Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRango
Beginner
 User Gallery

Noob first inoculation. Is this mycelium ?
    #25472975 - 09/19/18 02:44 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Hi guys. So i think i got my first little buddy to show up. Only one lol

Don't see anything on the outside but this one. I know they're cultivating from inside out (i hope);

But wanted some confirmation comments that's mycelium not cobweb and if it's healthy growth so far or too early to tell?

BTW this is day 6. It's 3 lbs bag of 5 grain spawn from MGK.
Hoping there is more on the inside i can't see. Thoughts?

P.S You may need to move scroll bar to the right as  it's big pic to see this single one buddy.

Edited by Rango (09/19/18 02:52 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetrip_hazard
Lost in thunk
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The happiest place on ear...
Re: Noob first inoculation. Is this mycelium ? [Re: Rango]
    #25473000 - 09/19/18 03:02 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Looks good to me.  Cobweb is 'whispier' and more grey than myc white.  Congrats!

OfflineRango
Beginner
 User Gallery

Re: Noob first inoculation. Is this mycelium ? [Re: trip_hazard]
    #25475312 - 09/20/18 01:02 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks. I injected 4cc so it's plenty. Just hoping there is more on the inside that i can't see as if not this is going to take a longggggg time.

It's slow. I'm just hoping its not just this one grain that's growing. It's 7 days in now and that's the only one i see. Nothing more. It's actually my worry now.

I will go with jars next time as that's smaller batch processing so growth is faster and separates rye to give you more security of contamination too. I was thinking about doing jars but greed in my and economics of big bag won me over. I just learned another lesson. Smaller is better then bigger.

At this pace from day one to final day i see it 2 months. Kinda long. lol

Edited by Rango (09/20/18 01:06 PM)

OfflineRango
Beginner
 User Gallery

#25475800 - 09/20/18 04:12 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Guys i have few questions if you can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

1. My temperatures are almost always 78-86F, little high but i don't know how to lower it without running ac all day. If myc can grow i don't wanna i add electrical bill just for that.

2. I was actually looking at the bag and i don't see any humidity, no droplets inside the bag. It's pretty dry since this bag was cooked before shipping obviously and i don't see much mycelium to crate humidity? Is this dryness normal at day 7-8?

3. Should i lock this bag into tub to create humidity but then temp will increase substantially due to lack of air flow.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #25475827 - 09/20/18 04:23 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

1. I would keep your house 65-75 just for the sake of the woodwork and everything else.

2. You can't see humidity. Condensation has little to do with humidity. Condensation happens from temperature difference and occurs even at low humidity. Humidity inside a bag or jar is basically irrelevant anyway. Grain prep is important.

3. Putting it in a tub won't do anything for the "humidity" of the bag. And it certainly won't be helping anything locking it in a tub

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Noob first inoculation. Is this mycelium ? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25476031 - 09/20/18 05:35 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

When you inoculated that bag did you squirt the spores all over or did you go down the center? I am assuming by the growth being on the outer part of the bag that you squirted the spores all over. Next time squirt down the center that way all the spores are in one localized spot and the spores can find a mate easier and faster. This will speed up colonization time. If you did go down the center then you are just not seeing the growth because it is mostly in the center of the bag. What I see looks good. Once that bag is fully colonized make up some grain jars and do G2G transfer. I would do at least 12 jars. A couple table spoons eyeballed is all you need for each jar. Use the rest for your grow. That will put you way ahead when you need more grain spawn.

Going down the center also helps you to know when the bag is done because the growth started in the middle when the outside is fully colonized wait a couple more days and you are good to go.

Edited by SHROOMSISAY01 (09/20/18 05:45 PM)

OfflineRango
Beginner
 User Gallery

Re: Noob first inoculation. Is this mycelium ? [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #25476549 - 09/20/18 09:16 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I injected 4cc down the middle and then after i flipped the bag few times to spread it around all over the grain. That is why this one stranger is on very outside.

Was that a mistake to do? Is it still going to colonize?

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
    #25476567 - 09/20/18 09:23 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

A lot of folks don't shake after innoculating with syringe, and inmoculate where germination can be observed, then around 30% (norm, so long as there's enough to spread efficiently) mix it thoroughly... this has the added advantage of identifying contamination sooner

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25476802 - 09/20/18 11:59 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rango said:
I injected 4cc down the middle and then after i flipped the bag few times to spread it around all over the grain. That is why this one stranger is on very outside.

Was that a mistake to do? Is it still going to colonize?

It will colonize fine. I would not flip the bag in the future. This way all the spores are in one spot straight down and can find a mate easier. This speeds up colonization in my opinion. You can also mark a spot on the bag with a marker and shoot spores down the side of the bag as stated above. This may show contamination sooner. But in my opinion it slows down colonization because the mycelium only has one way to grow from and that is away from the bag. Spores that are placed in the center have 360 degrees to grow out from. But I would do in the center or against the bag and do not shake the bag unless you enjoy waiting longer. From what I can see in the pic. You have healthy myceliuum so All this time can be avoided by buying some grains one of these (whole oats, rye berries or rye grain same thing, milo or millet). Then do G2G transfers you should never need another syringe. But this is only if you want to save time and money and plan on growing for awhile. Anyway I am here to help IM me if you need any help.

OfflineRango
Beginner
 User Gallery

#25476878 - 09/21/18 12:53 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Once that bag is fully colonized make up some grain jars and do G2G transfer. I would do at least 12 jars. A couple table spoons eyeballed is all you need for each jar. Use the rest for your grow. That will put you way ahead when you need more grain spawn.

What is G2G transfer? Sorry i'm new here and this term and this technique is not familiar to me? I don't have any jars yet either. Do you have a link to method you're referring to?

For method I was thinking of using BOD's Easy AF UnBODified Monotub TEK (No Holes No Polyfil) method as it's low maintenance.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22337800

I thought after it colonizes it's ready to be layered into pasteurized substrate (i have coco and verm). BTW i'm just planing to pour boiling water into coco and same with verm to pasteurize it. I was told that's enough?

Here is the setup. I only colonized one 3 lbs 5 grain bag. That's it. 
I have one brick of coco (8qrts) and i think it's 2 lbs bag of verm (8qrts)
The other 3 lbs bag of grains is in fridge and not used. Still have 6cc of spores in fridge also.

Is this 3 lbs myc rye going to be enough for 32 qts tub? I was thinking to keep the other one in case i screw up somehow or get contamination. With 3 flushes i think that will be plenty?

Thinking of using 1" bottom layer of verm, then middle rye with myc and then on top 1" of coco and some verm. Verm and coco soaked in water.
Is this 3 lbs of myc be enough to layer in?

I'm thinking of getting petri dishes and agar next time if it can help with time. If you can help with any suggestions with my setup thank you in advance.

BTW I can only inject from that one spot so not sure how to do what u said it's better. Here is how those bags look like.

Edited by Rango (09/21/18 01:09 AM)

InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void

Loc: Far Far Away
    #25476956 - 09/21/18 02:36 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Here's a good G2G tek Grain to grain in a SAB

Watch the spawning to bulk vid, as there are no layers as such
Spawning to bulk in a monotub

As for the amount of spawn, 2lbs is roughly 1qt so unlikely to be enough. What are the dimensions of the tub?

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Noob first inoculation. Is this mycelium ? [Re: Shroomspective]
    #25476984 - 09/21/18 03:34 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

The above post by Shroomspective has a tek for G2G. I didn't go through it but it looks like it has the basic idea. You will need a still air box or a Flow hood and I am sure you don't have a flow hood at this point. So look up still air box and build one make sure your tote is as high as one you can find so you don't have a problem using it. You are going to want to get a pressure cooker at some point also. I you have one before you do the G2G transfer wrap a table spoon in aluminum foil and pressure cook it for 30 mins at 15 psi. Doing this will make the spoon sterile enough to use for the G2G transfer. Otherwise it will be very hard to get the grains from bag to jars. You might have a few jars contaminate. Don't worry a half of a jar is more than enough for an 8 pound bag of grains. then when you get to your last jar just use it for 12 more jars.

As far as this tek goes...
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22337800

I do not understand how it works and can not say what the results would be.

I can however say that a regular 5 quart mono tub with polyfill stuffed in the holes is what I use to use. I had 6 tubs going and would get at least 5 oz dry from each tub. I had mine set up like this to save space...

I would stick with the proven mono tube if it was me!

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17332777#17332777

I found my old post on how I did my mono tubs I used 1 1/2 pvc and hot glued them in. to make it a little easier to dial in. you only need about an inch of pvc for each hole if you go this route.

I figured I might as well add the coir tek I used...

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11916595

Edited by SHROOMSISAY01 (09/21/18 04:13 AM)

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Noob first inoculation. Is this mycelium ? [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #25477573 - 09/21/18 09:55 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Many of us have been introducing "fruiting conditions" at spawn ,in unmodified tubs with the lid flipped with excellent results :

Here's  a great tek used by many...
EVERYTHING else  from prints, agar, grain prep etc

OfflineRango
Beginner
 User Gallery

#25477908 - 09/21/18 12:34 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomspective said:
Here's a good G2G tek Grain to grain in a SAB

Watch the spawning to bulk vid, as there are no layers as such
Spawning to bulk in a monotub

As for the amount of spawn, 2 lbs is roughly 1qt so unlikely to be enough. What are the dimensions of the tub?

Ahhh great. That spawn to bulk video helped a lot. That's what i'm going to do at first try. I want to keep it simple. The more variables i introduce the more errors i can make and i would rather have lower yield then no yield.

So it's 3 lbs grain bag which comes out to  1.44 qts. So i did math based on that video. Video used 54 qts container. Mine is 32 qts so mine is 60% of the that container. So i multiplied everything by 60%. 1 coco coir 1 lbs brick so that's enough for my 32 qts tub. I have 1 lbs verm bag too.

My tub is Sterilite 32qts /30L / 18.5 L x 14 7/8 W x 11 1/8 H.

I will have less then 50% short on spawn but it will be 3 flushes so i don't need huge yield. I just need to yield enough. I still have 2nd 3 lbs bag in the fridge with 6cc spores left too. I was keeping that for emergency situation of contamination of first bag. I can pull this out but now i'm 10 days behind on second bag so timing will be off now.

I'm thinking instead of mixing all this up like in video just make first 1" layer of coir then cover this with spawn all over the first layer then put 2" layer of coir on top of spawn layer. That way i have even distribution and spawn doesn't end it in weird places like corner of the box which won't be optimal. What do u guys think of this? This also will help i think with not enough spawn being there?

Or make first layer 2" then spawn then 1" on top? That will give it more light penetration too? Thoughts guys? Thank you to all u guys for tips.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25477919 - 09/21/18 12:40 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

The first link I provided is a tek for 32 and 54qt tubs... stupid simple too

Also, some easy substrate calculations for determining the amount of spawn and sub needed for a given set of tub dimensions, at a given spawn to sub ratio

OfflineRango
Beginner
 User Gallery

Re: Noob first inoculation. Is this mycelium ? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25478089 - 09/21/18 02:08 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
The first link I provided is a tek for 32 and 54qt tubs... stupid simple too

Also, some easy substrate calculations for determining the amount of spawn and sub needed for a given set of tub dimensions, at a given spawn to sub ratio

Thanks boss. Great info. So much info on spawn calculator. If you can suggest something it would be greatly appreciated but i will read that. It's just lots of info here all at once so it's too much to compute at one seating.

Can i use perlite and sprinkle it on top of the very top layer of coir to keep humidity high in the tub? I will still be misting but this may help in humidity control? Has anyone tried that?

I'm thinking of ditching the verm and just using coco coir. Thoughts?

Is coco coir better then verm or do they have different functions?
I saw some ppl using  mixture of both so hence my question.

Edited by Rango (09/21/18 02:32 PM)

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25478841 - 09/21/18 06:41 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

For 32qt, I believe 4-5 qt spawn with 60-75% brick would serve well

InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void

Loc: Far Far Away
Re: Noob first inoculation. Is this mycelium ? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25478874 - 09/21/18 06:50 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

There's an original spreadsheet based calc from a few years back, but I still use it to plan my mono grows, it works well:thumbup:

GORNYHUY'S BULK SUBSTRATE CALCULATOR SPREADSHEET

OfflineRango
Beginner
 User Gallery

#25480827 - 09/22/18 01:20 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
For 32qt, I believe 4-5 qt spawn with 60-75% brick would serve well

Thank you all guys. I inoculated second bag as obviously as you guys pointed out that i'm way too short on spawn.
I will have 3 qts (6 lbs) of spawn hopefully if everything goes well. I think that will be enough. I'm not going for record amount and maybe if i'm lucky cubes will surprise me. I just need it to work hehe.

At very worst i can always get a smaller tub but since when more space for cubes is worst then less space hehe.

This time i put 1cc in the center and 1cc in each corner on the inside, 3cc total. Made a needle hole from top and sprinkled 1ccx2 on very top. I did not shake the bag this time so we will see the result between those two bags how they turn out. Did same also on first bag 1cc on top to see if it's actually doing anything and have different inoculation point.

So each 3 lbs bag now has 5cc of spores injected. I did shake in circular motion (like a centrifuge) the syringe also before inoculation to get even distribution on the inside. If that doesn't inoculate those bags then there is something wrong with those spores i got. I did clear surface with alcohol and then sealed the hole with tape. I also cleaned rubber stopper with alcohol and sealed it with tape too. Just to be OCD about it.

What do u guys think about verm? Should i just use coir brick and ditch the verm or is verm actually useful? What about putting some perlite inside on very top layer to increase humidity?

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel but i guess i'm not fully understand what all those substrates do well and why some ppl mention perlite (3hr video) and some don't bother to use it. To be honest i'm more curious about perlite then verm but would rather ask then mess it up.

Edited by Rango (09/22/18 01:55 PM)

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25481065 - 09/22/18 03:07 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I've used verm... didn't really see a difference... coir only is cheaper and eliminates a step/vector for contamination... if you've got it and can't put to use in compost or gardening, use it so it doesn't go to waste... but it's not necessary or beneficial IMO/E... Proper feild capacity won't need much added water before first flush harvest, and can be dunked afterwards to minimize misting for subsequent flushes... I wouldn't put perlite in the substrate; may end up inadvertently eating some with your fruit

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures