Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRobotic_touch
Mischief Managed
Female

Loc: under your bed
Contaminated Jars?
    #2549359 - 04/11/04 09:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Has there ever been any cases when someone was not able to tell if there substrate was contaminated and died!? I dont mean just noobs either because I know a lot of people can be ignorant going into this hobby, (I am myself but am on my way to education) and lucky for this site.

I know there are ways to tell if there is bacteria or whatnot inside but has it ever happened that there were no visible symptoms and no way to tell?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Contaminated Jars? [Re: Robotic_touch]
    #2549399 - 04/11/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How long since you noc'd em up? Do yo have myc growth or has it not germinated at all? If you have growth that has just stalled you should try turning them upside down to let out the co2 build up and get in some fresh oxygen. Co2 is heavier than air and will stay in the jar if you dont turn em upside down every now and then. If the case is no myc growth at all and it has been 14 days or more since you noc'd em up it is time to think about a re-do IMO.
To anwer your question about invisible contams the answer unfortunately is yes they can be there with no visible signs. This is usually some form of bacterial contam. THey will usually ,however,give off an odor that is not so good. Sniffin' up contams is not a good idea though because there is some shit that can grow in there that will mess you up and in some rare instances make you deathly ill. If you decide to chuck them and start over it is a good idea to throw them into the pc again and kill the shit good before you take them outside and dump them in the yard. Hope this helps you out. There is alot of good info in the contamination forum if you want to learn more about them and their individual characteristics.

--------------------

InvisibleRobotic_touch
Mischief Managed
Female

#2549416 - 04/11/04 10:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I havent started yet.........I am just curious about it for when I do start. So there can be invisible contamination that can kill you?! That sux. Also I never heard about flipping them upside down but thanx for the info....throw them into the pc?? what do u mean.....

--------------------

Anonymous

#2549421 - 04/11/04 11:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by user's request.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2549434 - 04/11/04 11:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I meant that once you decide to throw them out you should put them into the pressure cooker for about 45 min to be sure that you or your neighbors cat dont get any exposure to the contams that may have been present. The pc will kill them. Just a safety precaution. Didnt mean to freak you out or anything just think it is important to let you know that getting sick from contamination is possible,although it is very from what i understand.
**Oh and by the way EuphoricMark is right about the contamination forum. It is the best place to get this kind of information. People around here seem to get a little aggravated when stuff gets posted in the wrong place. You'll learn that if you stick around but dont let that bother you there are alot of experienced people here that know alot about this stuff and you can learn a shitload from them......... So just browse around the different forums and get a better feel for what info is here and where to find it and you are sure to have a good time in this place.

--------------------

InvisibleRobotic_touch
Mischief Managed
Female

Re: Contaminated Jars? [Re: Mykey]
    #2549453 - 04/12/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

K if I knew how to delete this whole post I would, sorry about posting in the wrong place, feel free to delete......and thanx for your help mykey!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation