Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblind_guardian
shroom-head
Loc: Vernon, BC
Innoculation question
    #2548878 - 04/11/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

After preparing and sterilizing the jars and after you inoculate, how do you seal the holes opened by the syringe, is the sterility jeopardized if the ring part of the jar lid is taken off (say if you take it off and replace the tinfoil layer)?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMoNk
pupil

Re: Innoculation question [Re: blind_guardian]
    #2548885 - 04/11/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

when you inccoculate through the 4 holes you made in the top of your lid through the dry layer of vermiculite and and inject... then you pull it back out the dry layer will fill in the area moved out of the way by the needle.... if that helps.

Offlineblind_guardian
shroom-head
Loc: Vernon, BC
Re: Innoculation question [Re: MoNk]
    #2548889 - 04/11/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

so youre saying that the top layer of verm protects the spores inside from contams? even so, id like to make absolute sure that i get as little chance of contam as possible by replacing the punctured tinfoil layer, so by removing the ring dealy from the jar, will that create potential contam risks?

InvisibleMoNk
pupil

#2548946 - 04/11/04 07:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

well some people just put tape back over the holes you injected through. but if you really want foil why not over the top of the entire thing? no need to take off the ring.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2549315 - 04/11/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If you really want to make double sure that everything stays clean inside here is what you do:
1.get you a tube of high temp silicone from the auto parts store.(few bucks and it will last a long time.)
2.after you make your holes just squeeze out a little directly onto each hole and kind of pat it down so it spreads out about as big as your little fingernail and 1/8" thick.
3. Let them dry for about an hour before you pc. No need for layer of tin foil under the jar ring this way ,but you still need to put some over the top of entire lid before it goes into pc.
***Now when you are ready to innoculate you will just poke needle through silicone and when you pull it out it will seal itself.***
This method will backup the dry verm layer and ensure contam free jars quite well. Once your jars are filling up with myc you might want to pop off the silicone to allow for better air exchange.
Do it this way and you can rest a little easier. Good luck!!

--------------------

Offlineempath
I feel you

Loc: Seattle
Re: Innoculation question [Re: Mykey]
    #2549487 - 04/12/04 12:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good tip Mykey! Had some trouble with the poly-fill method. A little hassle finding the right amount to allow syringe to go thru without poly falling in.

But won't the silicone be air tight, not allowing pressure to escape when you PC? I have household silicone rated at 400 F, do you suppose this will be good enough?

--------------------
"It tastes like burning"-Ralph Wiggum

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Innoculation question [Re: empath]
    #2551513 - 04/12/04 03:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Woops! I guess I did leave out the part about getting around that problem! Sorry about that,but here is what my friend does to get around the vacuum seal. He lays a stack of coffee filters down and traces a circle around the(outside) ring of a jar lid onto them. Then he cuts em out and puts a couple of them onto the top of the jar between the dry verm and the lid. THis does a good job of preventing the seal and also adds one more line of defense. Those little contams will need a battering ram to get into those jars.
The silicone you've got sounds like it will do just fine. The pc will only put out about 250 deg.
One more tip:--When you put the silicone on let it go into the hole just a little to help it hang on to the jar when you pull the needle out. (He also said that the cone type of coffee filters seem be a little thicker and better quality but it is probably a matter of opinion.)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation