Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMartianman420
Strangerdanger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Tejas
Instant coffee?
    #25447267 - 09/09/18 10:03 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I'm working with wbs that already has calcium carbonate but I've seen a few videos of people hydrating with coffee
Wondering if instant Folgers would work or no

Edited by Martianman420 (09/09/18 10:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Instant coffee? [Re: Martianman420]
    #25447309 - 09/09/18 10:20 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

While I have not tried this, I will say I expect it to work pretty much not at all or barely. Maybe better said: not as effectively as you'd want.

Your first sentence is puzzling, there may be various ways in which coffee can be used, namely as a supplement to add to substrate low on micro-nutrients like straight up wood, but also as a substrate of its own if composed the right way. In both cases you don't really want coffee as much as you want spent coffee grounds.

Using actual coffee could work instead of using water to hydrate your substrate, but it is less wasteful to use the coffee grounds and it is less confusing to separate the purpose of bringing your substrate up to the right moisture level and providing it with nutrients.

There is two things kinda wrong with instant coffee: one is that while it may contain a nice bunch of nutrients in solution.. it may not be much compared to all of the chemicals that remain in actual spent coffee grounds. Another issue is that it is wasteful to use a primary product like instant coffee rather than a waste product.

Calcium carbonate has nothing to do with this, it is a buffer with another origin and function.

I think it would be better if you would try to find something you or someone close to you produces as waste with plenty of solids that serve as a source of proteins or more generally nitrogen, as well as a slew of organic compounds like (optionally) phenols and also inorganic minerals.

Shroomery should have the resources for you to find various options for supplementing your substrate well and cheaply rather than to focus on the idea of coffee too much.

Edited by Solipsis (09/09/18 10:23 AM)

OfflineMartianman420
Strangerdanger

Re: Instant coffee? [Re: Solipsis]
    #25447384 - 09/09/18 10:43 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I meant to say wbs not was and it has calcium carbonate in it or gypsum

--------------------
Thinking is not an option

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Instant coffee? [Re: Martianman420]
    #25447465 - 09/09/18 11:12 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

OK well still, that's throwing together a bunch of ingredients in a sentence which serve different roles.

Read my post plz: coffee is a supplement for substrates which do not contain enough micronutrients or nitrogen. WBS tends to have enough of that although you could add a little. It should have the bran part of grains (i.e. "whole grain") or if not, bran itself is actually a pretty good supplement a lot of people use.

Again: adding calcium carbonate serves as a buffer which means it prevents the acidity level from getting to low, since as the fungus grows it lowers the acidity level, making the substrate more acidic. And molds like it when the environment gets acidic so it is a good idea to try and keep it neutral or slightly above it.

Gypsum is a poor buffer relatively speaking but instead a good source of calcium (which calcium carbonate isn't as much by comparison because it doesn't dissolve well) and especially sulfate which provides sulfur. It is a base though, like calcium carbonate.

So: instant coffee even if it would be helpful in another way, would do something entirely different than the other things you mentioned. And my conclusion is that there are better things to use unless you can get a lot of instant coffee for free.

OfflineKinokoKomodo
マッシュルーム
 User Gallery

Loc: North Florida
Re: Instant coffee? [Re: Solipsis]
    #25448507 - 09/09/18 07:20 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

yes, instant works great!! this is part of my recipe for wbs prep. don't forget the gypsum!! (yes...still add gypsum. i just put drywall in my coffee grinder for gypsum.) i also like to bring my wbs to a  boil WITH the coffee and gypsum still in the soak. i don't strain the wbs until after i'm done boiling it, and I DO NOT wash after. i just drain the liquid off. once i adopted this recipe my jars started colonizing to 100% in under 2 weeks consistently.

Edited by KinokoKomodo (09/09/18 07:24 PM)

OfflineMartianman420
Strangerdanger

Re: Instant coffee? [Re: KinokoKomodo]
    #25448714 - 09/09/18 09:16 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KinokoKomodo said:
yes, instant works great!! this is part of my recipe for wbs prep. don't forget the gypsum!! (yes...still add gypsum. i just put drywall in my coffee grinder for gypsum.) i also like to bring my wbs to a  boil WITH the coffee and gypsum still in the soak. i don't strain the wbs until after i'm done boiling it, and I DO NOT wash after. i just drain the liquid off. once i adopted this recipe my jars started colonizing to 100% in under 2 weeks consistently.

nice man!!!! thanks for insight

--------------------
Thinking is not an option

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains