Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

White Web Bugs....Help
    #2548695 - 04/11/04 01:45 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

For quite some time now I've had the persistant white web bugs on some of my plants, I think they were introduced via a small rose plant I bought at home depot, because that's the first place I saw them, but now they've spread to my morning glories and attempted at some other plants. They spring up seemingly over night and build tiny thin webs and you can see them crawling around in them. I think they lay eggs on the underside of the leaves maybe...they eat at the leaves, but hardly ever all the way through, they just make it much lighter in appearce (they create many tiny white dots on the leaves, so many that it looks like the leaf is just geting lighter) I've sprayed them with a nicotine/soap/pepper mixture several times and they die back but return again...they haven't really spread to any of my other plants that bad but they have basicaly destroyed the original rose plant and some of my mornign glories. I thought I would solve the problem on the rose bush by trimming it back to the main stalk, but no new leaves grew and were fine for a while then bam one day they jsut had all these web bugs...any clues as to what these are and how to get rid of them? Thanks a lot.

Peace and Much Love

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: White Web Bugs....Help [Re: Hooty]
    #2552318 - 04/12/04 11:23 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like it could be an infestation of white flies. White flies lay their eggs in the soil, so after you spray they'll return again. You need to break their cycle by repeated sprayings every 7 days until you are comfortable that they are completely gone. Check with your local garden store for a possibly more effective spray - what you're using may be very good, but I don't know how much your plants can handle repeated sprayings (it may be the perfect spray, I'm just ignorant). I've read that for some reason worm castings laid down heavily and worked into the soil will help control them.

There are a lot of links on this page, check 'em out.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2552352 - 04/12/04 11:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

sounds like a mite infestation.
look for spider mites, they'll eat the bad ones on their own web.

FH

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: White Web Bugs....Help [Re: felixhigh]
    #2552394 - 04/12/04 11:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Seems like your diagnoses may be a bit more accurate than mine. Check this out, Spider Mites And Their Control.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: White Web Bugs....Help [Re: Evolving]
    #2556370 - 04/13/04 08:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

felix high i think you were right on the money....but I would have thought that my spraying would have done them in by now, I've been doing it pretty regularly for many weeks...i'll try using lady bugs and see if that doesn't work. These things are a fucking nuissance.

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #2556394 - 04/13/04 08:42 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You need to wash the soil down with the pesticide too. I was having the same problem with leaf hoppers. The are gone now after watering the plant with the nicotine spray and continuing to spray them. Good luck man.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: White Web Bugs....Help [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #2556443 - 04/13/04 08:54 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

That's just the thing, when ever I spray the body of the plant I spray the soil too...they're not as bad as they once were but they're still very much around...

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinedastats
Efrum theretarded rabbit
Loc: B.C.
    #2557531 - 04/14/04 02:25 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, get some lady bugs, they will eat them little basterds up quick. You can get lots for cheap. outherwise you could try some safers "mite away". Its in a yellow bottle anyway by safers.
Good luck, really though, try getting lady bugs.

--------------------
Peace all.

Jater

Offlinesnowspeed1
Psychonaut
    #2557894 - 04/14/04 04:16 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The webs sound like it could me tent caterpillars. We are having an infestation in the northwest. The best way to deal with tent caterpillars is to chop off the branch with the tent web and immediatley burn it. There are no over the counter pesticides that will effectivley kill them. You have to have a pesticide liscense to get the pesticides that will kill them permanently.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #2559622 - 04/14/04 04:11 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I actually had to water the plant with it to finally rid my child of them. I think that spraying might not penitrate the soil enough.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden