Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: clockworkorchid]
    #25573791 - 10/28/18 11:34 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Some big ones there! Not a bad haul for only 15 minutes of picking!

Honestly, I'm kind of flabbergasted at my luck. I've heard the same thing from a bunch of people now... they've looked around the Goulds and came up empty handed. I checked a few fields before stumbling on the one I've been relying on... I almost want to go back and check some of them again, because they were promising, and it'd be nice to have a second option, but for now, I'm just going to continue cleaning out my spot. I didn't get out this weekend so I'm betting this week I'll have some success.

Ate a few last night and had a time! I haven't laughed that hard in ages! :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: nfshroomer]
    #25579282 - 10/30/18 05:29 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Today's report: it was wet. I got out when the showers stopped and had three hours of picking in the sopping wet field. All of the mushrooms were very well hidden today, wet and brown and challenging to spot. I managed to come away with 600 or so. They were HUGE today... it's been 6 days since I hit the field, which I'm sure is part of it, but they were drinking up that water, which I'm sure helped too.

Little darlings were hiding in the brown grass:

A sweet little bouquet:

My picking bowl, full of sticky, wet libs:

The delay since last pick and the rain made for some monsters!

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

#25586530 - 11/02/18 10:48 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

So I hit up my "special field" on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I figured I had gotten most of what I could reasonably get from it in those two days. I ended up with some time yesterday, so instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel at that field, I figured I'd take the time to explore and find a new spot. I felt your pain, guys; I didn't have much luck for about 4 hours, and I explored multiple square KMs of field for sure. The last section of field I checked, I stumbled across three little libs. I'm thinking the warm weather we had impacted the numbers in this particular place as it's very exposed and the grass is not thick there. That said, maybe it was picked over... I did find rubber gloves in three different places in the fields... do either of you guys pick with blue rubber gloves? :smile: This field was also in the Goulds BTW.

Always good to have a backup location, especially one that's well hidden and experiences very little traffic, so I'll be back to check that one out after our next night of cold/frost. Looks like Monday - Wednesday will be good based on those criteria. Wish me luck!

OfflineGoofyNewfy
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25593970 - 11/05/18 01:03 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Me and two other friends went picking yesturday in Kilbride and managed to get 132 grams of wet liberty caps each. All from one field right off the main road. There were a nice few people who honked at us but we were never bothered. I got a few pictures below, before they were dried and after. Put them in a dehydrator so they dried fairly fast. We plan on taking some the weekend to see how potent they are.

All three of us got a bag like this before they were dried.

These are mine dried, they looking good can't wait to try them.

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: GoofyNewfy]
    #25594556 - 11/05/18 06:23 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Nice haul! When I was a young fella, I used to pick at a spot in CBS that basically all of CBS could see... you'd also have to technically be trespassing to pick there (though some folks said the owner was okay with it). These days I'm trying to find places I can pick that are a bit more discreet. My wife says I'm too old to be jumping over people's fences :smile:

At any rate, I'm glad you got those roadside shrooms, better than them going to waste! We ate some last weekend, had 1.5g dry each made into tea; we didn't go to outer space but we had an amazing time! Enjoy!

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

#25596340 - 11/06/18 02:33 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Hi folks! I got out for a pick today and checked my go-to field as well as the one in which I found three little lonely mushrooms the other day. It was the opposite of the last time I picked: everything was dried out. Almost every cap was yellow. I spent half the time I was out picking dead grass and clovers that had dried in place off the caps :smile: Lots of big ones again today too. Leaving them for a week gives me a few giants every time.

I feel like things are starting to slow down. I got good numbers (350-400) but it took me a lot longer than usual to get there. Lots of loners in the field and not as many huge patches that seemed to go on forever. It could be the weather, since it's been weird (hot and cold), but it could be that the season is approaching its end. I can't complain even a little bit about my luck so far. We'll see if the next week brings the flushes back to insane size rather than just really good like it was today.

Anyhow, on to the pics:

One little loner:

A nice little patch:

In this one, you can see how dry most of the mushrooms I saw were:

Drying and printing:

Hope everyone else is still having success!

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

#25609949 - 11/12/18 04:22 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

She's gone b'ys, she's gone. At least around St. John's. I think.

I was out searching new fields when it started snowing on Saturday. We got a bunch of snow that day and again last night, so despite the fact that it had melted, I wanted to get out to check today. I checked my "special field" and all I found were a few old dried ones, just a scattered mushroom that I must have missed last week. I have a feeling the season is over. I'll keep an eye on that field over the next couple of days but I'm just going to be thankful I got what I did. If other folks are out and seeing new growth, I'd love to hear about it!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies