Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleElCharrua
Reverend
Male User Gallery
Loc: Punta del Este, Uruguay
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: Kayo700]
    #25353357 - 07/29/18 05:23 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hello and thank your for the detailed instructions.  I have a question: you say

"Step 5: The Wait - Incubation

This is the longest part of the whole process. The wait. Incubation should take place at 68 to 75 degree's Fahrenheit (20 to 24 Celsius). Germination usually takes about a week and full colonization can range from anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. "

However, Stamets, in "The Mushroom Cultivator" shows a graph with the maximum mycelial growth for P. cubensis at 86F.

--------------------
Practice makes perfect, so be careful what you practice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineManifoldPrime
Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'm a teapot

Loc: South Africa Flag
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: ElCharrua] * 1
    #25353673 - 07/29/18 09:54 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Thats a good observation ElCharrua, glad you're doing your homework.

However that book was published in 1985. We've learned a great deal since then.

That might be an optimal growth speed in lab conditions, however in our case:

The mycelium network will generate its own heat via thermogenesis. Adding a few degrees to the temp of the room.

Contams like a warmer environment, keeping your environment cooler will slow the speed of the colony but penalise any potential contams even more.

and if we put the average temp for teks (which are written with the layman in mind) higher noobs start buying heating pads and aquarium heaters:facepalm3:

--------------------
My Magnum Opus:Thai Variety Comparison

Please correct me if I say something wrong!

| Current Trade Print Availability:Some PESA and RW available for South African posters. Snail Mail only. |

Offlinezanda2142
Learner
Loc: The Centre, Australia Flag
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: ManifoldPrime]
    #25360917 - 08/01/18 07:44 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

This tek is awesome - thanks for all your hard work!

I followed the original PF tek around 15 years ago and was very successful, haven’t cultivated since but plan to follow your tek shortly - as soon as I get a hold of some spores in Australia. Hopefully I can find a generous fellow shroomery member in Aus that can send some spore prints my way.

Edited by zanda2142 (08/01/18 09:58 PM)

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: ManifoldPrime] * 1
    #25361284 - 08/02/18 12:07 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ElCharrua said:
Hello and thank your for the detailed instructions.  I have a question: you say

"Step 5: The Wait - Incubation

This is the longest part of the whole process. The wait. Incubation should take place at 68 to 75 degree's Fahrenheit (20 to 24 Celsius). Germination usually takes about a week and full colonization can range from anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. "

However, Stamets, in "The Mushroom Cultivator" shows a graph with the maximum mycelial growth for P. cubensis at 86F.

Quote:

ManifoldPrime said:
Thats a good observation ElCharrua, glad you're doing your homework.

However that book was published in 1985. We've learned a great deal since then.

That might be an optimal growth speed in lab conditions, however in our case:

The mycelium network will generate its own heat via thermogenesis. Adding a few degrees to the temp of the room.

Contams like a warmer environment, keeping your environment cooler will slow the speed of the colony but penalise any potential contams even more.

and if we put the average temp for teks (which are written with the layman in mind) higher noobs start buying heating pads and aquarium heaters:facepalm3:

:whathesaid:

Stamets doesn't have shit on me when it comes to culting psilo cubensis. A lot of time and effort has gone into figuring out optimal growth temps. the general consensus is 65-75 degrees. Basically, if its comfortable for you its comfy for them.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

OfflineManifoldPrime
Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'm a teapot

Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: Ziran]
    #25361337 - 08/02/18 01:51 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

My ambient temperature hovers around 59-62degF (its the end of winter here). Probably around 56-60 at night

Is this why my cakes and grain has been taking so damn long to colonise? Some of it was inoculated around 3 weeks ago, and still only looks 20-30% done. No signs of bacteria as of yet, and the cultures were the fastest I have, taking over 90% of a petri in a week. The MS cakes are the slowest.

I hope this isnt too off topic

--------------------
My Magnum Opus:Thai Variety Comparison

Please correct me if I say something wrong!

| Current Trade Print Availability:Some PESA and RW available for South African posters. Snail Mail only. |

InvisibleElCharrua
Reverend
Male User Gallery
    #25369491 - 08/06/18 06:11 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you.  I have used the higher temp on rye grain without contamination problems, but then I'm quite anal about sterility (pressure cooker, super clean room, laminar flow hood).

Those little buggers can be extremely picky one day and extremely resilient on another!

--------------------

InvisibleElCharrua
Reverend
Male User Gallery
    #25370259 - 08/06/18 01:44 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

BTW, thanks for the heads-up about thermogenesis.  I kept controlling the temp to a degree and ignored that.  I have just made a batch half grain and half Tek and, once growth is strong, will disinfect a digital thermometer and see how much thermogenesis adds to the substrate temperature.

Another BTW, sorry if has been mentioned before, but my first batch of BRF and V substrate was much smoother than the second one, and then I realized that the first time I mixed the dry ingredients before adding water, the second time I just dropped the BRF, then the V, then the water.  No matter how much I mixed and sliced, the substrate never ended the same as the first one.

--------------------

Edited by ElCharrua (08/06/18 01:45 PM)

InvisibleTormatoMFacebookDiscordReddit
The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: Ziran] * 1
    #25370330 - 08/06/18 02:21 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ziran said:
Stamets doesn't have shit on me when it comes to culting psilo cubensis.

My Ninja!! :super:
:likeaboss:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: ElCharrua]
    #25371487 - 08/07/18 12:47 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ElCharrua said:
Another BTW, sorry if has been mentioned before, but my first batch of BRF and V substrate was much smoother than the second one, and then I realized that the first time I mixed the dry ingredients before adding water, the second time I just dropped the BRF, then the V, then the water.  No matter how much I mixed and sliced, the substrate never ended the same as the first one.

Yah. the order makes a difference when you mix it all together. Mixing the verm and water first then adding the BRF makes a hell of a difference and the verm gets nice and evenly coated in BRF.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

Offlinekaizen_path
Always Kaizen

Loc: Current BioSpere: Earth
    #25376671 - 08/09/18 07:56 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Much appreciated! Working on my list.

OfflinePenisEnvyOogler
Stranger
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: kaizen_path]
    #25385007 - 08/13/18 06:43 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I appreciate this guide for what it is. 

3 suggested corrections:
1. If you can't afford a pressure cooker, this hobby is not for you.  I suggest selling newspapers in order to acquire the mindbogglingly large sum of $30.

2.  It needs to specify fine verm as has been spoken by RR. Fine verm is what you want. 

3.  No mention of gypsum or coffee.  Last I heard 1 tbsp of gypsum per 5 jars worked wonders.  Thanks to the editorial ignorance of The Magic Mushrooms Growers Bible, I have no idea what portion of coffee to add but I hear that it is good.

I thank you all for your hard work.

EDIT: Being less of a d*ck

Edited by PenisEnvyOogler (08/13/18 03:16 PM)

OfflineManifoldPrime
Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'm a teapot

Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: PenisEnvyOogler]
    #25385439 - 08/13/18 11:07 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Yeesh thats not a good first post

1. Mine cost $200 dollars equiv. to import. I wouldnt buy or use a shit PC ever again.

2. Course verm works fine

3. As someone who normally uses gypsum, its completely optional. I wouldn't bother with coffee.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: ManifoldPrime] * 1
    #25385457 - 08/13/18 11:14 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

1) I used a steam pot for a good long time, even started agar with it. There's nothing wrong with starting with and using one.

2) That's clearly fine verm, seems obvious and coarse verm has worked for people.

3) Gypsum and coffee aren't needed dude. Add stuff like that and every other new guy is gonna ask 20 questions about Gypsum.

The point of this(as I understand) is to be as friendly to beginners as possible. Start telling people they must have a pc and use gypsum and it appears to be more obstacles. Plus, if you got a pc and comfortable with using additives, you're probably using agar to grains at that point any way.

Don't blame op cause you failed. Try again.

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: LtLurker]
    #25385468 - 08/13/18 11:22 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

gypsum is usually used in bulk subs to help water retention and help reduce ph swings. coffee isnt really needed.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

OfflineBignate316
That guy
 User Gallery

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
    #25386962 - 08/14/18 02:34 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ziran said:
Updated PF-Tek Guide 2017 Edition

Step 4: Inoculation

1. Prep our SAB for work. How to prep your SAB for work

2. Load up our SAB with our jars.

3. Flame sterilize our spore syringe and inoculate each hole. I usually inoculate two jars then re-flame sterilize my syringe needle.

4. And into the jar the needle goes. Try to angle the needle a bit, so when you slide it in it goes up against the glass in between the verm layer and the glass. I use about a drop or two in each inoculation hole.

Nice write up man! Especially for a noob like myself. Lmao. I really liked the gifs showing field capacity. It's something I've read about million times now but haven't been able to visualise until now.

Anyways I think you should a note within the inoculation steps for if your needle becomes clogged, I mean since the pf tek is generally for beginners. I found out the hard way on my first go at it and ended up injecting way too much into some jars leaving not much for the rest.

Anyways the method I use to clear clogs is to re flame the needle, has worked liked a charm since. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: Bignate316]
    #25389111 - 08/14/18 11:58 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Bignate316 said:
Anyways the method I use to clear clogs is to re flame the needle

Yes. That works pretty well.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

OfflinePenisEnvyOogler
Stranger
    #25393283 - 08/16/18 07:49 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Well I made a second batch with firm verm and got a totally different consistency--the old batch, using 2-1-1 with coarse verm, was sludge.  Now I've got it fine, light, and fluffy.  Should work.

Didn't mean to be such a dick before.  I was a little more than frustrated because I've read all the teks a thousand times and still made a pretty big freshman error.

I still think my points on specifying fine verm, using a pressure cooker, and adding gypsum and coffee seem like logical additions, but I'll admit that I don't know anything.  I appreciate the help.

Invisibledmar
I'm a teapot

Loc: Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Superc...
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: PenisEnvyOogler]
    #25456101 - 09/12/18 09:05 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

How many cakes are you using per 10ml syringe of spores? I know you said a drop or two of the spore solution in each inoculation hole, but is there an actual quantity per jar? It shows 5 jars in the picture, so are you using 2ml per jar or are there more jars not pictured?

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: dmar]
    #25456140 - 09/12/18 09:16 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I think he said it in there, but generally you try to use only 1cc max per jar(or 1/4cc per hole). If you can use less that's better, a drop is all it really requires.

Invisibledmar
I'm a teapot

Loc: Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Superc...
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: LtLurker]
    #25456232 - 09/12/18 09:55 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Disregard my question I just posted, I found the answer waayyy back in the previous comments. I do have another question though. I am going to do the full thing step by step this time as shown here, but I saw this item on the sponsor page, so I clicked on the site, and read the description, and it seems pretty legit. I was wondering if anyone has used it, or has any opinions on the setup. It seems pretty ideal as it maintains relative humidity, temp, and times the lighting. Obviously, if i purchased it, I would still monitor my cakes since you can't simply go based off relative humidity. But it seems alot more reliable and efficient to me than sticking my cakes in a box and hand misting them each day. Also they pre-make the jars PF TEK style (of course i'd still have to make them myself after the first grow.) Thoughts? Opinions? Recommendations?

https://mushroomcube.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fexpandable-twin-chamber-mushroom-growing-system

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder