Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
    #2545526 - 04/10/04 01:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

All too often we hold off from doing something because we are afraid of failure. This thinking is self-sabotaging; any chance of success falls to zero because we don't even try.

Further my education. Build a house. Start a buisness. Create a philosophy. Propose. But thats just me...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2545599 - 04/10/04 02:00 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Saw a show about a guy who set some world record free-climbing an "unclimbable" precipice through training, discipline and emotional control. He mastered his fear and died a few months later in his 20's in a fall.

You make a good point, but fear has some value.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? [Re: Swami]
    #2545608 - 04/10/04 02:03 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That was a very inspiring story Swami. Thank you.

Hm, to be honest I don't think of failure in my actions. My mind naturally roots out the truely impossible, and works to make the near impossible come true. After all, we must take things in steps; actions once seen as impossible are now probable. Going to the moon was once ridiculous, now it's old news. Just as going to Mars may be in a century, and then going to Jupiter and Saturn's plants, and then intergalatic travel.

If the human race makes it that far.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? [Re: Ravus]
    #2545641 - 04/10/04 02:15 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That was a very inspiring story Swami. Thank you.

Always trying to help.  :heartpump:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

#2545668 - 04/10/04 02:31 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I would take over the world.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2545696 - 04/10/04 02:47 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe it doesn't matter whether you succeed or not. Maybe it's the "trying" that counts. Abraham was unsuccessful at several endeavors before he became president of the United States.

My favorite motto is "Try, try, again. Then give up. Don't be a damned fool about it."

Seriously, though, I am trying to start a law practice. I took a dive, after being somewhat successful initially, for various reasons. I'm trying again. I may fail. I'm not successful yet. But I'm not giving up. I'm proceeding on the belief that I won't fail, that if I keep giving it my best shot, I will be successful.

If I am not successful, will I be a failure? No, because maybe there's something else that the universe had in mind.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? [Re: Frog]
    #2545698 - 04/10/04 02:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Abraham was unsuccessful at several endeavors before he became president of the United States.

Then he was shot in the head. Perhaps with failure he would have led a longer, fuller life.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2545751 - 04/10/04 03:20 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So none of us should ever try to be successful at anything because we might be shot in the head.    :rolleyes:

Well, regardless of the consequences, I will continue to do what I think I am supposed to be doing, gun shots to the head be damned!  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2545785 - 04/10/04 03:43 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So none of us should ever try to be successful at anything because we might be shot in the head.

*sigh* What am I going to do with you froggy?

The point is that "success" is not measured by how far one climbs on the socio-political ladder.  :shake:

--------------------

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #2546150 - 04/10/04 10:13 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'd most likely still be doing exactly what I'm doing right now - sitting on my ass waiting to see where the wind takes me (basically just going with the flow of things and dealing with whatever happens to come along)

I may talk a lot about all this great stuff that I'd love to do with my life, but the truth is nine times out of ten I find my self looking back at stuff I had planned on doing years ago (which for whatever reason never really happened) and then start playing the whole 'what-if' game in an attempt to extropolate where I'd be today had I actually accomplished what I set out to do...and you know what - I haven't ever once thought that any of these roads I had been heading down would've lead me to a quote unquote 'better' place to where I'm at today

par exampla

growing up I always did really really well in school and I always knew some day I'd wind up getting that Valvictorian position and all those uber scholarships that come with it - I knew that I'd go on to college and get the best damn education I could possibly get, and then Id find some job that I'd be perfect for and be making a hundred bazillion dollars a year, and have the perfect wife, and this perfect house, and all that other bullshit...which of course was all fantasy - but an obtainable fantasy though (and not one that would've been all that tough to achieve at the rate I was going) but I got caught up in some bullshit drama that changed my life forever - I suddenly found myself in a position where it was glaringly obvious that this 'perfect' life of mine that I was certain to get, was now completely out of reach...and all because of some bullshit ass curveball that I really had no control over

I was crushed

for years I played 'what if' and I felt sorry for myself, and pissed off at everything that had happened, and even more pissed about the fact that my perfect little life was right down some perfect little drain...

behind all that anger though I was going through some incredible changes, and I did a 180 almost instantly without even realizing I had changed at all - I became a whole new man in a very short period of time, and it wasn't even until long after the change had occured that I finally started understanding why these things had happened

I was on a downward spiral and I didn't even know it - I was digging myself deeper and deeper into this hole without so much as acknowledging the fact that I was headed towards a really bad place...I had been focusing on the superficial aspects of life so exclusively that I failed to consider how my actions were affecting me on a deeper level

I was like a robot really

I spent every waking hour of every day planning out every last little detail of my life, and I didn't even consider anything beyond my own success...whether that be by having everything I ever wanted, or being able to go anywhere I wanted to go or do anything I wanted to do, or even something as simple and stupid of having that prize wife that every other guy in the world would give their left nut just to be seen with her in public - all I wanted was to enflate my ego

I didn't put friends or even family anywhere near the top of my list...I didn't care if I was slowly turning into a creepy emotionless troll or not...it didn't mater to me one way or another if I wound up a miserly old hermit that no one could stand being around - all I cared about was becomming successful in everything I did

and then life through me a curveball

yeah I bitched and moaned about it...I cursed god...I beat myself up over it (and so on and so forth) but much like being on a mushroom trip - I eventually learned that fighting it only made things worse, and so I learned to take up the whole 'shit happens' philosophy and just started going with the flow - I stopped trying to re-claim everything that had been taken from me (i.e. the life I had envisioned for myself) and started learning how to simply accept what I had left to work with

ironically - without all the pressure of having to be 'perfect' all the time and having to do everything in just the right way (and all that other bullshit) I actually became a much more chill guy...I stopped basing my life on meterialistic things (which was also a direct result of the 'curveball' I had been thrown) and started exploring a lot of the unseen forces of the universe (also a direct curveball connection) not to mention my own consciousness and what have you

you see - this one single event started an entire chain reaction that changed everything about who I am...and now that I've seen how it's played out (for the most part anyway) I wouldn't change it for the world - I love who I am, and I'd never go back to the way I used to be

if I were able to accomplish anything - chances are I'd just wind up succeeding in something that I would've wished I would've never succeeded in in the first place (if that makes any sense)

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2546210 - 04/10/04 10:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I would have a serious complex.

The fuel that drives me to keep on going is the anticipation of how a certain task is going to pann out.

I may sound weird, but it is always a refreshing idea that things aren't always going to go your way. if everything just went my way (as in I never failed on any task) then the task really isn't worth putting a lot of effort in.

I need to be able to work so then I know what play is, but if I never failed at anything, then it really isn't work. kind of takes the whole accomplishment idea out the window. where would be without the feeling of accomplishment?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? [Re: kaiowas]
    #2546229 - 04/10/04 11:00 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think that's strange.. it makes perfect sense.

All things work in this way, from my experience.

It's like when you use an "invincibility" cheat code in a video game. After a while you aren't even playing it anymore, you're just holding down A and running in a straight line, and everything dies. Whoopee.

:whoa:

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #2546437 - 04/10/04 01:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Mystical Craven...your post really hit close to home. (This may steer off topic, but) I too had similar circumstances. Certain assumptions and expectations never became fulfilled due to lively curveballs. These blows to my ego caused me to find the feeling of accomplishment by planning easy to reach goals...mostly materialistic and egotistical in nature.

After a short period of success with this attitude, I was overwhelmed with more curveballs. I made forceful attempts to maintain control by over-planning, but this set me up for further disappointment. Eventually, I gave up, let go, and tried to go with the flow. I decided only to deal with life as it happened instead of before it happened. This was around the time I adapted a more spiritual outlook. Stress does some interesting things to a man.

BTW, I never knew other folks used that phrase "feeling of accomplishment" and it's important relation to the ego.

I suppose I could write some unrealistic dreams like "find a cure for cancer" or "bring world peace," but I don't think that is the type of response you're looking for. If I couldn't fail...wow, how can I narrow it to one thing?

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2546564 - 04/10/04 01:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"All too often we hold off from doing something because we are afraid of failure. This thinking is self-sabotaging; any chance of success falls to zero because we don't even try"

Well, being afraid to sky dive without a parachute is probally healthy. .... ........No need to risk your life because you think 'well if I don't try my sucess is zero', when it's already at zero.............................................................................I know this may be an extreme example... just thought I would pull one of your own ones on you.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2546763 - 04/10/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

My intention was not to inspire irrational behavior but to expose unrealized goals.
I liked the turn this thread took; good thought on every ones part.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2547262 - 04/10/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

My intention was not to inspire irrational behavior ...

It is too late. You have already inspired me to irrational behavior. Full report to follow after they remove the bandages.

--------------------

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
Re: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? [Re: Viaggio]
    #2547298 - 04/10/04 11:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

it's always nice to know when something you say makes a good impression on someone  :cool:

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2547305 - 04/10/04 11:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
So none of us should ever try to be successful at anything because we might be shot in the head.

*sigh* What am I going to do with you froggy?

The point is that "success" is not measured by how far one climbs on the socio-political ladder.  :shake:

:oogle:  When did I ever mention climbing the socio-political ladder???  I just was talking about being successful at what I am trying to do.  I think we each should try to be successful in what we attempt.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #2547330 - 04/10/04 11:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mystical_Craven said:
and then life through me a curveball

yeah I bitched and moaned about it...I cursed god...I beat myself up over it (and so on and so forth) but much like being on a mushroom trip - I eventually learned that fighting it only made things worse, and so I learned to take up the whole 'shit happens' philosophy and just started going with the flow - I stopped trying to re-claim everything that had been taken from me (i.e. the life I had envisioned for myself) and started learning how to simply accept what I had left to work with

ironically - without all the pressure of having to be 'perfect' all the time and having to do everything in just the right way (and all that other bullshit) I actually became a much more chill guy...I stopped basing my life on meterialistic things (which was also a direct result of the 'curveball' I had been thrown) and started exploring a lot of the unseen forces of the universe (also a direct curveball connection) not to mention my own consciousness and what have you

you see - this one single event started an entire chain reaction that changed everything about who I am...and now that I've seen how it's played out (for the most part anyway) I wouldn't change it for the world - I love who I am, and I'd never go back to the way I used to be

if I were able to accomplish anything - chances are I'd just wind up succeeding in something that I would've wished I would've never succeeded in in the first place (if that makes any sense)

I went through the same thing you went through!  I was trying to establish a successful law practice, and almost succeeded, and then all hell broke loose in my life.  I lost everything all at once.  But then I saw (or I think God showed me) how it would all turn out if I just went with the flow and didn't try to be in charge of it. 

At this time, I also achieved a different perspective on life and the universe and saw how we and events are all interconnected.  And that God is taking care of everything. 

I am still trying to be successful, but not because of material reasons, although I still wouldn't mind being materialistically successful.  :grin: 

I just get the feeling that I'm doing what I am meant to be doing, and that if I keep looking for the signs of where I'm supposed to be, everything will come out well. 

Those elusive signs.  Got to slow down and take a deep breath and watch the world go 'round.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2547344 - 04/10/04 11:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

When did I ever mention climbing the socio-political ladder?

Lincoln - president - remember?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology