Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Shroomerites Anonymous

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

Thinking about addiction
    #25497222 - 09/29/18 03:13 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Addiction is a scale. Its a matter a matter of how big a part of your life do you want to make something? Everyone's life looks like a pie, and in that pie is varying percentages according to how much different activities are a part of your life. Everything from sleeping, to eating, to watching TV, to listening to music, to going to work, is a part of that pie. The typical definition of a psychological addict is somebody most people feel has made a certain behavior too much of a priority in their life, or when a certain behavior has taken up a higher percentage of the pie of life than society feels is appropriate. But depending on society's values, the definition of having a psychological addiction to a behavior can change if society's priorities change. In some countries, working more than a 40 hour work week would probably be considered being a workaholic. In some countries, a 50 hour work week would just be seen as being a hard worker and you would need to work a lot more to be defined as a workaholic. American society values work a lot, so a lot of behavior that would be considered a work addiction in other countries is encouraged here.

Physical addicts may not actually place much priority on something in their life in terms of interest but are actually using something as a way to feel balanced. Physical addiction appears the most extreme to outsiders but is actually a way of achieving balance for the addict. Where the addiction gets broken is when the addict learns to achieve balance without the substance in their lives. Physical addicts usually feel more hopeless and controlled by the substance and wish they didn't need it whereas psychological addicts simply enjoy something so much they can't think of anything else. This is why psychological addiction covers such a broad range of behaviors such as work or video games whereas physical addiction typically is only used in relation to drugs and alcohol.

Psychological addicts are much more difficult to convince, however, that their addiction is unhealthy. Physical addicts fear living without something but are often willing to change if they see a way out. Psychological addicts don't want to change. With psychological addiction, most people who are psychologically addicted will just tell you "but I really really love it." And after all, why shouldn't somebody do something that they love and that makes them happy? In some cases a mild psychological addiction may not actually be that big of a deal, it may simply be annoying to those who have different priorities and wish that someone else's priorities aligned more with theirs and are trying to steer their friends towards their own priorities so that they can work on achieving them. When a psychological addiction is truly out of control is when somebody is enjoying something so much that they fail to take care of their responsibilities. Taking care of your responsibilities leaves the door open for you to exit your current obsession whenever you want to. When people hate themselves for having previously been a psychological addict is when their addiction got bad enough that they shirked on their responsibilities to the point where the door closed on them for future opportunities. They often resent their previous selves for being so absorbed in a particular behavior that they didn't develop other skills or pursue other parts of life.

When Physical and psychological addiction are concurrent is where it gets the most dangerous. Since people who have a psychological addiction are often in the most denial over it, they often attribute physical addiction to a certain thing simply being a part of who they are. An alcoholic who is both psychologically and physically addicted may believe that the bad symptoms he experiences without alcohol are just a result of him essentially not being allowed to express a deep part of his personality similar to an artist not being allowed to paint.

While physical addictions are always bad. Mild psychological addictions can actually be good for a person if they are successful at their psychological addiction and do not allow it to progress to a moderate or severe case where it interferes with life functions. Especially since society's definition of what makes someone a psychological addict can change.

Okay, so I smoked a little weed and this is what I came up with. Do I sound full of shit or was that pretty good stuff?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous #2

Re: Thinking about addiction [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #25497233 - 09/29/18 03:22 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Can you Tl;dr?

Anonymous #3

Re: Thinking about addiction [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #25498656 - 09/29/18 06:48 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I thought it was not bad, not sure why you put it in the anonymous forum though?
Might get more interest in the pub or philosophy forum.

Anonymous #1

Re: Thinking about addiction [Re: Anonymous #3]
    #25498825 - 09/29/18 07:54 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #3 said:
I thought it was not bad, not sure why you put it in the anonymous forum though?
Might get more interest in the pub or philosophy forum.

I don't know, I was stoned when I wrote it lol.

Anonymous #2

Re: Thinking about addiction [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #25499685 - 09/30/18 02:55 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Try posting somewhere more appropriate.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Scales

Community >> Shroomerites Anonymous