Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest Flag
step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please
    #25470470 - 09/18/18 04:53 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Hello Shroomery,

I am a somewhat of a new member.  I recently completed my first grow.  I was very successful by own definition.

I have been reluctant to ask for help.  I am of the mindset that research and perseverance is a far better plan than pestering the forum with redundant questions.  That being said, I believe that I now grasp the basic concepts.  I have every intention of progressing to agar and bulk but first I want to become proficient with cake and the SGFC.  Baby steps.

Now, before my next grow I am asking for guidance.  When I started this adventure things were a bit rocky.  I picked the wrong room to grow in.  I had too much visitor traffic, too risky.  I had the SGFC too close to the wall, not enough FAE.  I had other minor issues.  Immediately I relocated to the basement.

This created new issues, humidity.  I have refused to use a hygrometer although I did put one outside the SGFC long enough to learn my new spot has around 95% humidity outside the chamber.  Accuracy?  Who knows.  My first pins were all coming from beneath the cakes.  I trimmed back the foils, things got better.  As I struggled to improve things I turned my first cakes on their sides to allow things to progress. This is one from the first flush.

This one was stood on its edge.

Things just weren't getting like I wanted.  I soon resorted to opening a window.  First I opened the window nearest to the SGFC, the one beside it in the basement picture.  Things got better.  Next I opened the window behind the SGFC, the one furthest away.  Things got better.  I still felt like I lacked FAE.  My project was in a out of the way area with no traffic although my temperature was ideal.  Against advice from my research I turned a fan on in the direction of my shrooms except it was around the corner.  This is where the fan is.  The washer and dryer is where I stood for the other basement picture.

With the fan on and windows open I feel like things were much more in tune with what was needed to achieve success.  See first pic. Cute isn't she?  One other issue that I struggled with was holes in the caps on some fruits, not all.  This too is a humidity issue I believe.

My SGFC is to spec and up in the air.

I believe that I need to increase my FAE, GREATLY.  Once winter gets here the basement windows need to be closed.

1.  I contemplate drilling out my holes to 3/8" or every other hole at least, first. 
2.  After I finished I tore everything down to improve my situation for the next go around.  I question if I have too much perlite.  After 3 weeks of airing out on a tarp (I went on vacation), the stuff is still wet.

Please give me your opinions.  Should I cut back on the perlite first?  Should I enlarge the SGFC holes? Or am I not even heading in the right direction?

OH YEAH!  I thank all of you so much for your patience and your advice.

--------------------
Good help is hard to find.
I shit you not.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJimAndGiantShrooms
The Voyager

Re: step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please [Re: ANJ245]
    #25470777 - 09/18/18 06:30 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah man, the cake(s) in the first picture are killer!

I think that amount of perlite is probably fine. I'm not sure if it matters all too much. I honestly wouldn't bother enlarging the holes either; that's a lot of work.

I'd definitely say you are successful, and more then that you learned the conditions required for you and your space. :cool::thumbup:

IMO, if you feel the need to make "another step" I'd looking into shoeboxes. They are a good intro to bulk/agar since you can isolate each jar.

If you like cakes and want to experiment a bit you could try some other fruiting chambers. Like:

Mateah's "Humidity Chamber Tek for fruiting BRF cakes"

Ziran's "Monotub-SGFC Hybrid by Psilosoulful"

:goodluck:

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #25470779 - 09/18/18 06:30 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

If you're looking to up your game, don't make larger sgfc or use more perlite.

Go bulk:thumbup:

OfflineDrMushroom
Human Farmer
I'm a teapot

Loc: Australia
    #25470787 - 09/18/18 06:34 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

bigger sgfc works better.
also, if it only pins under the cakes id take that as an indication your humidity is either too low or, it fluctuates too hard, meaning as it changes throughout the day as it will, it gets too low and dries the top of the cakes out.

looking at the fruits you have more than enough FAE, i am noticing though your only pouring verm on your cakes not rolling them.

tell me, what kind of lighting are you using? natural or artificial (a light of sorts rather than just natural sunlight)
what temp (K) is it, what type, what wattage and how far is it from the SGFC, i wanna check if you are maybe baking your cakes with a strong light, people often mistakenly get a way too strong light and/or put it too close which causes excessive drying.

All in all though your grows look awsome.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please [Re: DrMushroom]
    #25472370 - 09/19/18 09:40 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think you need any advice, honestly. You're doing great. Use a fan if you must. Crack the FC lid, do whatever you need to. They'll tell you if they like it or not. Opening the windows isn't helping as much as you think. Your fan shouldn't point straight at your FC. Point it directly away from it and let it just circulate air in the room.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please [Re: JimAndGiantShrooms]
    #25473107 - 09/19/18 04:01 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you for the words of encouragement JimAndGiantShrooms.  I questioned the perlite quantity because of the level of humidity in the basement.  Nothing in the fruiting chamber ever really dried out.  I believe that I will shop around for a dehumidifier.

I do anticipate moving to agar and shoeboxes after my second or third grow.  I am in no rush.  I am just producing enough for me, my spouse and whomever that I wish to give some to as a gift.

Thanks for the links

--------------------
I shit you not.

Edited by ANJ245 (09/19/18 04:10 PM)

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please [Re: mushboy]
    #25473124 - 09/19/18 04:08 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Mushboy

I recognize your name and have admired your pics.  I contribute my success so far to many.  You are one that I have read from more than "just by chance."

Thank you for you guidance.

--------------------
I shit you not.

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please [Re: DrMushroom]
    #25473209 - 09/19/18 04:51 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for your critique DrMushroom

My SGFC is 58 quart I believe.  It will remain the same as it will probably be gifted to someone else to begin their own hobby.  I will move up to bulk probably shoeboxes eventually.

I do roll in verm although mycelium soon covers it.

I am using two 4' fluorescent daylight bulbs 6500K.  It hangs about 30" above the SGFC.  A thermometer on top of my tote registers 75 degrees.

Thank you for your suggestions

--------------------
I shit you not.

Edited by ANJ245 (09/19/18 04:51 PM)

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #25473223 - 09/19/18 04:59 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks 36fuckin5. I am flattered.

The fans current must go around a corner but does provide a little help.

May I ask about the hole in the cap issues?  Upon drying the cap definitely has a hole although I don't have any dried pics.

--------------------
I shit you not.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
    #25473346 - 09/19/18 05:53 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I've see holes in caps before and it hasn't been a problem. I think it could be an indication of bacteria but I may be wrong.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
    #25473384 - 09/19/18 06:16 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Bomb ass cakes bro... I find bulk to be MUCH easier to maintain conditions, and agar? THAT'S THE EASIEST PART! IMO/E, you're growing in the most difficult fashion... maybe there was a time, but bulk has become so streamline and efficient with up to date practices...
Can you imagine, one giant cake, that you don't have to fuck with? No need to mist before first flush harvest, and once every 2-3 days after?  That's bulk... cakes are much easier in humidity chambers  , but I'd say you nailed the SGFC, and are a natural! I WANT TO SEE YOU DO SOME TUBS BITCH! LOL welcome aboard!

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25473388 - 09/19/18 06:17 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

(Idk why i called you a bitch just now, not my character, and you seem pretty cool from your posts)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25473542 - 09/19/18 07:17 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Not a problem in the least. I am enamoured with the new hobby.  I last tripped in the very early 80's. 

Early this year I was treated once again by the dude who introduced me to shrooms in high school.  We rekindled our friendship after losing contact with each other years ago.  Since we have kept in close contact.

I stashed a few grams at home then left on vacation to visit him.  Need I mention what we did for vacation?  I gave my friend all that remained as a gift.  Now I am back home ramping up for round 2. 

I have a good life with good friends.

--------------------
I shit you not.

Edited by ANJ245 (09/19/18 07:18 PM)

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25473657 - 09/19/18 07:55 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

That's great man... you just inherited quite a few more with this community... we (most of us) are passionate mycologist/hobbyists who are dedicated to the group... LOL, I was born last time you did shrooms (before the last time you did shrooms; early 80's) cool to see you're still in the spirit of exploration... is it strictly recreation you seek?(nothing wrong with that, just curious)

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25473850 - 09/19/18 09:05 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Yes we are grandparents.  I have a good job. My spouse owns their own business.  We vacation about five weeks out of the year.  We are so lucky and blessed more than we deserve.

This is purely a hobby.  Any bulk greater than a shoebox is only a recipe for me to do something stupid. 

On round 1 I gave away dozens of grams and had four or five mind blowing trips.

Did I say life is good?  It surely is.

--------------------
I shit you not.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25473943 - 09/19/18 09:42 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

It is... I eat LOADS lol... went on a 100g excursion this last friday and saturdaSaturday... that was a trip... I'm searching for answers though... funny thing, I'm not even sure what to ask anymore? Until I'm there... seems I can only grasp even the question  if I'm in that deep state of expanded consciousness, it's ineffable! I Think I'm just trying to figure out a way to express it to the world: share the depth of connection we all share (along with EVERYTHING else) that I've come to know working with these tools...

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25473969 - 09/19/18 09:55 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I can't wait till I retire.  I'm gonna be a mess.  Or at least that is my plan.

--------------------
I shit you not.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25473995 - 09/19/18 10:04 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I'm a mess now, just WAIT till I retire... though I've a feeling there'll be a period when I (have to) slow down a bit

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25474123 - 09/19/18 11:20 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I am contemplating stockpiling enough mushrooms so when I retire I can sit around and nibble the rest of my life.

--------------------
I shit you not.

InvisibleNimph
Im Unclecaptainblue!!!!

Loc: The dirty
    #25474196 - 09/20/18 12:36 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Et least grow some medicinals :sonofawebitch:  you can clearly give those creatures a good home.

--------------------
Hunters save your exotic prints to trade! https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25617539:shroomeryhead:

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please [Re: Nimph]
    #25474556 - 09/20/18 06:32 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Cubensis ARE medicinal for many of us

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25475054 - 09/20/18 11:13 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

OP, check your :pm: if you haven't

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: step one: Succeed step two: Optimize Guidance Please [Re: Nimph]
    #25476213 - 09/20/18 06:59 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Nimph

My mind hasn't thought that far ahead yet.  I have entertained the idea of growing other fungus just to feed my amusement.

What options are out there?

After watching a clip from a movie the idea of growing something on the bark of my huge oak trees seems intriguing.  I just haven't looked into the possibilities yet.  This adventure is only about four months old.

--------------------
I shit you not.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25476255 - 09/20/18 07:16 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Chicken of the woods grows on dead oak i believe... probably hericium, oysters perhaps

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25476264 - 09/20/18 07:20 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks

I will look into it.  I ordered a "Fungi Perfecti" catalog. 

I am a well known procrastinator.  It may never get done.

I have come to terms with my sloth.

--------------------
I shit you not.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25476274 - 09/20/18 07:23 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Lol, me too... only recently though

InvisibleNimph
Im Unclecaptainblue!!!!

Loc: The dirty
    #25476291 - 09/20/18 07:31 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Oysters are stupid easy an can be used as a meat sub in dishes and are good for you, alot of the "medicals" are very healthy even oysters carry some anti cancer properties from what ive read.

You can make logs for a long term project since you've already set roots.

--------------------
Hunters save your exotic prints to trade! https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25617539:shroomeryhead:

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
    #25476520 - 09/20/18 09:05 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ANJ245 said:
I am contemplating stockpiling enough mushrooms so when I retire I can sit around and nibble the rest of my life.

You definitely want to do bulk then. IDK what your goal is (remember tolerance goes up QUICK) but you can get 65ish doses out of a single tub. And with results like yours just reading and doing cakes mostly on your own, you could do bulk no problem. IME, bulk is much easier, especially with the way we're doing shit now. Check out the links in my sig.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

OfflineANJ245
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25476890 - 09/21/18 01:09 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Owww, ow, ow, You are twisting my arm! That does it, my learning curve is starting to curve a new direction. 

I have about eight cakes three days into full colonization.  In the morning I will dig around the house to see what I have available.  I do have several shoe boxes with odds and ends in them.  That's a start. 

I sure am glad that this is a slow night at work.  Nose to the grindstone.

Thanks for the push.

--------------------
I shit you not.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate