Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetravisscott
Stranger
Noob here checking in to see how you guys think my fruiting is going
    #25478600 - 09/21/18 05:34 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I had my temp set too low originally, so I tried to correct and overcorrected a bit as you can see in the pic, but it still seems to be going OK.  I am not actually sure when the proper time to start harvesting is, or if some of these are growing a bit too fast/improperly/whatever.  Just looking for opinions since it's my first time.  Thanks.  (Strain is B+ btw)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBearded Irishman
Bearded Irishman

Re: Noob here checking in to see how you guys think my fruiting is going [Re: travisscott]
    #25478609 - 09/21/18 05:36 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Room temp is fine, fuzzy feet means you need more FAE

Those are some big guys though.

--------------------
Novice mycologist, my first inoculation was 8/1/18.

Edited by Bearded Irishman (09/21/18 05:36 PM)

InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Far Far Away
Re: Noob here checking in to see how you guys think my fruiting is going [Re: Bearded Irishman]
    #25478622 - 09/21/18 05:39 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

:whathesaid:

Shotgun chamber needs holes for FAE..But good work getting this far:thumbup: Harvest just before the veil breaks ideally

Offlinetravisscott
Stranger
Re: Noob here checking in to see how you guys think my fruiting is going [Re: Bearded Irishman]
    #25478626 - 09/21/18 05:41 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bearded Irishman said:

I have an air pump on a mechanical timer going for 2 hours every day (noon-1 and 12am-1am); should I increase that and if so how much would you recommend?

I'm going to assume that big is good in this case :x

edit:

Quote:

Shroomspective said:

Shotgun chamber needs holes for FAE..But good work getting this far:thumbup: Harvest just before the veil breaks ideally

Can't see it in the pic (it's off to the left a little bit) but there is an air pump setup to go for 2 hours a day.  I'll just up it to a couple more hours I suppose.  Is there some obvious indication of when the veil might break??  I've been reading that's when you harvest but tbh I'm not 100% sure what that means exactly

Edited by travisscott (09/21/18 05:43 PM)

OfflineBearded Irishman
Bearded Irishman

Re: Noob here checking in to see how you guys think my fruiting is going [Re: travisscott]
    #25478631 - 09/21/18 05:42 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

travisscott said:
Quote:

Bearded Irishman said:

I have an air pump on a mechanical timer going for 2 hours every day (noon-1 and 12am-1am); should I increase that and if so how much would you recommend?

Those fruits are looking great! You could try inverting your lid or adding holes to the box. I only use an air pump in a glass of water to increase RH, but even then you have to worry about bacteria growing.

--------------------
Novice mycologist, my first inoculation was 8/1/18.

InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void

#25478638 - 09/21/18 05:46 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

If you have a proper SGFC with 1/4" holes evenly spaced every 2 inches, and 4 inches of perlite that has been well soaked, then you don't need the pumps etc..Just a daily mist to get evaporation going and promote pinning:thumbup:

Offlinetravisscott
Stranger
Re: Noob here checking in to see how you guys think my fruiting is going [Re: Shroomspective]
    #25478645 - 09/21/18 05:49 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bearded Irishman said:
Quote:

travisscott said:
Quote:

Bearded Irishman said:

Those fruits are looking great! You could try inverting your lid or adding holes to the box. I only use an air pump in a glass of water to increase RH, but even then you have to worry about bacteria growing.

I'll try inverting the lid, the idea of cutting a bunch of holes in there and jostling the shit out of the cakes makes me nervous for whatever reason, even though these are clearly some hardy boys to survive my noob ass.  Thanks!!

Quote:

Shroomspective said:
If you have a proper SGFC with 1/4" holes evenly spaced every 2 inches, and 4 inches of perlite that has been well soaked, then you don't need the pumps etc..Just a daily mist to get evaporation going and promote pinning:thumbup:

Yeah I figured that just the pump would be enough.  I'll try out what BI was saying and see what's up

Thanks guys :laugh:

OfflineBLINKfan420
Jedi
I'm a teapot

Re: Noob here checking in to see how you guys think my fruiting is going [Re: Shroomspective]
    #25478666 - 09/21/18 05:55 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I hate to be the Debbie Downer but those fruits do NOT look great..  they're so long and skinny because they're suffocating. 

More FAE will give you meatier fruits and most likely and even better yield.

Still, kudos for growing some shrooms!

You really should convert that tub all the way into a Shot Gun Fruiting Chamber.  Look up a tek on this forum via the search bar.  If I were you, I would get to work on that asap.  Just take the cakes out while you modify the tub. Theyll be fine for an hour or 2 out of the chamber.

Also, ditch the hygrometer.  Even the expensive ones are  inaccurate when it comes to surface humidity and they will cause a lot more problems than they will help.  If you dont have the heart to ditch it then just remember it's never correct. Mist and fan according to the conditions on the surface of the cake.

BLiNK

--------------------

All my pictures are drawn from imagination.  I don't even know what a mushroom is.

Edited by BLINKfan420 (09/21/18 06:01 PM)

OfflineBLINKfan420
Jedi
I'm a teapot

Re: Noob here checking in to see how you guys think my fruiting is going [Re: BLINKfan420]
    #25478674 - 09/21/18 05:57 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Also... what are you guys talking about.. inverting the lid on an SGFC??? That is NOT common practice and I wouldn't recommend it.  That is for unmodified monotubs (which this is not). SGFCs work in a completely different way.

Drill quarter inch holes evenly on all six sides (lid included) add some more hydrated perlite (3 - 4 inches) and elevate the tub by the corners 4 inches off what its sitting on so air can flow beneath it.  Then mist and fan as needed (maybe twice a dat)

BLiNK

--------------------

All my pictures are drawn from imagination.  I don't even know what a mushroom is.

Edited by BLINKfan420 (09/21/18 06:03 PM)

InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void

Re: Noob here checking in to see how you guys think my fruiting is going [Re: BLINKfan420]
    #25478677 - 09/21/18 05:59 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

The Tek is linked in my sig :thumbup:

Offlinetravisscott
Stranger
    #25478685 - 09/21/18 06:02 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BLINKfan420 said:
I hate to be the Debbie Downer but those fruits do NOT look great..  they're so long and skinny because they're suffocating. 

More FAE will give you meatier fruits and most likely and even better yield.

Still, kudos for growing some shrooms!

You really should convert that tub all the way into a Shot Gun Fruiting Chamber.  Look up a tek on this forum via the search bar.  If I were you, I would get to work on that asap.  Just take the cakes out while you modify the tub. Theyll be fine for an hour or 2 out of the chamber.

Also, ditch the hygrometer.  Even the expensive ones are  inaccurate when it comes to surface humidity and they will cause a lot more problems than they will help.  If you dont have the heart to ditch it then just remember it's never correct. Mist and fan according to the conditions on the surface of the cake.

BLiNK

Quote:

BLINKfan420 said:
Also... what are you guys talking about.. inverting the lid on an SGFC??? That is NOT common practice and I wouldn't recommend it.  That is for unmodified monotubs.  SGFCs work in a completely different way.

Drill those quarter inch holes evenly on all six sides (lid included) add some more hydrated perlite and elevate the tub by the corners 4 inches off what its sitting on.  Then mist and fan as needed (maybe twice a dat)

BLiNK

Thanks, this is the stuff I wanted to hear.  I knew I couldn't be that lucky to not fuck up something somehow :p

question: after converting the SGFC will the next flush come out better, or is it a bit irreversible at this point?

Edited by travisscott (09/21/18 06:04 PM)

OfflineBLINKfan420
Jedi
I'm a teapot

#25478691 - 09/21/18 06:04 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I had some major typos.  I went and corrected them so hopefully that makes just about perfect sense now.

And I forgot to mention, air pumps have been outdated in this hobby since circa 2008.  With a properly built SGFC you won't need the pump. Physics does all the work.  You'll just need to rehydrate the perlite in the tub every 2 - 3 weeks.  You can do that by taking it outside and drenching it with a hose or I like to put the whole tub in my shower for 15 min. :rofl:

BLiNK

--------------------

Edited by BLINKfan420 (09/21/18 06:07 PM)

Offlinetravisscott
Stranger
    #25478716 - 09/21/18 06:09 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BLINKfan420 said:
I had some major typos.  I went and corrected them so hopefully that makes just about perfect sense now.

And I forgot to mention, air pumps have been outdated in this hobby since circa 2008.  With a properly built SGFC you won't need the pump. Physics does all the work.  You'll just need to rehydrate the perlite in the tub every 2 - 3 weeks.  You can do that by taking it outside and drenching it with a hose or I like to put the whole tub in my shower for 15 min. :rofl:

BLiNK

This is all good info man, thanks.  I made an edit earlier but I imagine you didnt see it; but will the second flush go better after converting the SGFC?  Or is it the mycelium itself that's deprived of o2 at this point?

InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void

#25478727 - 09/21/18 06:12 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks, this is the stuff I wanted to hear.  I knew I couldn't be that lucky to not fuck up something somehow :p

question: after converting the SGFC will the next flush come out better, or is it a bit irreversible at this point?

If this is your first attempt you've done better than probably 99% of first grows in not getting infected and producing a block of green mold..:thumbup:

For PF Tek once you have finished the first flush you'll need to soak your cakes again, completely submerged, to re-hydrate them. I used t put mine in a bowl with a weight over them to hold it down and then put in the fridge for a day or so, then back into the chamber. You might get 3 or 4 flushes before mould sets in doing that

OfflineBLINKfan420
Jedi
I'm a teapot

#25478728 - 09/21/18 06:12 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Oh.. and this is a broken veil and an intact veil..

Harvest as the veil breaks away or as soon as possible afterwards.

BLiNK

--------------------

OfflineBLINKfan420
Jedi
I'm a teapot

#25478750 - 09/21/18 06:16 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

This is all good info man, thanks.  I made an edit earlier but I imagine you didnt see it; but will the second flush go better after converting the SGFC?  Or is it the mycelium itself that's deprived of o2 at this point?

The second flush could potentially be better since your fruiting conditions will be better.  But the cakes has already put out its first flush and second and third flushes seem to have less fruits but bigger in size.

Either way a proper SGFC will be an improvement over a hybrid pump set up.

BLiNK

Edited by BLINKfan420 (09/21/18 06:18 PM)

Offlinetravisscott
Stranger
    #25478846 - 09/21/18 06:42 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks again my dudes.  I just went out and got a 1/4" drill bit and am about to go to town :rocket:

InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void

#25478897 - 09/21/18 06:58 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Great work! Just make sure you don't press too hard with the drill, else you'll end up with cracks rather than holes:thumbup: I seem to remember I drilled mine from the inside where I could, so I could have it rest on some wood underneath and reduce the pressure on the plastic

Offlinetravisscott
Stranger
    #25484087 - 09/23/18 09:31 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Just checking in to say I harvested 'em today (they actually perked up really nicely literally the night after I switched to SGFC) and ended up with about 25g dry from the first flush.  Not complaining considering I think I fucked up really bad - I noticed when I went to convert to SGFC that the hose from the air pump had fallen out, and I have no idea how long it'd been like that, so there was probably very, very, very little FAE going on :thumbdown:

Hoping it didn't do anything irreversible for the 2nd/3rd flushes, but I've got the cakes dunkin' right now

InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void

#25484424 - 09/24/18 04:26 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Nice work...25g of shrooms you didn't have before:cool:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck