Home | Community | Message Board

BarneysFarm.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Amazon Agar, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLaboratoryrat
Mr.

Loc: Northeast
Who wants to play - name that plate contamination!
    #25459127 - 09/14/18 08:51 AM (2 months, 3 days ago)

So every plate of PE I try and transfer seems to get this contamination. I checked my uninoculated plates and BAM a plate covered with the same crap I have been seeing in my PE plates. Oddly it did not spread to the other plates in the bag but it did creep out the sides of the plate.

--------------------
[Research Use Only]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescarabaeus
Stranger

Re: Who wants to play - name that plate contamination! [Re: Laboratoryrat]
    #25459214 - 09/14/18 09:44 AM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Cobweb mold, (dactylium). If found on agar, it almost certainly came from the air.

OfflineLaboratoryrat
Mr.

Re: Who wants to play - name that plate contamination! [Re: scarabaeus]
    #25459726 - 09/14/18 02:22 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

I'm not sure about the life cycle. I have had cobweb grow up there and it was fluffy with mycelial filaments growing every which way. This seems to be a matted mycelium but it may have to do with being sealed in a bag and no air. I am assuming no spores to worry about when it is matted instead of cottony?

--------------------
[Research Use Only]

Offlinescarabaeus
Stranger

#25460083 - 09/14/18 05:27 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Pictures are deceiving. You are correct that cobweb mold is aerial. If what you have there is matted, the only other contam that comes to mind is Monila (white flour mold). There are two forms that I know of. 1- the white form, but it is (usually?) powdery in appearance and common on agar. What I see from your pic doesn't look like this. 2- the other form is a Neurospora. Eventually, it attains a pinkish hue from spore production, however it is usually aerial in it's growth. Both forms are rapid growing.

Getting a positive ID on some of these molds can be tricky because the Class they are put in (scientifically speaking) run into each other. For example, Monila is in the class Fungi Imperfecti, while the Neurosporas are put in the class of Ascomycetes. How can this be? It depends on how the organism mutates -the asexual form is Monila, the sexual form is Neurospora. To complicate things further, the appearance of the organism is often determined by the nutritional content of the medium it is growing on, as well as the PH.  It is easy to get into deep waters PDQ while exploring this stuff. Hope this helps, if not maybe it will at least give you something to think about lol. Peace

OfflineLaboratoryrat
Mr.

Re: Who wants to play - name that plate contamination! [Re: scarabaeus]
    #25460172 - 09/14/18 06:12 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Quote:

scarabaeus said:
Pictures are deceiving. You are correct that cobweb mold is aerial. If what you have there is matted, the only other contam that comes to mind is Monila (white flour mold). There are two forms that I know of. 1- the white form, but it is (usually?) powdery in appearance and common on agar. What I see from your pic doesn't look like this. 2- the other form is a Neurospora. Eventually, it attains a pinkish hue from spore production, however it is usually aerial in it's growth. Both forms are rapid growing.

Getting a positive ID on some of these molds can be tricky because the Class they are put in (scientifically speaking) run into each other. For example, Monila is in the class Fungi Imperfecti, while the Neurosporas are put in the class of Ascomycetes. How can this be? It depends on how the organism mutates -the asexual form is Monila, the sexual form is Neurospora. To complicate things further, the appearance of the organism is often determined by the nutritional content of the medium it is growing on, as well as the PH.  It is easy to get into deep waters PDQ while exploring this stuff. Hope this helps, if not maybe it will at least give you something to think about lol. Peace

Wow. Lots of good information here. Thank you for responding. Hopefully I can eventually get some clean PE transfers. Now I am thinking it may be best to start from scratch for these plates.

--------------------
[Research Use Only]

Offlinescarabaeus
Stranger

#25460870 - 09/14/18 10:47 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Glad I could help. Good luck with the PE.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Amazon Agar, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum