Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineProfessorBooty
Stranger
2 weeks no pins ...getting worried
    #2547024 - 04/10/04 09:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I know this guy who was growing some shrooms.
It was like his 4th time and he's had pretty good luck so far basically using the PF(BRF)TEK and double ended casing with the cakes.

This time however he got spores (GT's) from a different vendor but these spores colonized at an astonishingly fast rate.

9 out of 12 cakes were 100% colonized in about 12 days using a black rubbermaid growing chamber with a thermostated seedling heatpad set at 86 degrees and a jar of water inside to keep from over drying inside.

I guess he let this apparent success go to his head or got impatient and he birthed them at the 12 day mark in a clear rubbermaid container that averaged between 69 and 71 degrees and the remaining 3 jars followed 4 days later.

Humity is good in the chamber with perlite and double ended casing at 71 degrees and the cakes look healthy and white and even got all knotted up as they usually would in the past but over 2 weeks have gone by and still no sign of a single pin on any of them.

As i said this guy is not exactly a novice and has even grown GT's before but this time seems to be taking unusually long to pin for a strain that was quick enough to colonize 9 jars in 12 days

.....Do you think he took them out and birthed them too quick???
....and if so will the cakes eventually recover if given enough time or are they sterile now???
.......or worse yet perhaps they were bad spores???the vendor's been around for a while and seems reputable but he's never tried them from them before.
Any insight would be much appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWormsy
Stranger
Re: 2 weeks no pins ...getting worried [Re: ProfessorBooty]
    #2547122 - 04/10/04 10:11 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

sounds like healthy cakes, pinning could be strain, lighting, air exchange.

hold those healthy cakes and look at some casing teks on the shroomery.

Anonymous

Re: 2 weeks no pins ...getting worried [Re: Wormsy]
    #2547357 - 04/10/04 11:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

sneak in an air pump. one hose only. an elite 801 will do ya well. air exchange is key. otherwise keep fanning. you should get shroooms. do what he said and keep the healthy cakes, with the right air exchange and humidity, you really can't go wrong.

Anonymous

Re: 2 weeks no pins ...getting worried [Re: ]
    #2547362 - 04/11/04 12:00 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

oh yeah. if you're doing cakes, usually best to let them pin and form primordial (sp?) growth before birthing. really makes a difference in the first flush i've found.

InvisibleWormsy
Stranger
    #2547480 - 04/11/04 12:31 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

good info  :thumbup:

Anonymous

Re: 2 weeks no pins ...getting worried [Re: Wormsy]
    #2547510 - 04/11/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

thanks wormsy. i'm trying

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2547553 - 04/11/04 12:56 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

sounds like everything is as it should be. sometimes it is hard to be patient and not get too worried. You should have some shroom-babies any day now!!
You didnt mention the humidity in the chamber..should be hovering in the mid 90's to keep em happy.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2548257 - 04/11/04 09:03 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

mist then fan,the cold shock from the mist and fanning helps heaps

OfflineProfessorBooty
Stranger
    #2548656 - 04/11/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well ok thanks for the vote of confidence.

The cakes are definitely healthy.

They are nice and white and knotted with no signs of dehydration or contamination.

He doesn't have a way to check humidity but the growth chamber is air tight with a layer of about an inch of perlite on the bottom and there is always condensation on the sides and top.

Was fanning only once a day and not really misting but now will switch to fanning twice a day (once in the morning and once at night) along with adding misting to the regular routine with distilled water.

Since this promblem has never occurred before and since he isn't too familar with the effects of light and darkness on mycelium the concern was that perhaps birthing them so quickly might have caused some permanant damage causing the cakes to become sterile and unable to produce fruit.

If anyone else has had a similar situation where they've experienced a longer then usual amount of time between birthing and pinning i'd love to hear about it.

Anonymous

#2548802 - 04/11/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

cool,there's a tek here somewhere thats says when you mist do it from about 5 ft above,i give about 3 or 4 squirts let it drift down for a sec then fan it,i fan no less than 3 times a day and whenever i think about it.
happy shroomin!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation