Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineObsidian
The lone deranger
 User Gallery

Why should I aim for rhizomorphic myc? * 1
    #25466394 - 09/17/18 05:42 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I've been playing with agar for some time and have been quite successful in getting nice clean cultures even from contaminated plates. However I just don't get any rhizomorphic mycelium and I'm sort of frustrated with that. It's all nice and fuzzy, milky white tomentose growth, but never any rhizomorphic groth.

So I was wondering - should even I be obsessing myself with rhizo or just go along with what I have?

Further, I'd like to know what is the advantage of rhizomorphic mycelium, and could there possibly be any benefits to tomentose growth (it seems to me like it is more evenly spread across the surface of the substrate and thus possibly does a better job in metabolizing it)?

What doth thee sayeth mine own valorous folks?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTookitooki
Mycological Fabricator
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere Flag
Re: Why should I aim for rhizomorphic myc? [Re: Obsidian]
    #25466497 - 09/17/18 07:09 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Give us details of your agar media.  Nutrient composition and amounts play a role in growth appearance.    Got any pictures?

Offlineteladi
FUNKSOULBROTHER

Loc: South Africa Flag
Re: Why should I aim for rhizomorphic myc? [Re: Tookitooki]
    #25466634 - 09/17/18 08:40 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Nope. Rhizo growth makes for nice photos. Some tend to exhibit rhizo, others tormentose growth. The key is in learning to identify and deal with contamination of all kinds. Don't stress how your guys are growing, only that they are healthy, happy fungi.

--------------------

Edited by teladi (09/17/18 08:42 AM)

OfflineManifoldPrime
Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'm a teapot

Loc: South Africa Flag
Re: Why should I aim for rhizomorphic myc? [Re: teladi]
    #25466753 - 09/17/18 09:39 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I like ropey cultures because to me thats a few extra confirmations: I am indeed looking at cube myc and not a contaminate like oyster(its happened) or mold, The sectoring is more obvious IMO,and rhizomorphs are usually faster IMO. I like the look of them, and I've seen rhizos bridge gaps in substrate/grain.

Do lots of germ plates from your prints, isolate the ropier colonies, and isolate. I tend to prioritize ropey myc and now I have lots of different variants with selected-for rhizomorphs.

PESA and Thai var. makes some nice ropes, from personal exp. and observation. You can get it from most any var. with a good genetics roll and a bit of transferring.

--------------------
My Magnum Opus:Thai Variety Comparison

Please correct me if I say something wrong!

| Current Trade Print Availability:Some PESA and RW available for South African posters. Snail Mail only. |

OfflineObsidian
The lone deranger
 User Gallery

#25467067 - 09/17/18 12:23 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I am using pure BRF/agar.

Here's a photo of one typical culture of mine (sorry for the potato quality of my phone camera).

This one is long overdue because it was actually contaminated with trich but I used it to isolate clean culture (cut-spots are somewhat visible). As you can see it eventually won against molds. Now I'm keeping it to see if will contaminate (I am exposing it to open air daily).

Apart from the fact that I can't get rhizo growth I am actually very happy with my culture,  it tends to eat right through ANY contamination (wet-spots, green, black molds) I've never seen anything like that. And it comes from 10+ year old spores that I almost left for dead.

Yeah, I guess my boys are ok after all.

InvisibleTookitooki
Mycological Fabricator
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere Flag
Re: Why should I aim for rhizomorphic myc? [Re: Obsidian]
    #25467485 - 09/17/18 03:19 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Take the same culture and see how it reacts on a different nutrient agar.  Or cut your nutes in half and see how it reacts.

InvisibleJohnny.rotten
Traveller
 User Gallery

#25467811 - 09/17/18 05:44 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tookitooki said:
Take the same culture and see how it reacts on a different nutrient agar.  Or cut your nutes in half and see how it reacts.

:whathesaid:
As soon as i cut down the nutrients in my agar, my next transfer was rhizo.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale