Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*)
    #2549432 - 04/11/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hm.. well, I'm putting this in Support because of my own fears and paranoia about this issue. 

Recently, I've been reading alot of reports about the draft being reintroduced.  Most recently I read  this.  I've read all the links provided by these people and it paints a very scary (and convincing) picture. 

I've had private suspicians about the draft being reintroduced for months, but only read the random article on the matter.  Now it seems like I am of late being bombarded by articles and links that support the 'theory' that the draft will be coming back.  So...for the purpose of this post, lets assume that this is a very real possibility. 

Okay...I feel like my back is up against the wall.  Draft as early as June 2005?  What?  My husband and I have many plans to move to Canada as soon as his new job allows.  But that can be up to 18 months away and if these articles prove true...that will be almost half a year too late. 

Basically, I'm scared and worried.  No:  I'm terrified that the draft may come to pass before my husband and I can escape this country.  I try to live my life without fear, but I've become very scared and concerned about this.  I know that many people say, "Oh, the draft?  It'll never happen."  But every day it becomes a more likely possibility. 

So I don't know what to do.  I want to protect my husband and our little family, but we can't leave until he works 18 months at this company.  And by then it might be too late.  I would feel terrible asking my husband to pack up and leave with me under a hypothetical situation that hasn't even happened yet, and have him lose his job.  But it's really hard to rein in these fears I have. 

I will admit that it's possible that I'm making a huge deal out of nothing.  But it doesn't feel like nothing to me.  It feels like my relationship with Kevin and the life we've built together is being threatened by the government's efforts at reintroducing the draft.  It makes me feel so angry and hateful that the possibility should even exist.  It makes me want to do something drastic, but I can't do that to my husband future with this company. 

So I don't know.  I guess this is sort of a 'plea' for a solution, and just a way to vent about my concerns about this, and to see if anyone else is concerned too.  So...is anyone else worried, or am I just being crazy?  :frown: 

thanks

*me*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: MOTH]
    #2549470 - 04/11/04 10:35 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

How old is your husband?

And even if the draft is instituted, it wouldn't be a ~boom~!!! everyone's in the army now!!!
Where in Canada do you think you wish to go?

I'd consider it if it weren't so damn cold.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #2549479 - 04/11/04 10:38 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Don't worry bout it honey
Now if there was a ww2 situation happening , i'd go join up before they had a chance to draft me. But in this day and age with our pre-emtive strikes, and bullshit wars, i'd straight up refuse to do shit. rather spend some time in jail, than shooting some brown skinned folks i got no beef with.
If the time comes, and they call up hubby there is many things he can do to get out of fighting.
escape to canada-
shoot self in foot first day of basic-
tell military to go fuck itself, and get self thrown in jail for a stent-

try not to let outside forces of evil like the government/big buisness/mass murderers and such bother you. theres to much shit in your imediate life that can be worried about, and that you can actually change what goes on.
        hope this puts you at ease.        :wexican:              Peace Shady

--------------------

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2549907 - 04/12/04 01:14 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineMollyDolly
Queen Rabbit

Loc: N.C., USA
    #2554384 - 04/13/04 12:23 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

yeah but canada is making it now so that people who run there from the draft can be expedited!!!!!!!!!
you know the best thing to do? seriously, go to a doctor and act insane and get a psycho-analysis saying you're a nut, they wont draft you then HAHAHHAA. no really....its true O_O

--------------------
~~~~~*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*~~~~~

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: MollyDolly]
    #2554754 - 04/13/04 01:32 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Draft dodging is easy. If George W can do it, so can your husband. He just needs to say he has a rifle fetish or something.

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

OfflineMollyDolly
Queen Rabbit

Loc: N.C., USA
Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: MetaShroom]
    #2554984 - 04/13/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

...showing up in leather bondage clothing might help dodging as well -_O

--------------------
~~~~~*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*~~~~~

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #2556757 - 04/13/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Just tell the recruiting officer you eat lsd a lot and it makes you feel off because of it some times.

This army recruiting was harrasing me to join the army once.... it was terrible. I could totally see thru there scams on how they talk to people into joining.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: MollyDolly]
    #2556789 - 04/13/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

yeah but canada is making it now so that people who run there from the draft can be expedited!!!!!!!!!
you know the best thing to do? seriously, go to a doctor and act insane and get a psycho-analysis saying you're a nut, they wont draft you then HAHAHHAA. no really....its true O_O

Yeah. You could put pencils in your nose, your trousers on your head, and say nothing but "wibble", too.

--------------------
Why, sirrah, why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night? Withal, because a candle may be greased, yet a fillhorse be without a fat argier!

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: CeeEssGee]
    #2556963 - 04/13/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Maybe you'll want to research ways to not be drafted, such as physical and mental exclusions. If your husband can convince doctors that he has an absolutely horrible vision, or can't breath, or such (I don't know all the specific ones, you'd have to look them up,) he'd be exempted.

If the draft happened though I'd be a draft dodger, no doubt about it. My father was a draft dodger (albeit in another country,) and he said you just had to stay quiet about it and be a productive member of the community and they might overlook you. And if not, there's always Canada or Mexico or...

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineHahzist
Surfing theWaves of Chaos

Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: Ravus]
    #2557055 - 04/13/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I just dont understand why we would need a draft? I mean are they basically saying we are going to war? We just got done with Iraq! :wtf: Unless we are entering ww3 I dont see any draft going on. Oh yah, and vote Kerry! I cant stress that enough. Dont vote for the green party or other liberal party because your just giving votes to Bush. VOTE KERRY!!!  :smile: :thumbup:

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: Hahzist]
    #2557158 - 04/13/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hm, ironic that you should post that in this thread, since Kerry wants to reinstate the draft. Though I'm all for Kerry as opposed to Bush, Nader's even better, and normally I would vote Nader, but in such a close election within so few points of each other I'm going to vote Kerry.

And another huge war coming isn't completely unthinkable. The modern times are rather stressed, especially if Bush is in office for another 4 years, and who knows what will happen.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineHahzist
Surfing theWaves of Chaos

Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: Ravus]
    #2557182 - 04/13/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Well yah, reinstate it. Meaning it CAN be used. But I think Bush would actually have to use it before Kerry would. I think Kerry values diplomacy a lot more than Bush.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #2557390 - 04/13/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

i'm not worried about the draft.. i have a heart condition :wink: (it doesn't afffect my every day life but it's enough to keep me out of the army!)

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2558175 - 04/14/04 07:44 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I'll be damned- these are real proposed bills going before Congress. I don't think they will ever pass because I think it would be much more difficult for the President to go on foreign adventures if people had no choice in the matter.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: Hahzist]
    #2558642 - 04/14/04 10:12 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Bills for and about the draft come up every time there is a major military action.
And notice we haven't had one pass in a long, long time.
But we should still remain vigilant.

They're proposing it because the Iraq occupation is requiring many more troops than they imagined. Their tours of duties are being extended constantly and they've been sending National Guard troops into active combat. (makes you wonder why they call it the National Guard).

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) [Re: valour]
    #2559916 - 04/14/04 03:03 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  After I wrote this I felt a little bit silly because it's true that if they pass a draft bill, it doesn't mean that everyone is automatically drafted right away.  It helps my paranoia a little bit to think that.  :smile:

But I'll definately be keeping my eye on it... :shiftyeyes:

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
    #2563146 - 04/15/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Well, also, what would help is if you tried to control your reactions to something like this. There's no big reason to be upset. Like you say: even if a draft will be passed, it doesn't mean that everyone will be drafted. More important, though, being drafted doesn't neccesarily mean you will be sent to war (in fact, if you have any intelligence whatsoever, it's pretty easy to get a job that doesn't involve any fighting whatsoever, if you try hard enough), and even so, being drafted is only about what, 2, 3 years? Not such a long time when you think about it. Coping with paranoia (and anxiety), is all about thinking that it doesn't really matter. Sounds cold, doesn't it? It is, but it works.

--------------------
Why, sirrah, why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night? Withal, because a candle may be greased, yet a fillhorse be without a fat argier!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2593663 - 04/23/04 02:13 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

If I felt that my country's cause was just and right, I would go fight with them.

I do not feel that my country's current leaders' aims are just and right, and would not want to support their cause. I am not going into the united states military.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Scared of what's to come (Draft *?*) *DELETED* [Re: Strumpling]
    #2594427 - 04/23/04 10:35 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder