Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Medical Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineQuirkmeister92
Street Doctor

Loc: Grateful Dead USA
CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States.
    #25458157 - 09/13/18 09:02 PM (2 months, 6 days ago)

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/09/13/canada-weed-pot-border-783260

Canadians who work in the marijuana industry — and those who invest in the booming pot sector — risk a lifetime ban on travel to the U.S., according to a senior official overseeing U.S border operations.

As Canada prepares to become the world’s only major industrialized nation to legalize retail marijuana sales starting Oct. 17, the Canadian cannabis sector is projected to generate billions of dollars of revenue in coming years and Canadians have flocked to take jobs and buy stocks in the burgeoning industry. But the move has potential to disrupt border crossings between the U.S. and Canada for travelers who run afoul of American drug laws, even if their activities are legal in Canada.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency will continue to apply long-standing U.S. federal laws and regulations that treat marijuana as a banned substance — and participants in the cannabis industry as drug traffickers — who are inadmissible into the U.S. Although some U.S. states have eased marijuana laws, the U.S. continues to maintain a federal prohibition that applies at the border, said Todd Owen, executive assistant commissioner for the Office of Field Operations, who gave POLITICO a detailed preview of how CBP will apply longstanding rules.

Here’s exactly how it would work at the border: CBP officials are not planning to go out of their way to interrogate every Canadian traveler about marijuana use. However, other factors may cause them to raise the topic.

“Our officers are not going to be asking everyone whether they have used marijuana, but if other questions lead there — or if there is a smell coming from the car, they might ask,” Owen said. Likewise, marijuana residue, which can linger for weeks inside a car, could be detected by CBP inspection dogs and lead to further questioning, he noted. If asked about past drug use, travelers should not lie, he said. “If you lie about it, that’s fraud and misrepresentation, which carries a lifetime ban,” Owen said.

If a traveler admits to past use of any illegal drugs, including marijuana, the traveler will be found to be inadmissible into the United States. CBP typically will allow them the opportunity to “voluntary withdraw” from the border — or face an “expedited removal.” Whether or not the traveler enters the U.S., a record will be kept by CBP and that traveler will not be allowed to return to the U.S. The traveler will have the opportunity to apply for a waiver from a lifetime ban, which costs U.S. $585 and requires several months to process. The waivers are issued at the discretion of CBP.

CBP agents commonly ask travelers what they do for a living. Canadians who work in the marijuana industry will not be permitted to enter the U.S. “If you work for the industry, that is grounds for inadmissibility,” Owen said.

Likewise, investors in marijuana companies are considered inadmissible. “We don’t recognize that as a legal business,” Owen said. Already, marijuana investors from other countries, such as Israel, have been denied entry into the U.S., he noted. CBP did not specify any minimum level of investment that could trigger a ban.

“Facilitating the proliferation of the legal marijuana industry in U.S. states where it is deemed legal or Canada may affect an individual’s admissibility to the U.S.,” Owen said.

Marijuana use could be particularly risky for professionals whose livelihoods depend on trusted traveler programs such as NEXUS to enable frequent and fast crossings into the U.S., such as truck drivers or Canadian nurses who work in U.S. hospitals. CBP has been alerting trucking associations in Canada that drivers will lose their NEXUS privileges because of marijuana use.

The criteria for inadmissibility to the United States are laid out in Section 212 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. The statute lists criteria that make foreigners ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted into the U.S. These include anyone “who is determined to be a drug abuser or addict,” as well as anyone who “is or has been an illicit trafficker in any controlled substance,” or who has assisted in trafficking, or obtained financial benefit from the activity.

The possession of marijuana at the border will also remain illegal — even when crossing into a U.S. state with more liberal drug laws. A traveler found carrying marijuana at the border is subject to referral for prosecution by federal, state or local authorities. If authorities choose not to prosecute, the traveler will face a $5,000 penalty from CBP. First-time offenses are often mitigated to $500. According to Owen, “Mitigation, if any, is based on the totality of the circumstances.”

Canadians made more than 42 million same-day and overnight trips into the U.S. last year, according to Statistics Canada. Whether marijuana-related scrutiny will translate into longer wait times at border crossings remains to be seen. Owen said the marijuana legalization could lead to more frequent secondary inspections at ports of entry. “How much is unknown,” he said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFractalMind
"PUFF" the magic dragon
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: Quirkmeister92]
    #25458268 - 09/13/18 09:56 PM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Quote:

“Facilitating the proliferation of the legal marijuana industry in U.S. states where it is deemed legal or Canada may affect an individual’s admissibility to the U.S.,” Owen said.

Implying that if a Canadian has a legal reason to be a part of the legal recreational, medical, or research marijuana community, they shouldn't need to worry about this. This seems to

A) protect a new and eventually federally legal American marijuana industry from a Canadian monopoly (that has a head start because of Canadian vs us marijuana laws), while possibly still allowing Canadians to help or invest in U.S. industry.

And

B) prevent massive trafficking south of the border

FACILITATE:
transitive verb

: to make easier : help bring about facilitate growth

(Merriam Webster)

Edited by FractalMind (09/13/18 10:14 PM)

OfflineCoolwhip GA
Stranger
Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: FractalMind] * 1
    #25458593 - 09/14/18 12:12 AM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Um, no?

"Facilitating the proliferation of the legal marijuana industry in U.S....where it is deemed legal or Canada"

So it's pretty much banning Canadians from entering the US for participating in the LEGAL marijuana industry on EITHER side of the border.

Hell, the way it reads even just supporting NORML, or the lobbying effort to change laws regarding marijuana usage could be enough to deny entry. Without ever even laying eyes on any marijuana.

One could argue that even remaining neutral on the issue facilitates the proliferation of LEGAL medical marijuana. If taken to the extreme one could be denied entry for simply not being rabidly anti-marijuana. I know that isn't the plan, but I could EASILY see this policy used to deny entry to lawyers and activists working toward reform.

Edited by Coolwhip GA (09/14/18 12:22 AM)

OfflineQuirkmeister92
Street Doctor

Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: Coolwhip GA]
    #25459169 - 09/14/18 09:11 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Next they're going to issue arm bands to identify different groups of people...

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger

#25459484 - 09/14/18 12:04 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Wow good luck with that.  A completely unrealistic venture!

Unenforceable much like mj laws.  Doomed to failure.  Not reality based at all.

Just say you are in the maple syrup biz!

--------------------
Feeling mellow, like I put my balls in Jello.

Offlinegandalfe
Gandalfe
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: FractalMind]
    #25459621 - 09/14/18 01:13 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

As a weed smoking Canadian, I will proudly never go to the USA ever again.Fat stupid, under trained cops, and many of the worst politicians the world has ever seen, is a combination that leaves me home.Canada is a safe, laid back place where people don't tend to care what you do, as long as it doesn't screw with anyone else.We don't even bother your silly move stars, when they make movies here.Weed has been tolerated for decades and we have been buying cheap, high grade Cannabis products, online for years now, without prosecution.The war on drugs is a war on it's citizens.

OfflineQuirkmeister92
Street Doctor

Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: gandalfe]
    #25459637 - 09/14/18 01:25 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

I hear the Internet has gotten pretty high-speed too.

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
    #25460235 - 09/14/18 06:41 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Canada is just as bad,have a miss d on your record,no entry for u

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male

Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: 5150]
    #25460283 - 09/14/18 07:00 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Get stoned or go to the States? Stoned every time. Very small price to pay!

Cannabis users have never lied at any international boarder right? :evil: At least people will still know how it feels to be discriminated against when crossing the boarder, and be reminded that Canadians have more freedom then our America friends. At least for now? :goodluck:

Invisiblesh4d0ws
why do we fall, bruce?
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: 5150]
    #25460772 - 09/14/18 10:15 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

5150 said:
Canada is just as bad,have a miss d on your record,no entry for u

Lol. Smoke weed in the privacy of your own home away from any vehicles or roads and you're banned from USA for life.

In Canada, if you've gotten into a vehicle drunk and endangered the life of yourself and everyone else on the road, you're banned.

Surprisingly, one of these makes more sense than the other... :gd_icon:...

Edited by sh4d0ws (09/14/18 10:15 PM)

InvisibleJokeshopbeardM
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #25460863 - 09/14/18 10:46 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

LOL. This country is fucking retarded. I'm only laughing or else I'd cry.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #25461346 - 09/15/18 04:53 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Funny, because its really hard to get into canada from the US, to be a resident.

But this is pretty strange, i wonder why they ban travel just if youre involved in the legal MJ business? If its legal on both sides of the border, and your record is clean whats the issue? This isnt about having a criminal record or anything, is it maybe a way to keep canadian weed within the border and vice versa? That would be like using a shotgun to swat a fly

Are they afraid of traffic from one country to the other? Like Kid Cannabis?

Whats the difference if both countries have legal MJ/and many states that are grey areas are now getting ready for legalization. I think the US has finally reached the National tipping point

It also basically says if you take a medicine and are dependent on it, you cant get in ("an addict")
Wtf is what? Thought we recognized addiction as a health problem, not something punishable

Perhaps its just more ways to restrict entry, an excuse basically. Because its never been easy to move to canada. Otherwise i would already

Quote:

rider420 said:
Get stoned or go to the States? Stoned every time. Very small price to pay!

Cannabis users have never lied at any international boarder right? :evil: At least people will still know how it feels to be discriminated against when crossing the boarder, and be reminded that Canadians have more freedom then our America friends. At least for now? :goodluck:

Actually the way i interpret this, it limits your liberty as a Canadian. No one has true liberty, dont be fooled.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (09/15/18 05:16 AM)

Invisiblelessismore
Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: gandalfe]
    #25461524 - 09/15/18 08:56 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

gandalfe said:
As a weed smoking Canadian, I will proudly never go to the USA ever again.Fat stupid, under trained cops

Isn't that judging cops?

""7 Judge not, that ye be not judged. "2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.""

Matthew 7:1-2 KJV

Source:
I have the right opinion for myself j/k

You need His Righteousness (Jesus)

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger

Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: lessismore]
    #25461540 - 09/15/18 09:04 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Suppose the analytical mind is all about attachments.  It is itself an attachment/addiction.

But people really neeed to develop that.  We don't just take a giant step in evolution.  We don't just jump over huge parts of our nature.

--------------------
Feeling mellow, like I put my balls in Jello.

Invisiblelessismore
Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: Morel Guy]
    #25461562 - 09/15/18 09:24 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Daddy DJ - Daddy DJ

*Smoked too much, is indifferent*

Invisiblelessismore
    #25461598 - 09/15/18 09:49 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#25461686 - 09/15/18 10:29 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

I literally just cant figure this "policy" out. Its like a bad David Lynch movie. What the fuck is the actual purpose here?

And yes if you go to certain/many big cities, cops actually are mean, fat, etc. yelling all the time.

I remember getting back from bermuda where weed is super illegal but cops are really nice. You wouldnt even know theyre cops from demeanor and whatever. I had to really struggle to smoke safely there, but getting back, the first thing i noticed was the US cops were such assholes by comparison. And not for any reason, just immediately get an attitude, pissed af everything.

Of course there are exceptions :shrug: i hope

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineCoolwhip GA
Stranger
Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: Fractal420]
    #25461835 - 09/15/18 11:46 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
I literally just cant figure this "policy" out. Its like a bad David Lynch movie. What the fuck is the actual purpose here?

The "actual" purpose is punitive and partisan. It's to punish those whose views differ from their own, that is all. The justification for it is marijuana is still illegal on a federal level, and this policy would stop someone from entering who MIGHT be either a) trafficking or b) helping people break federal laws concerning the production of marijuana.

But if the justification was it's actual purpose it would be totally redundant and unnecessary...so it's obvious this is just ideological. And I am not joking or exaggerating when I say I could see this being used to punish activists or lawyers who have no direct ties to marijuana production.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: Coolwhip GA]
    #25462109 - 09/15/18 02:02 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Hm. But now on one side it is, to my understanding, federally legal. And this is the side that is legalizing. Now the thing is, i can see them adding to the rules of Canadian MJ sales: "PRODUCT LEGAL ONLY IN CANADA" etc. They can pass prison sentences when they catch someone trafficking a shitload of canadian cannabis into the US. (And shit, i cant wait for the canadian stuff to get here lol, but thats another story, ahem) but what i dont understand is that, what, if you buy canadian legal MJ, you can't visit the US anymore? Or stay for a while without losing citizenship? In other words, like you say, you are "punished" for using the Canadian MJ program?

What the fuck?

I mean, for some people, you wouldnt be able to see your family in NY or whatever. I dont get why this has to be an "immigration" thing. Explicitly just saying "if youre caught trafficking legal MJ, you will face penalties" seems like it would be more appropriate?

Maybe im misunderstanding, but if not, this was written by inspector closeau or something. And its a policy id expect from maybe the trump camp if somehow they rolled out national legalization. "Its legal, but if you use it, you forfeit your rights to travel"

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male

Re: CBP to deny Marijuana users entry into United States. [Re: Fractal420]
    #25462151 - 09/15/18 02:19 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
Actually the way i interpret this, it limits your liberty as a Canadian. No one has true liberty, dont be fooled.

Sorry buddy but Canadians will have the liberty to use cannabis legally where as in America and the rest of the world its still illegal, excluding Uruguay.

Cannabis users will still have to lie at the boarder somethings never change. Whats funny is the greedy fucks who bought cannabis stocks and have never smoked a joint in their lives may now be labeled drug traffickers and face a lifetime ban in the states.

FYI don't worry sooner or later America will catch up to Canada, history repeats.

Edited by rider420 (09/15/18 02:30 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Medical Cannabis Seeds

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service