Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
thou shalt not take the lords name in vane
    #2545286 - 04/09/04 09:53 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Wich came first; the comandment, or the sin?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: thou shalt not take the lords name in vane [Re: Dreamer987]
    #2545295 - 04/09/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

hmm, good question... I would think the sin. why? well humans are inherently 'evil' , and it's in their nature to sin.. this is reff ering to both physical and astral divisions..

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2545300 - 04/09/04 10:01 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I think it could mean, when one becomes fully god realized (enlightened or what have you) then he would not (out of his own choosing) take the lord's name in vain.

Same for the rest of the commandments.

--------------------

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Re: thou shalt not take the lords name in vane [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2545307 - 04/09/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

No I mean the comandment itself. Did God say: "man that would suck if people started using my name as a curse word", or were people doing that first and he wanted to put a stop to it.

sorry if this isn't all that inteligent.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2545337 - 04/09/04 10:17 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Goddamn if I know.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2545371 - 04/09/04 10:30 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

probably people were doing it first...like I said, humans are inherently earthly in nature.

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2545420 - 04/09/04 10:46 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Using the lord's name in vain isn't necessarily saying "God damn." I think it refers to holding crusades, inquisitions, and other malicious acts "in the name of the lord."

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Edited by viaggio (04/10/04 10:15 AM)

Anonymous

#2545443 - 04/09/04 10:54 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

firstly, when we say "god damnit! :mad:"  are we thinking of God damning something/someone? I do not think so.  Not everyone calls "god", "god" anyways.  some call him allah, some the great spirit, he goes by many names, everybody knows that.

For me to say god damnit, is not going to offend god, as god does not have an ego to offend, he is pure love, "he" is not going to be pissed at you and hold it against you that you said one of the many many names that we(humans) have come to call him in "vain".  and like i said before, in our hearts when we say 'god' we arent even thinking of him! so its not like we are using "his name in vain", we are only saying something that we have heard other people say and picked it up, its just like any other swear word, BITCH!, SHIT! COCK SUCKER!  and the natorious, FUCK! and countless others, we just say em cuz what, who gives a fuck, they are words we say to express how we feel.

of course you know it offends those who choose to take offense to hearing  god used in "vain", so to say it around them is rude, and you know your upsetting them so ya just should mind your mouth when around those kinds of people, otherwise god coudl honestly give a fuck less, he knwos you love him and mean well(even if you dont believe now....you love him deep down, and he knows this)

do ya understand what im sayin man?

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: thou shalt not take the lords name in vane [Re: ]
    #2545467 - 04/09/04 11:04 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Thats the best way of putting it Kottonmouth. The only way to say God's name in vain is to pretty much be meaning to do it IMO. As in saying it to cause sin or dissobey(SP) God.

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2545722 - 04/10/04 01:03 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

i wonder if this really means "do not be vain about the lords name"

I am very careful of peoples interpretation of the words. I am very skeptical of the interpreters. I cuss all the damn time! Whoops.

I think that the more pretentious people who pretend to be full of the lord and can preach and think they can convert everyone pose more of a threat than someone saying "god damnit" or "jesus christ". 

Where is the scale...

:mushroom2:

--------------------
What?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: thou shalt not take the lords name in vane [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2545736 - 04/10/04 01:11 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I think it has to do with Trademark laws...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2546250 - 04/10/04 09:13 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

haha the "lord's name"

oh cause God only has one name :lol:

oh wait...YOUR god only has one name :lol:

the whole commandment thing is retarded IMHO.  like how is a higher being going to give us lower beings the experience of free will, and then judge us!!!  sounds kind of lame to me

as far as what came first? well neither of them are real because they are both concepts in the mind, concepts that were probably around before the Bible was even thought of. so I'll go with the concept of sin.

to quote the history of the world pt 1

"I have 15 *CRASH*  uh... TEN Commandments?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #2546585 - 04/10/04 11:53 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

this quote should be taken in the right context... in todays world, we see the word "lord" in scripture and we assume it means god... but when the king james version was written, the Lord was an actual person, a person to whom obedience was demanded and required...
lords were a class of people elevated over the rest of the populace and given special priviledge, so it was very tempting for a serf in an unknown region to try to pass himself off as a visiting lord...

so the requirement not to take the lords name in vain was not an admonition against saying certain words, it was a commandment not to impersonate a lord, violation was punishable by death...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: thou shalt not take the lords name in vane [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #2550043 - 04/12/04 01:50 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I've never heard that before. It sounds very probable though. If you could site some sources that would greatly help some discussions I've been haveing with some friends.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

#2550052 - 04/12/04 01:53 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

lots a good well thought out replys in this thread
structured around my assininity
keep it up brothas n sistas

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2550422 - 04/12/04 05:40 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Uhh...no. The Name[s] of GOD 'resound' with something of GOD's essence. This is why legends which surround King Solomon say that he alone could pronounce the unpronouncable Tetragrammaton (4 letter Name of GOD). With the power in pronunciation, Solomon was said to command demons to cut the stone to build his temple, since the LORD GOD commanded that the stone NOT be cut with metal tools. How then was it possible to cut stone without metal? At any rate, the legend is really about Solomon's knowledge of the highest Name - the Tetragrammaton.

There are many Names in the Old Testament, and theology has developed about them. Kabbalism especially recognizes the metaphysical distinctions (I finished a book on Easter - 'Adam and the Kabbalistic Tree' - which ends with a discourse on the Divine Names). Only once a year, in the Holiest of Holies (the inner sanctum of the Temple) was the priest to pronounce the Tetragrammaton. Before that, it was Moses or his brother Aaron. The Name and the essence are inextricably bound as the Word of GOD - the Primal Sound of Ultimate Reality, and therefore Most Holy. It is not the English word 'GOD.' The word LORD - Adonai, in Hebrew is used instead of the Holy Names in Judaism and in early Christianity. The LORD is one's Master, if one is a believer in GOD. The tradition of calling one Lord, or Master in an earthly sense is derivative of the spiritual sense.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom