Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycelesoul
Stranger
 User Gallery
Spawn to bulk dried grains
    #25490427 - 09/26/18 12:16 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Hey everybody, I have this jar that has a GE hole too big (I realized it too late).

As you can see, the grain dried up and the mycelium is rather weak. If I would spawn it to bulk, will the regenerate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Far Far Away
Re: Spawn to bulk dried grains [Re: Mycelesoul]
    #25490433 - 09/26/18 12:20 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

How big is the hole? Have you just shaken the jar before the picture given the white looks distributed throughout the uncolonized grain?

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spawn to bulk dried grains [Re: Shroomspective]
    #25490502 - 09/26/18 12:49 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

if it's actually just a little dry it should recover fine but it's entirely possible that you have other problems. a shake test could prove beneficial. if it's actually just a little dry on top, shaking it up really well should redistribute the moisture and you can see if it recovers well. but truth be told, i feel like you've got other problems in there.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
Re: Spawn to bulk dried grains [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #25490516 - 09/26/18 12:56 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

I suspect bacteria present... A lot of folks rehydrate grain before spawning by filling shaken jars with room temp tap water for 10 minutes and draining thoroughly ... though this could greatly exacerbate any contamination issue... might consider compensating by mixing bulk slightly over (not much) feild capacity to offset and rehydrate the spawn indirectly

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spawn to bulk dried grains [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25490525 - 09/26/18 01:01 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

even "field capacity" bulk sub has enough water to re hydrate slightly dry grains. i'd be careful about adding too much water to the sub. also, a top layer of sub would be a good idea if your grains are a little too dry.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Spawn to bulk dried grains [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #25490528 - 09/26/18 01:02 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah,  overkill is easy... but I suspect any issues will derive from the spawn itself: not looking too hot

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spawn to bulk dried grains [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25490563 - 09/26/18 01:17 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
I suspect bacteria present... A lot of folks rehydrate grain before spawning by filling shaken jars with room temp tap water for 10 minutes and draining thoroughly ... though this could greatly exacerbate any contamination issue... might consider compensating by mixing bulk slightly over (not much) feild capacity to offset and rehydrate the spawn indirectly

dunking colonized grain is :thumbdown: I don't think very many people are actually doing that anymore.

I personally would shake the jar. If it recovers, fine to spawn. but definitely not trying to rehydrate the grains. If you insist, just add the water to the coir.

its just bad practice to dunk grains and pour away tons of mycelium in the water when you don't have to. incorprate more water into the sub, but for Gods sake don't pour your mycelium down the drain.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Spawn to bulk dried grains [Re: Munchauzen]
    #25490567 - 09/26/18 01:21 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

I don't do it, and wouldn't spawn that jar personally... but I have quite a stockpile and can afford to be picky LOL... was just a suggestion I've seen and suspect OP  to do his own follow-up research

OfflineMycelesoul
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Spawn to bulk dried grains [Re: Munchauzen]
    #25490653 - 09/26/18 02:02 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomspective said:
How big is the hole? Have you just shaken the jar before the picture given the white looks distributed throughout the uncolonized grain?

It's pretty big, 3/4 inch. The jar was shaken around 10 days ago. This is after the recovery.

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
if it's actually just a little dry it should recover fine but it's entirely possible that you have other problems. a shake test could prove beneficial. if it's actually just a little dry on top, shaking it up really well should redistribute the moisture and you can see if it recovers well. but truth be told, i feel like you've got other problems in there.

Quote:

Munchauzen said:
Quote:

Caps McGee said:

dunking colonized grain is :thumbdown: I don't think very many people are actually doing that anymore.

I personally would shake the jar. If it recovers, fine to spawn. but definitely not trying to rehydrate the grains. If you insist, just add the water to the coir.

its just bad practice to dunk grains and pour away tons of mycelium in the water when you don't have to. incorprate more water into the sub, but for Gods sake don't pour your mycelium down the drain.

I have another one with the exact same condition that I shook today. Looks pretty dry at the moment, I will keep an eye and see if it shows signs of recovery.

Thanks for the tips.

OfflineMycelesoul
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25495265 - 09/28/18 09:33 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Things start to look good, I will probably spawn it

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25495329 - 09/28/18 10:07 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Long way to go man

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder