Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisiblejohnB`
Mountaineer
Loc: The Rocky Mountains
The Art of Dreaming
    #2546215 - 04/10/04 08:54 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Anyone read any of Carlos Castenada's works? I just finished The Art of Dreaming and now I'm about to head to the store to see what else of his they have. Any suggestions from those familiar with him?

--------------------
The greatest form has no shape.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKackleDude
transmundaneother

Loc: Close to the Edge, Down b...
Re: The Art of Dreaming [Re: johnB`]
    #2546739 - 04/10/04 12:45 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, go out and read every one of Don Juan Matus' teachings you can find. Each one has great knowledge in it. When you finish all of the Castaneda books, go back and read them again. I'm reading the Eagle's Gift at the moment, It's a good one.
The Art of Dreaming and The Power of Silence were the best I've read. Also the Teachings of Don Juan, the first Carlos book, sort of starts you off in the series nicely, it gives you a foundation for Carlos & Don Juan's relationship.
As you progress through the books you can watch as Carlos becomes more intelligent, it's strange. The first book is written fairly plainly, and in the later ones he becomes a much better writer as he progresses as a man of knowledge.
These are the type of books I want to give to half the people I know, but I hesitate because I want to re-read them over and over. I still spread them though, figure they'll come back around eventually.
I found that if I read Castaneda before going to sleep nightly, it improves my dream recall greatly. Reading about their dreaming and thinking about dreaming before actually dreaming is powerful.
Enjoy em

(woo! 420th post)

--------------------
yeeeahh, it's gonna be well wicked

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Lucid Dream reference in Castaneda [Re: johnB`]
    #2546977 - 04/10/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

in Castaneda's wonderful 'Journey to Ixtlan' he is taught how to lucid dream, when the hand focus is imparted:

i learnt about lucid dream induction from books by Stephen LaBerge (for example 'Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming'), though i've never properly committed myself to a prolonged period of study. i had a dream journal, some tapes even. some day i'll try again - i had a few gooduns!  :laugh:

for example, here is a quick reality test -
focus on xxxxxxx for a few seconds. look away and focus on something else. now focus again on xxxxxx for a few seconds. if all looks the same the second time as the first, you are awake and so not dreaming. the xxxxxx can be a piece of paper with writing on it, or it can be ..... your own hands.

do this often throughout the day for several days, until you do it regularly. this may be difficult unless you give yourself a few days holiday from work - the idea is you become accustomed to doing this, feeling foolish because it's always the same.
maybe you'll have to learn to associate doing a quick reality test with something else you do naturally, like eating. i forget the tricks to make it a regular thing you do.

anyway, one of these days you'll do it while asleep, dreaming, and suddenly you'll find that the writing (or your hands) are slightly different the second time.
ta - da!
you realise that you are awake in your dream, and probably wake yourself up with the shock of it.

lots of practice needed to fully reap the benefits of lucid dreaming: create and control your dreams, confront fears, fly, practice a musical instrument....

:grin:definitely read all the Carlos Castaneda you can find  :thumbup:

--------------------
buh

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: Lucid Dream reference in Castaneda [Re: shirley knott]
    #2557977 - 04/14/04 03:24 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I read The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge and it was incredibly interesting. I'll have to continue the series myself.

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

InvisibleKackleDude
transmundaneother

Loc: Close to the Edge, Down b...
Re: Lucid Dream reference in Castaneda [Re: SlapnutRob]
    #2559442 - 04/14/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

They only get more intruiging

--------------------
yeeeahh, it's gonna be well wicked

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order