Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethegiftedchild
connector of things

Loc: Yes.
Side (King)Pinning! Advice appreciated!
    #25466380 - 09/17/18 05:30 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Hey all!

I hope all is going well. So my first 5 fruiting tubs are side pinning like bosses. I understand why and am going to work on dialing in conditions moving forward. However, I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be a good idea to take these subs out of their shoeboxes and put them side by side in a mono. I have some 56QT monos that I could lay them in and let those side pins run free. If you do think its a good idea, should I put field capacity coir on the bottom and lay them on foil like a PF cake? Should I just leave em? Here is the glory:

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Gone, gone, gone to the other shore beyond.

Here to learn, have fun, and help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTookitooki
Mycological Fabricator
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere Flag
Re: Side (King)Pinning! Advice appreciated! [Re: thegiftedchild]
    #25466500 - 09/17/18 07:15 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

It's all up to you.  There's nothing wrong with pulling them out and putting in a mono.  I have a culture that's prone to side and bottom pinning.  I just flipped the sub in the shoebox, and let them grow out. 

I wouldn't put any coir in there.

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

Re: Side (King)Pinning! Advice appreciated! [Re: Tookitooki] * 1
    #25466505 - 09/17/18 07:18 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Side pinning can be a sign that surface conditions are not optimal.

--------------------
"That you are hereβ€”that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

Offlinethegiftedchild
connector of things

Loc: Yes.
Re: Side (King)Pinning! Advice appreciated! [Re: Tookitooki]
    #25468174 - 09/17/18 07:58 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks dude, I put em into monos sans anything! I appreciate your feedback!

--------------------
Gone, gone, gone to the other shore beyond.

Here to learn, have fun, and help!

InvisibleTookitooki
Mycological Fabricator
 User Gallery

Re: Side (King)Pinning! Advice appreciated! [Re: thegiftedchild]
    #25468219 - 09/17/18 08:15 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

All I ask is you keep updating things.  Took me a while to learn to read my subs.  I used to run 4.5qts of water in my cvg, and someone suggested I add a extra half quart, turned my results around.  The seasonal changes also cause havoc on my surface conditions.  Winter are dry and Summers are humid.  So I have to adjust accordingly with fans and humidifiers. Now I have a better feel in judging what my subs want.  Takes time to gain experience.  You'll get there.

InvisibleTheAtlanteanS
Forever Grateful

Loc: Milkyway Galaxy, Laniakea Supe...
    #25468236 - 09/17/18 08:20 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tookitooki said:
All I ask is you keep updating things.  Took me a while to learn to read my subs.  I used to run 4.5qts of water in my cvg, and someone suggested I add a extra half quart, turned my results around.  The seasonal changes also cause havoc on my surface conditions.  Winter are dry and Summers are humid.  So I have to adjust accordingly with fans and humidifiers. Now I have a better feel in judging what my subs want.  Takes time to gain experience.  You'll get there.

I have been tuning into this lately, and it seems to be working out. I am doing 5ish quarts of water in my cvg and soaking my grains. Doesn't push the substrate above field capacity but adds that little extra moisture and helps recovery from what I have seen.

--------------------

Meditation is passive learning. Tabernacling with the one infinite Creator is passive learning. It is the learning from listening to the voice one cannot hear which answers questions which one cannot ask. The process cannot be known and cannot come into consciousness in local sense, yet the learning is there. And the strength of spirit and will which comes from this learning is helpful.

:egyptian:www.templeofhermes.org:egyptian:

InvisibleTookitooki
Mycological Fabricator
 User Gallery

Re: Side (King)Pinning! Advice appreciated! [Re: TheAtlantean]
    #25468255 - 09/17/18 08:26 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Be careful soaking grains.  I used to do it as well, but wasnt seeing any result change.  Some believe it just adds another contam vector. 

If you haven't, I suggest reading thru this whole thread, https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23999053/page/1 lots of great info that will help you dial things in.

InvisibleTheAtlanteanS
Forever Grateful

Loc: Milkyway Galaxy, Laniakea Supe...
    #25468299 - 09/17/18 08:45 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tookitooki said:
Be careful soaking grains.  I used to do it as well, but wasnt seeing any result change.  Some believe it just adds another contam vector. 

If you haven't, I suggest reading thru this whole thread, https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23999053/page/1 lots of great info that will help you dial things in.

I have considered this. And will read through the thread entirely. However with fully colonized grain and substrate, it shouldn't be an issue. From what I have seen and researched throughout is that it helps recovery time. We are testing this currently. The LadySas and I...

Running tubs side by side.

--------------------

Meditation is passive learning. Tabernacling with the one infinite Creator is passive learning. It is the learning from listening to the voice one cannot hear which answers questions which one cannot ask. The process cannot be known and cannot come into consciousness in local sense, yet the learning is there. And the strength of spirit and will which comes from this learning is helpful.

:egyptian:www.templeofhermes.org:egyptian:

Edited by TheAtlantean (09/17/18 08:46 PM)

InvisibleTookitooki
Mycological Fabricator
 User Gallery

Re: Side (King)Pinning! Advice appreciated! [Re: TheAtlantean]
    #25469160 - 09/18/18 07:53 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Please document.  I like to use my journal, and then when your research is complete or close to completion, have an admin move it to the fourms.  So others can easily find the thread with the search.  I never ran side by side. I hit a bad contam wall, so that's why I cut it out along with other changes.  since I've overcome my contams,  I haven't tried soaking grains again.

Will be interesting to see the results.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
    #25470059 - 09/18/18 01:53 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tookitooki said:
  Some believe it just adds another contam vector. 

This is an absolute fact whether it's "beneficial" or not... if you suspect your grain too dry, mix bulk substrate slightly over field capacity, and work on proper grain prep

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate