Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids
    #25445237 - 09/08/18 02:12 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids
www.washingtonpost.com

Following hundreds of lawsuits over the years against pharmaceutical giant Purdue Pharma, Colorado’s attorney general is suing the OxyContin creator for its “significant role in causing the opioid epidemic.”

The lawsuit claims Purdue Pharma L.P. and Purdue Pharma Inc. deluded doctors and patients in Colorado about the potential for addiction with prescription opioids and continued to push the drugs. And it comes amid news that the company’s former chairman and president, Richard Sackler, has patented a new drug to help wean addicts from opioids.

“Purdue’s habit-forming medications coupled with their reckless marketing have robbed children of their parents, families of their sons and daughters, and destroyed the lives of our friends, neighbors, and co-workers,” Colorado Attorney General Cynthia Coffman said Thursday in a statement. “While no amount of money can bring back loved ones, it can compensate for the enormous costs brought about by Purdue’s intentional misconduct.”

The lawsuit states that Purdue Pharma “downplayed the risk of addiction associated with opioids,” “exaggerated the benefits” and “advised health care professionals that they were violating their Hippocratic Oath and failing their patients unless they treated pain symptoms with opioids,” according to the statement from the Colorado attorney general’s office.

But Purdue Pharma “vigorously” denied the accusations Friday in a statement to The Washington Post, saying that although it shares “the state’s concern about the opioid crisis,” it did not mislead health-care providers about prescription opioids.

“The state claims Purdue acted improperly by communicating with prescribers about scientific and medical information that FDA has expressly considered and continues to approve,” a spokesman for Purdue Pharma said in the statement. “We believe it is inappropriate for the state to substitute its judgment for the judgment of the regulatory, scientific and medical experts at FDA.”

In 2016, there were more than 63,000 drug overdose deaths in United States, and more than 66 percent of them were attributed to opioids, according to the most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC states that both illegal opioids and prescription opioids, which are commonly used to treat pain, have been associated with addiction, overdoses and death.

In federal court in 2007, three top current and former employees for Purdue pleaded guilty to criminal charges, admitting that they had falsely led doctors and their patients to believe that OxyContin was less likely to be abused than other drugs in its class, according to the New York Times. Then earlier this year, the Wall Street Journal reported that Purdue planned to stop promoting the drug.

Now, it seems, a new business venture is only adding to the outcry.

The Financial Times reported that Sackler, whose family owns Purdue Pharma, a multibillion-dollar company, patented a new drug earlier this year that is a form of buprenorphine, a mild opioid that is used to ease withdrawal symptoms. However, some are expressing outrage that the Sacklers, who have in essence profited from opioid addictions, may soon be profiting from the antidote.

“It’s reprehensible what Purdue Pharma has done to our public health,” Luke Nasta, director of Camelot, a New York-based treatment center for drug and alcohol addiction, told the Financial Times. He told the newspaper that the Sackler family “shouldn’t be allowed to peddle any more synthetic opiates — and that includes opioid substitutes.”

The patent’s description acknowledges the risk of addiction that is associated with opioids:

Quote:

While opioids have always been known to be useful in pain treatment, they also display an addictive potential in view of their euphorigenic activity. Thus, if opioids are taken by healthy human subjects with a drug seeking behaviour they may lead to psychological as well as physical dependence.

These usually undesired characteristics of opioids can however become important in certain scenarios such as drug substitution therapies for drug addicts. One of the fundamental problems of illicit drug abuse by drug addicts (“junkies”) who are dependent on the constant intake of illegal drugs such as heroin is the drug-related criminal activities resorted to by such addicts in order to raise enough money to fund their addiction. The constant pressures upon addicts to procure money for buying drugs and the concomitant criminal activities have been increasingly recognised as a major factor that counteracts efficient and long-lasting withdrawal and abstinence from drugs.

The patent states that the drug could be used both in drug replacement therapy as well as for pain management.

Purdue Pharma did not respond to requests for comment on the new drug, but in addressing the lawsuit in Colorado, the company said: “We share the state’s concern about the opioid crisis. While our opioid medicines account for less than 2% of total prescriptions, we will continue to work collaboratively with the state toward bringing meaningful solutions to address this public health challenge.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #25445278 - 09/08/18 02:36 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

patented a new drug earlier this year that is a form of buprenorphine, a mild opioid that is used to ease withdrawal symptoms.

:rolleyes:

Yeah I am sure a "mild opioid" will work great to get people off other opioids....

We better ban kratom so everyone can take this and totally not relapse to stronger opioids or just get addicted to this new "mild" crap...

Also can't any opioid be "mild" at a low dose?... Unless it has some really low effects roof for dosing people will probably just take higher doses or mix it with other stuff.

I hope they sue to shit out of these bastards, and spark a whole series of lawsuits until they lose all the blood money they made off this opioid epidemic.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: musiclover420]
    #25445304 - 09/08/18 02:44 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

The best and least uncomfortable drugs for opiate detox are 1 by far bupe and of course methadone also.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #25445320 - 09/08/18 02:49 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

It's shouldn't be about money. If they make more money than what they'll lose in lawsuits then they have no problem selling the medication because they've made profit. They need to face a prison sentence then they'll think twice about convincing doctors to prescribe OxyContin for stupid things like headaches.

--------------------
Matsesherbs.com is a SCAM site. Do not send them any money!!!!

InvisibleBayerPhi
Always Learning

Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: Crispy224]
    #25445439 - 09/08/18 03:47 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Making money backwards and forwards.
Got 'em hooked, now let's get rich getting them un-hooked.

--------------------
Μανθάνων μὴ κάμνε

:alert: Mycology Fundamentals and Misc. Info :mushroom:

:chemistry: Stains, Reagents, and Media :alert:

Tradelist

Invisiblepassifloracaerulea
 User Gallery

Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: BayerPhi]
    #25445782 - 09/08/18 06:15 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Are they talking about Belbuca?

Offlineelementblazin
Cruisin' on that LSD
Male

Loc: SoCal Flag
Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: musiclover420]
    #25445841 - 09/08/18 06:44 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

patented a new drug earlier this year that is a form of buprenorphine, a mild opioid that is used to ease withdrawal symptoms.

Yeah I am sure a "mild opioid" will work great to get people off other opioids....

We better ban kratom so everyone can take this and totally not relapse to stronger opioids or just get addicted to this new "mild" crap...

Also can't any opioid be "mild" at a low dose?... Unless it has some really low effects roof for dosing people will probably just take higher doses or mix it with other stuff.

I hope they sue to shit out of these bastards, and spark a whole series of lawsuits until they lose all the blood money they made off this opioid epidemic.

Sadly Kratom; which I was taking daily after a lengthy battle of both prescription and street opioids such as pills (Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Oxymorphone, Hydromorphone, Fentanyl, Codeine, syrups, name it...) and then finally led me onto the cheaper, heroin... which I smoked for years and then got off and was taking kratom daily instead of using any prescription opioids and or heroin; IS BANNED where I live, IN JUST MY COUNTY!!! My state; STILL LEGAL. I find this SUCH BULLSHIT. San Diego (yeah I'll say it, idgaf) banned it in the entire county with an EMERGENCY BAN!!! So so so so so SOOOO unfair to people like me. Well guess what? Because of that, I had to score heroin again so I could test dirty so I could get onto a Methadone program which is now costing me a WHOPPING $300 CASH every single MONTH... whereas back when I was ordering kratom I would be spending $300/6months or so... IF THAT... I'm so so pissed and it's so obvious who is behind stuff like this *COUGH COUGH*BIGPHARMAANDTHEGOVERNMENT*COUGH COUGH*

end rant...

Can anyone relate? :frown:

--------------------
My CA Legend:
A plus sign (+) means I took it within 20 minutes of then.
A minus sign (-) means I took it more than 20 minutes ago, but it's still active.

OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: elementblazin]
    #25445851 - 09/08/18 06:47 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

elementblazin said:
Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

Sadly Kratom; which I was taking daily after a lengthy battle of both prescription and street opioids such as pills (Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Oxymorphone, Hydromorphone, Fentanyl, Codeine, syrups, name it...) and then finally led me onto the cheaper, heroin... which I smoked for years and then got off and was taking kratom daily instead of using any prescription opioids and or heroin; IS BANNED where I live, IN JUST MY COUNTY!!! My state; STILL LEGAL. I find this SUCH BULLSHIT. San Diego (yeah I'll say it, idgaf) banned it in the entire county with an EMERGENCY BAN!!! So so so so so SOOOO unfair to people like me. Well guess what? Because of that, I had to score heroin again so I could test dirty so I could get onto a Methadone program which is now costing me a WHOPPING $300 CASH every single MONTH... whereas back when I was ordering kratom I would be spending $300/6months or so... IF THAT... I'm so so pissed and it's so obvious who is behind stuff like this *COUGH COUGH*BIGPHARMAANDTHEGOVERNMENT*COUGH COUGH*

end rant...

Can anyone relate? :frown:

If you look hard enough I'm sure you could find someone that will send Kratom to San Diego.

--------------------
Matsesherbs.com is a SCAM site. Do not send them any money!!!!

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: elementblazin]
    #25445872 - 09/08/18 06:59 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Damn element, been a minute since I seen you post here.

Hope you've been well dude

--------------------

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Loc: Great Lakes State
Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #25446099 - 09/08/18 08:55 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

Buprenorphine actually does possess some qualities that make it a good drug for opiate detox. If I had to detox from opioids, after kratom it would be my first choice.

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: Peyote Road]
    #25446137 - 09/08/18 09:15 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Peyote Road said:

Buprenorphine actually does possess some qualities that make it a good drug for opiate detox. If I had to detox from opioids, after kratom it would be my first choice.

Well that is good to hear but I am always skeptical of this stuff. Assuming it does work good they will probably make it fairly expensive and try and keep cheaper alternatives off the market :shakefist:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Invisibletrvptamine
P-Mx$$
Male

Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: Peyote Road]
    #25446161 - 09/08/18 09:29 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

^^^ What Peyote Road said. Buprenorphine has a ceiling effect because its a partial agonist. It also binds more strongly to opioid receptors than almost any other common opioid. This makes it great for weaning off of stronger opiates/opioids, or even for daily maintenance, because it blocks the action of drugs with more euphoric propertys than itself.

--------------------

Invisiblelessismore
Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: trvptamine]
    #25446336 - 09/08/18 11:16 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

They say Tramadol is not addictive; yet people say it is harder to quit cold turkey than Heroin.

Same goes for Buprenorphine patches, the elderly get them, but getting them off it is near impossible, it lasts for days, and is basically morphine, so a weeks withdrawal instead of normal like 4 hours of morphine. Imagine that guys.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: lessismore]
    #25446567 - 09/09/18 02:25 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Buprenorphine is great for its purposes, seems like theres always some debate, because pharm companies make bank from it. But ive yet to find a substance that keeps wd away as well while killing cravings and not making you feel doped up, so if you do really wean down and switch to say codeine for a week, its really kind of a miracle. Youd expect wd to be alot worse. But you DO NOT jump off at 8mg. Even 2mg might not be easy, gotta switch to a super weak opiate for a bit. Kratom works too. Just only for a week

Methadone is very zombifying and you need to go to a clinic often to get it. Kratom isnt long acting enough. Ibogaine cannot be used in this way, more of its own kind of therapy. Buprenorphine on the other hand is only a partial agonist and only gets people who dont really use opioids high. Or those who are first trying it. And is best at lower doses.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: lessismore]
    #25446771 - 09/09/18 06:26 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lessismore said:
They say Tramadol is not addictive; yet people say it is harder to quit cold turkey than Heroin.

Same goes for Buprenorphine patches, the elderly get them, but getting them off it is near impossible, it lasts for days, and is basically morphine, so a weeks withdrawal instead of normal like 4 hours of morphine. Imagine that guys.

trams are super addictive and the withdrawal is godawful.

OfflineO_Dweeds
Humanitarian Magician

Loc: Molecular (Creating, Watc...
    #25446923 - 09/09/18 07:24 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lessismore said:

Bupe is synthesized thebaine. Thebaine is known to have pain relief effects 2-4x stronger than morphine. It's very energetic; it's great in it's natural form without being synthesized.

--------------------
Oxygen. Water. Neil Young

Our word "planet" comes from the Greek word planetes, meaning "wanderer."

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace."
Gregg Allman

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: O_Dweeds]
    #25446985 - 09/09/18 07:48 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Oxycodone is synthesized from thebaine also. And many others. Thebaine itself will make you delirious and feels terrible

Chems that are made from it, though, do not bear any resemblance to natural thebaine. If youre ever somehow offered thebaine (super unlikely), say no kids. It is a kappa-opioid-agonist. Not Mu

My friend, by accident, once made tea from pods that were high in thebaine. He thought he was gonna die. Maybe was truly a dangerous thing to do. You wouldnt know, your first time trying the pods. One batch can be better than a morphine bottle, another can have mostly thebaine

Buprenorphine patch? Never heard of those, that is not how its used in opioid addiction meds, its usually sublingual. And it doesnt last for days, its a one-a-day or two a day thing. Optimally once per 24hr

Btw as great a gift i think bupe is for the addicted, it still has its problems. For example, if you take regular Suboxone, (which isnt just bupe) or generic, chances are constipation will suck. But a different brand causes pretty much no constipation. Then theres stuff like the fact that high doses can make your mood "flat" (hard to explain, just not so excited, happens with most opi's), so its best to keep it under 8mg, in fact 2mg a day prolly wouldnt change much but would just stop withdrawal and allow a normal life. Since its a partial agonist/super strong antagonist that doesnt even let naltrexone or fentanyl in (thats right, dont OD), high doses fuck with endorphins and dont let them in fully (since endorphins = morphine chemically, like thc and anandamide), you could feel less happy on high dose bupe. Which is mostly just a reason to taper and get off it, or at least reduce your dose.

The good thing is theres no reason to just sit on high doses, so this encourages you to get your life back, and work on being able to function on 2mg and eventually be opioid free. Altho it bares repeating that throughout all this, you Never get an opioid euphoria. I wonder if there are any non-opioid drugs (non-endorphins) that might stimulate the natural kind

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (09/09/18 08:07 AM)

Offlinelifeiswhatyoumake
pump ur peen
Male User Gallery

#25447061 - 09/09/18 08:34 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Don't blame other people for you getting back onto heroin.  The only person's fault for making the conscious choice to go back to it is you, element.
Stop using the stuff.  It's horrible for you in every way.

--------------------
:goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:  I dropped a cheesy pop dance track "Be With Me, Baby": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezFSNS7JDI :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:

Invisibletrvptamine
P-Mx$$
Male

#25447093 - 09/09/18 08:52 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lessismore said:

Id disagree with this just from my own experience with bupe. I was on 8mg daily for 8 months. It does suck coming off of it but for me heroin withdrawal was much worse. I know a lot of people claim coming off of bupe is worse but thats not my own experience.

And what do you mean 4 hours for morphine? Heroin is faster acting than morphine and withdrawals last at least a week for me.

Also, I dont think the psychological part of the addiction with bupe could ever compare to how it is with an every day IV heroin user.

All in all I support buprenorphine replacement therapy along with counseling, because studies have shown that this is the path with the least percentage of relapses on stronger drugs.

--------------------

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: The man who made billions of dollars from OxyContin is pushing a drug to wean addicts off opioids [Re: lifeiswhatyoumake]
    #25447127 - 09/09/18 09:04 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lifeiswhatyoumake said:
Don't blame other people for you getting back onto heroin.  The only person's fault for making the conscious choice to go back to it is you, element.
Stop using the stuff.  It's horrible for you in every way.

Every way? Id say its safe in most ways, just addictive. Referring to pure diacetylmorphine, not adulterants. Or rx opioids. What way is it terrible? Alcohol does everything heroin does, but worse. Alcohol apparently increases the chances of opioid use/addiction, based on a study i read

PS i dont even use opioids. Just like 10-15 yrs ago. And only tried heroin once, by sniffing it. Felt like a couple codeine, thats about all. Never used it again.

Also, bupe is great if it helps you, see my comment above.
Most people who say its "worse than heroin" would prefer to get high while they taper. The withdrawal is only worse if you make it worse. That is, you should only stop at like 1mg

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules