Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The Alamo Movie
    #2545279 - 04/09/04 11:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Seems some fear a Mexican backlash as it a slap in the face on Mexican history; others see it as just a movie.

I found it interesting what one movie-goer said: "Even though I am Mexican, the movie was entertaining, but I know what really happened."  Um, nobody alive today knows exactly what happened nor fully understands the motivation for the characters in either side. All we know is what we were taught!

All are welcome to chime in, but would like to hear mostly from our south-of the-border neighbors.

Edit: Oops was supposed to post this in P&L (my first mistake ever!). But I suppose perception and the issues of what and how we are taught depending on our country's views are a valid source for discussion. Nevermind, my spirit guide just told me it was not a mistake after all.  :wexican:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (04/10/04 12:00 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: The Alamo Movie [Re: Swami]
    #2545290 - 04/09/04 11:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe the writter caught onto the : Make a contoversial movie, get rich idea, and thought that by doing the same, the large and growing hispanic population in the united states would bring him $$....

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2545400 - 04/10/04 12:38 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

god forbid that the white man let the native mexicans keep their land. im not mexican myself, but in my school, the white americans were the good guys and mexicans(dark americans) were the villians...

i really am not a scholar in this subject though. im not sure of the motivation between these two cultures.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: The Alamo Movie [Re: CleverName]
    #2546293 - 04/10/04 11:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"god forbid that the white man let the native mexicans keep their land. im not mexican myself, but in my school, the white americans were the good guys and mexicans(dark americans) were the villians"

that's how it is in most movies and textbooks.

then again I remember the diney channel having cartoons and the natives were the bad people. same with looney tunes.

programs indeed...

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2547129 - 04/10/04 10:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The John Wayne movie has some hilarious cultural biases in it. My favorite is when the old dude offers his slave freedom since he knows he may die in the upcoming fight. But the slave refuses because he "loves his massa so much." In the fight scene, a mexican bandit lunges at the slave owner with a mounted bayonet, but the slave dives infront of him and gets killed, because he "loves his massa so much!"

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
    #2549012 - 04/11/04 07:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The alamo is a touchy subject for all mexicans.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology