Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Knife sharpening? [Re: Shroomism]
    #16216780 - 05/11/12 08:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I use waterstones myself, up to an 8000 grit, I originally got them for
chisels and plane blades but found them indispensable for knives and
now my swords and even my machete

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
Re: Knife sharpening? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #18765488 - 08/27/13 07:32 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Hey pris I know this is an old thread but do you think 600 1000 and 1500 wet dry might work ? :shrug:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Knife sharpening? [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #18766923 - 08/28/13 01:30 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

sandpaper can definitely work well, best to use the automotive type meant for metal

--------------------

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
    #18769761 - 08/28/13 06:24 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
sandpaper can definitely work well, best to use the automotive type meant for metal

Thanks I have several grits of automotive  up to 2500 that I used to finish snowboards just what would the best starter be "the lightest I have is 600 and I do have some 140 around" so which would you choose?

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Knife sharpening? [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #18770833 - 08/28/13 09:51 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Well I'd say depending how dull the blade is, I'd probably start with the grittiest one you have first and work your way up
I would go something like: 140-220, 600, 1200, 2000.. strop. With 2000 you can probably get a mirror edge.
If the blade is already pretty convex you could probably start with 600, but if you need to re-profile it, start with the grittiest

--------------------

Offlinetorpex
Stranger
    #19042911 - 10/27/13 09:38 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I find diamond sharpeners to be the absolute best. Sandpaper really doesn't cut it for a lot of the harder knives.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Knife sharpening? [Re: torpex]
    #19108967 - 11/09/13 03:31 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Sandpaper works fine for a lot of knives.. especially for carbon steel. It's not the best but it gets the job done well enough.
Diamond sharpeners are good.. but if we are talking absolute best.... Japanese water stones all day long :yesnod:

--------------------

Invisibletropidolaemus
Druid
 User Gallery

Loc: Sub-tropical America
    #19116558 - 11/10/13 06:46 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I use what I originally bought as "crok stix" back in the day. 2 sets of sticks 1 ceramic and I am not sure the composition of the other. They sit in a wooden base with 2 separate angles to choose from in order to put a sharp edge on the blade. Been using this type for 30 years and always have razor sharp knives. Just 2 cents

Offlinemannextdoor
The man next door...
 User Gallery
Loc: Europe
Re: Knife sharpening? [Re: tropidolaemus]
    #19125808 - 11/12/13 11:04 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

To sharp every of my knifes I use a wet Stone, called "Belgische Brocken" here in europe. After a few rounds, the knifes are so sharp that you can shave the hairs of your arms away just like using a razorblade. Ok, a lot depends on the "how" you sharp your knives: angel during sharpng and so on. Also, it´s a good idea to polisch the grind of the sharpened knife with a very fine grained stone. I am very happy with this method (but it´s a lot of work) :-)

MND

Invisiblebootster
Male User Gallery
Re: Knife sharpening? [Re: mannextdoor]
    #19247807 - 12/08/13 10:59 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

"vigorous circular motion" :zappa:

I have a couple of one inch sandpaper machines and only use convex knives (except for kitchen knives). I use a slack belt with various degrees of grit. Usually I only touch up a knife and that I do with 60 micron grit sandpaper. You can't tell what side is the back and what side is the abrasive side. You wouldn't think that a grit of such a fineness to it would do anything to metal but the knives that I sharpen are RC 59-63. That's some hard ass steel. It takes me about 30 seconds to get a shaving sharp edge on any of my hunting knives (before the rouge charged up strop). I don't let my knives become dull but some friends have borrowed one of my knives and the cat is out of the bag. I may have to start with something a little more abrasive to true up the edge before i start on the 60 micron but it takes no time at all to get a shaving (or scary) sharp edge.

OfflineSpore-hunterFacebook
lost and found
Male User Gallery

Re: Knife sharpening? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #25416705 - 08/27/18 12:09 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Steel was possibly annealed? :smirk:

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:
"When the AC is running full blast & it's still fucking hot - it's time to shut the window"
- nobody

OfflineMariomushroom
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25433302 - 09/03/18 03:48 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

There is a little tool you can buy for £5 or so, its got 2 magnetic parts that have diamond grit on so you get an even edge on both sides, and as other posters have mentioned stropping the bur off after is essential for a razor sharp finish

--------------------

All my posts are a created by an alter ego

OfflinePhegnomeanon
The Phenomagnome
Male

Loc: SE USA Flag
Re: Knife sharpening? [Re: Mariomushroom]
    #25433348 - 09/03/18 04:06 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I use Arkansas stones got a whole bunch.  The best and easiest technique I’ve ever used is to pretend the stone is wood and you are a slicing off a very thin sliver.  Then hold that angle while pushing the blade backwards

--------------------

Edited by Phegnomeanon (09/03/18 04:08 PM)

Invisiblebootster
Male User Gallery
    #25593504 - 11/05/18 09:40 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Ok guys (and gals), I have found a product that I have waited to try, and I have now found the holy grail of knife sharpeners. I have just used the Lansky Knife Sharpening System.

This system is not a gimmick. It is the easiest, most comprehensive sharpening system I have ever tried. It has brought all of my knives back to a scary sharp state that will impress you when you use it, every time. I was very skeptical at first, and am actually just mad at myself for not trying it sooner. Every time I pull out a knife to test it's sharpness by shaving paper, It just puts a satisfying smile on my face. :smile:

I an really going to go out on a limb here and promise you that this system is the most efficient and easy to use system on the market, that I have tried anyway. I have been trying to perfect the art of freehand sharpening, and while I consider myself good at it, I can't hold a candle to the results I get using the Lansky system. The last stage is to use a leather strop. I actually have one that is part of the Lansky, and it works really well, but I finish up with a large, charged leather strop. By charged, I mean charged with a buffing compound that you rub into the leather that allows the leather to be sort of a polishing compound that really, really finishes the sharpening results to a "scary sharp" result. You won't be disappointed if you buy a Lansky system.

The diamond set is a great set for forming an initial edge, and the regular stones can be utilized to do the intermediate steps of progressively using finer grit stones to get the desired results. I am very, very surprised that I have waited so long to get my knives this sharp with a foolproof system.

Don't wait any longer and invest in a set today, and you can thank me later. Again, this is not a gimmick, and those that know me knows that I wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction. If anyone already uses this system, please tell us how you like it. I am curious as to find out how other members here like their Lansky sets.

This knife is a very, very sharp knife. You can see the uniformity of the edge by the picture. It is aligned perfectly, and finished up on the strop. It is a thing of beauty, and every time I use it, it puts a smile on my face due to how impressive it is when used.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder