Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineClarnenvilleHunter
Stranger
Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: nfshroomer]
    #25554735 - 10/21/18 07:19 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Hey y'all, anyone know of any spots around the clarenville area? Willing to go as far as Goobies - Port Blandford and anywhere in between
Living in North West Brook there's alot of woods/little tiny trail behind my house so I'll look their first

But any help finding a spot in and around clarenville would be helpful!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrFellah
Wonderer

Loc: Nova Scotia Flag
Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: ClarnenvilleHunter]
    #25556029 - 10/21/18 05:09 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ClarnenvilleHunter said:
Hey y'all, anyone know of any spots around the clarenville area? Willing to go as far as Goobies - Port Blandford and anywhere in between
Living in North West Brook there's alot of woods/little tiny trail behind my house so I'll look their first

But any help finding a spot in and around clarenville would be helpful!

Welcome to the shroomery.

Most people wont tell you spots to look.
Look at your question from the prospective of someone who knows some spots close to you. If you were them, would you want other people picking all of the libs in your spots?

I recommend you just go for a walk through some fields, get some fresh air and check for yourself. It can be pretty rewarding, almost like a treasure hunt.

--------------------

In order to improve and reach your goal, you first must learn when to blame yourself before pointing the finger at others.

Edited by MrFellah (10/21/18 05:10 PM)

OfflineBananaChips
Stranger

Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: Shroomfoundland]
    #25557029 - 10/22/18 05:28 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Finally got some luck yesterday

OfflineClarnenvilleHunter
Stranger
Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: MrFellah]
    #25557246 - 10/22/18 08:06 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

I heard that places where cow patties/farmland is where you looks and/or just general wooded areas

But what should I definitely look for?

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
    #25557560 - 10/22/18 10:36 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Beauties, Bananachips!

You're not looking for wooded areas, Clarenvillehunter, you're looking for fields. Livestock are a good sign that a field might be viable, but my best field is not an active livestock location; what you're looking for is a seldom used section of that field. Libs don't grow directly from cow shit.

OfflineMrFellah
Wonderer

#25557955 - 10/22/18 01:53 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ClarnenvilleHunter said:
I heard that places where cow patties/farmland is where you looks and/or just general wooded areas

But what should I definitely look for?

Libs like fields, especially fields that have had or have live stock on it. They grow from the grass, not from the poop, but they like the nutrients from the poop. In some occasions, liberty caps grow from moss, but not very common. Wooded areas without grass are not where you should be looking.

--------------------

In order to improve and reach your goal, you first must learn when to blame yourself before pointing the finger at others.

OfflineWaveyvibes
Starseed
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: MrFellah]
    #25561056 - 10/23/18 05:55 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Big thanks to nfshroomer for the advice, headed back to my spot previous, walked out today with 43. At one point I looked across the field and they were all sticking out in clusters. The most beautiful thing I've ever seen!

Attaching photos, seemed like most were dry. However as you can see in last photo there were a couple really wet ones (near wet moss). They almost look green and not dark in under and stems seem thicker...possibly not libs, but could be result of wet ? I'm gonna wait and see how they appear tomorrow after drying.

Also, I noticed a handful of very tiny small wet ones growing under the longer grass. Should I give it a week or so and head back to see if they've sprouted more? Thoughts?

Any luck with the rest of you guys? Seems like the forecast is in our favor the next few days!

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: Waveyvibes]
    #25561112 - 10/23/18 06:17 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Woo!

:seriousthumbsup:

I love that feeling when you look out on a big old patch! like, thank you mushroom gods! :smile:

As for those couple of thick ones in the last pic, I found one just like those... thick stipe but a cap that seemed to be right. like yours, mine looked young. I chalked it up to a morphology thing but I left it out all the same. I'm more paranoid than most I think. Next time I see one like that I'll take a few close ups and post about it.

I go back to my field every three days or so. No need to wait a week in my experience. Those little guys will get big quick.

I'm heading back tomorrow, I have a couple of hours of picking and another couple of exploring planned... good times!

OfflineShroomfoundland
Stranger
    #25562771 - 10/24/18 09:25 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

I've been in every field I can find from Torbay to Goulds to Foxtrap. Plain fields, old cow fields, even hung out with some cows in a active field today. And I've still managed to find 0 so far.

Luckily managed to get some from an old spot in central when I was there the weekend, but I have had absolutely no luck in St. John's.

If anyone has any advice I could gladly use some.

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: Shroomfoundland]
    #25563751 - 10/24/18 03:06 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

I'm really sorry to hear that. It can certainly be frustrating when you're spending time wandering that you could be spending picking. Unfortunately there's not much in the way of advice I can give you... we're not supposed to give out spots around here and even if we could, I've only gotten libs from a single field this season. I haven't needed to go past it... as much time as I can spend in that field I'm picking. I feel incredibly lucky given the insane boon I've hauled out of it. The only real suggestion I have is to check some non-standard spots and see how your luck holds up: ball fields, graveyards, etc. Keep your head up, it'll work out!

I almost feel bad about posting my haul from today... it was an incredible day, I smoked a joint of legal weed on my way into my spot (still kinda flabbergasted by that, for us old dudes who grew up in prohibition, whoa nelly, this not looking over your shoulder thing is weird), soaking up the sun. I had a marathon 5 hour picking session... things weren't looking good in my original spot, managed to get about 100, and then I made my way over to the other side of the field, which I had neglected for about a week... it was fucking packed. I'm guessing a bunch of them had been there since before my last pick as they were looking pretty dry. I doubt, given that, that anyone else has been picking this particular spot. I had to stop after 4 and a half hours or so, and it took me another half hour to get out of the field because as I crossed it I had to stop and pick a bunch more.

Some pics:

A pretty little bouquet:

I filled my "picking bowl" 2.5 times :smile:

Over 1100 drying.

Making a few prints:

I figured it'd be good to get some spores. I'm going to germinate them on agar, and if I can get it to colonize (not sure if semilanceata will take to agar the way cubensis does), I'm going to put some mycelium in my backyard. My parents had a shroom patch in their back yard, why not mine too? Libs are basically a lawn mushroom around these parts anyhow :smile:

OfflineWaveyvibes
Starseed
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#25568892 - 10/26/18 10:46 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Woah!!!👏

Amazing haul, and dedication to hunting! Good for you!
I have tomorrow off and it's calling for sun my way, I'm heading back to my spot early tomorrow to make the most of the day. I'm often crunched for time once I'm off work, normally only get about a hour of daylight. I try to make the best of it, luckily nobody in my area is in my field from what I can gather from observing the surroundings. We had a week of rain here, so hoping the little babies I found on tuesday are popping up for me.
Hope I have the luck you've had!🤞

FYI, I discarded the green looking ones in my last post. After reading your ideas on them and seeing them dried they didn't seem right to me, didn't like the vibe so better safe than sorry. Luckily only down about 5 from that

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: Waveyvibes]
    #25569142 - 10/26/18 12:32 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I feel like I won the lottery this year. I've never had a harvest like this... to be fair, this is my first year picking in a long while, but I certainly didn't have a spot like this back in the day. Thank you, Google Maps! Hahaha :smile:

We've got "chance of showers" for tomorrow but if that holds off I'll say I'm going to try to get out for a pick too. I think you're right that the rain will be good for your hunting efforts. We had a couple of days of rain last week and it really got things going here. Fingers crossed for you.

I didn't find one that looked as weird as before, but I did find a few oddballs... hard to pick that many mushrooms and not find a scattered mutant I suppose. I had an eye out for thick stipes, and I did find a couple that were clearly libs based on the cap, but had a stipe that was more robust than their neighbors. Check for the seperable pellicle... the slimy outer layer that's sticky when the mushrooms are wet. If the color looks right, and the gills look right, and you've got an umbo on the top, the seperable pellicle will seal the deal that it's a lib. not much else it could be in thatb habitat and with all the other features, stipe aside. But yes, I'm super paranoid and would probably have just tossed the oddball too :smile:

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
    #25569179 - 10/26/18 12:52 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Those lib pics are beautiful! Wish we had some of those down this way. Guess I'll just have to be satisfied with my ovoids.:mushroom2:

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #25570536 - 10/27/18 12:37 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Cheers, thanks! Know that I'm quite jealous of those ovoids! Liberty caps are fantastic, but they're really all that grows here... supposedly there are cincts and gyms but I've never seen either. I can't complain, all the same!

Invisiblewolfedawwg
Veteran Lib Hunter & Gatherer
Male User Gallery

#25571066 - 10/27/18 09:52 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

nfshroomer said:
supposedly there are cincts and gyms but I've never seen either. I can't complain, all the same!

Should also be Psilocybe quebecensis in your parts as well.....
Nice hauls,
Thx. for sharing.

--------------------
:jah:Easy as Fuck Isopropyl Hash Oil:jah:

Psilocybe quebecensis

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Newfoundland Season 2018 [Re: wolfedawwg]
    #25571427 - 10/27/18 12:36 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I agree that it could grow here, but AFAIK there are no records of it having been found in the province. I'll check with the folks who run the foray to confirm.

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

#25571592 - 10/27/18 01:50 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

FYI, or all of our info I suppose, I checked with the foray crowd. Here are the psilocybes that have been spotted here:

Psilocybe coprophila
Psilocybe montana
Psilocybe phyllogena
Psilocybe semilanceata

I don't know anything about the first three. A quick google tells me that neither of them are active.

The full list can be found here btw:

http://www.nlmushrooms.ca/species_lists/anncum_1.pdf

Edited by nfshroomer (10/27/18 01:51 PM)

Invisiblewolfedawwg
Veteran Lib Hunter & Gatherer
Male User Gallery

#25571853 - 10/27/18 04:13 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

nfshroomer said:
I agree that it could grow here, but AFAIK there are no records of it having been found in the province. I'll check with the folks who run the foray to confirm.

That's what I don't like about..... "What grows wild in my area...."
If nobody has a documented find of it YET, it's obviously not going to be listed as native to your area.
My find of the Ps. quebecensis was the first ever documented in NS that I could see.

--------------------
:jah:Easy as Fuck Isopropyl Hash Oil:jah:

Psilocybe quebecensis

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

#25573399 - 10/28/18 07:45 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Well, to be fair, I did look beyond the Shroomery when looking for records of Ps. Quebecensis... the nlmushrooms.ca site is the home of Foray NL, and their records are much more complete than ours. That said, it's certainly possible that it's out there and the foray guys just haven't stumbled on it yet. New mushrooms are added to the list basically every foray. I'll do my homework so I know what to be looking out for... I'd love to impress the foray guys with a new find! :smile:

Offlineclockworkorchid
curious and curiouser
Female

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada Flag
    #25573413 - 10/28/18 07:52 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Well, last weekend I was blinded by envy of @nfshroomer's amazing haul, so my friends and I drove out to the Goulds and stomped around in a bunch of fields for the whole afternoon and didn't find anything.

So yesterday we went back up to our jackpot spot and managed to scrounge up 72  (give or take a couple). It only took about 15 minutes because our hands were so cold but they were pretty dried out so they were a bit easier to spot.

--------------------

we're all mad here

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom