wood blocks. I already have some stores intrested, and they want a price on it but I am unsure what would be a good price to sell it for. Any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: What's a fair price for Lion's Mane? [Re: brainbreath]
    #2550703 - 04/12/04 09:23 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

60% of retail

You should check out www.mushroomcouncil.org for marketing ideas and strategery.

Anonymous

#2551019 - 04/12/04 11:21 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

we do em for 6 a pound.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: What's a fair price for Lion's Mane? [Re: ]
    #2551031 - 04/12/04 11:24 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Wil those grow on straw?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Anonymous

Re: What's a fair price for Lion's Mane? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2551100 - 04/12/04 11:42 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Never seen them on straw. But only on bags filled with sawdust/bran
They yield well.

OfflineBigGym
person ofrestrictedheight
Loc: Welsh Hills
    #2556392 - 04/13/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

We grow Hericium in the UK, but we do not sell it as Lion's Mane because the name seemed, to us, about as appealing as a boil on the butt! Experience tells us that an unappealing name generally means a piss-poor price for your growing effort - Shiitake!

According to Paul Stamets, there is a company in Cali that markets Lion's Mane as "Pom Pom Blanc", which is, you must admit, more appealing by suggestion than Lion's Mane or Monkey's Head! Don't know what kind of price they get at market but at least they have applied some progressive thought to the problem of the common tags for this species, which we applaud.

We learnt how to grow this mushroom on a few small-scale trials - 25 x 2 litre bags and when the first fruit was harvested the first thought that passed through the mind was TRUFFLE! Try it? Look at the mushroom, its physiology, its volume, its character, its flavour.....

We intend to develop a marketing strategy around a character called Tinker (an itinerant seasonal worker in the UK - a Republican congressman in the US!). Tinker spends his year wandering the countryside undertaking seasonal work - building walls in summer, cutting wood in winter, tending livestock in the spring, etc, etc.

Each month of the year, Tinker has a favourite food that he gathers from the forest and Tinker's year will end in October (Equinox) when he wanders into a very special ancient forest to collect his clump of Hericium. Tinker has a very special method of cooking this mushroom and the preparation of this one meal a year (being ecologically correct he only gathers enough for one meal) is looked upon by Tinker as a very special meal.

The association with the truffle,(and let's face it we are not that far off the mark),and the tale, to be reproduced shortly as a children's book, the old rural character that everyone hankers to be with means that we can market our mushrooms for ?45 per kilo - about US$80.

We grow 2 BIG fruits per bag for the chefs (4/500gms per block) and we prick 6 holes for sales to the public, who purchase them in nice brown bags for ?4.50 per 100gms (US$8 per 100 gms).

Lateral thought and a world full of marketing opportunities........

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: What's a fair price for Lion's Mane? [Re: BigGym]
    #2556573 - 04/13/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

WOW! That means you are getting roughly $36 per american pound. That is unbelievable.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What's a fair price for Lion's Mane? [Re: BigGym]
    #2556648 - 04/13/04 07:48 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I assume you use hardwood sawdust.

How long does it take from spawn untill harvest?

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Anonymous

#2558172 - 04/14/04 07:42 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It takes ruffly three weeks maybe four. Using a spawn ration 1 to 10.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2558678 - 04/14/04 10:19 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

About the same as oyster or cubensis then.

Not bad. I just don't have the patience for mushrooms that take months or years.

I have a lion's mane culture which I've had for about a year. I just plated it out onto some fresh medium. Maybe I should give it a shot.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2559029 - 04/14/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I hear you. These Reishi we are playing with are taking so so long.
for speed though go with an oyster. Pinks rock ten day spawn run. But the thing is they are built for speed. There shelf life is only a few days.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2561502 - 04/14/04 10:11 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You just can't beat the ruggedness of H. ulmarius though. They'll produce under almost any conditions.

I may try lion's mane on straw soon, just to see if it works. I need to find a good source of hardwood sawdust. There's a sawmill here in town, but I don't know if they cut hard, or soft wood.

I do know that a truck load of sawdust from there is $4.

--------------------

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2561939 - 04/15/04 12:36 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

woow, that's really cheap. You could do SRA in outdoor beds on them.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What's a fair price for Lion's Mane? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2562038 - 04/15/04 01:15 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I've got SRA from Anno.

Say, I've just found some good info on growing Lion's mane.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/orgfarm/mycology/teleport-online/MGN.6-94

--------------------

Edited by Baby_Hitler (04/15/04 02:00 AM)

OfflineBigGym
    #2564902 - 04/15/04 04:48 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Use oak sawdust and small amount of bran. From agar plate through grain, to fruiting is about 4 weeks. Second flush after 5 days resting at 17C.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What's a fair price for Lion's Mane? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2564960 - 04/15/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Eh, I just found out it's a mix of oak, poplar, and pine.

Useless.

--------------------

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2564970 - 04/15/04 05:07 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Why useless ?

I think SRA and Hericium erinaceus or Hericium abietis would do well on this mixture.
Or do I miss something ?

Invisiblebrainbreath
perpetual newbie
Loc: down on the corner
    #2566268 - 04/15/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It might not be completely useless, give it a try- @$4 a truckload you wouldn't be out much :wink:
Thanks for the feedback on the prices, I told 'em $30, they countered w/$24- we settled  at $26 a lb :grin:

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #2566634 - 04/16/04 04:07 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup: that is a very good price (for you!!) :grin:

OfflineBigGym
    #2568264 - 04/16/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

$26 a lb is close to $60 a kilo, which (given Bush/Cheney monetary policies) is close to what we achieve in the UK at ?45 per kilo.  Nice one!

If you don't ask, you don't get??  :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck