Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Penn and Teller; Bullshit!
    #2543025 - 04/09/04 12:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Has anyone seen their show on showtime? It?s on at 10pm on Showtime. Their website has a complete list of last season?s topics and the first three topics of this season.

I became turned on to Penn and Teller when i was very young. I wanted to be a magician. Them and David Copperfield were perhaps my favorite magicians. I found and still fine their comedy combined with magic to be delightfully entertaining. They are smart people.

I became turned onto their show merely by accident. This year I got showtime with cable because i?m splitting the cable bill with like 5 people, so personally it?s all really cheap. I was flipping through the channels and caught Penn and Teller?s second season episode on PETA and found that they investigated Bullshit.

Their show, "Bullshit!" operates under the premise "you can?t shit a shitter" and magicians are basically bullshit artists in simplist terms, though we all know they?re bullshitting us and we enjoy it. Nobody actually tries to catch bullets in their teeth or float in the air. In their shows they analyze various topics, such as 2nd Hand Smoke Hysteria, Sex enhancements (not including surgery), Mediums and Psychics, Bottled Water, Diets etc... they employ the use of comedic timing and real credible experts in various fields to achieve deconstructing of arguments and falsify bunco claims.

Does anyone else watch this show?

Penn and Teller are registered libertarians and they are both athiests. And not to mention intense skeptics.

Does anyone watch their show? I?ve just become turned on now in their second season since i didn?t have showtime last season.

edit: which admin editted my post and fixed the thumbnail pictures to link to the real pic and didn?t leave a tag?

Edited by neuro (04/10/04 08:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Penn and Teller; Bullshit! [Re: neuro]
    #2543103 - 04/09/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I really dislike them.

They actually tried to prove that Kennedy was shot by Oswald alone. I swear they work for the government.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Penn and Teller; Bullshit! [Re: Learyfan]
    #2543193 - 04/09/04 01:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I really dislike them.

They actually tried to prove that Kennedy was shot by Oswald alone. I swear they work for the government.

Is that the only reason or is there more? I'm interested in hearing why.

On the kennedy assassination, that's really a touchy subject, but they demonstrated using a semi-skilled marksman using the same rifle in the same depository on Discovery that it is possible for someone to have fired off the # of bullets that were found in kennedy. I'll have to find the show for you. Or if you've seen it, what do you think of it?

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #2543258 - 04/09/04 02:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I caught a magic bullet in my teeth once on a grassy knoll. Oliver Stone captured the whole thing on Hi-8 video. I'll upload it as an mpeg some day. I just have to work out the distribution rights with Oliver's people...

Did you ever see their movie? I think it came out about 15 years ago -- I don't remember its name, as it was a long time ago -- but I do remember, that I liked it! :laugh:

Yeah, I like them. Sorry to hear that they're atheists, but nobody's perfect -- we can't all be agnostics. I do admire atheists, though -- they have a lot of faith, which is something I lack...

PS: If you watch them very closely, you'll notice that it is actually the little guy who does all the talking. It just looks like the big guy's doing the talking. I think it's some sort of like ventriloquist trick. Those crazy magicians... :wink:

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Penn and Teller; Bullshit! [Re: Papaver]
    #2543394 - 04/09/04 02:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

": If you watch them very closely, you'll notice that it is actually the little guy who does all the talking. It just looks like the big guy's doing the talking. I think it's some sort of like ventriloquist trick. Those crazy magicians"
NO WAY! realy? thats purty funny.

OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #2543439 - 04/09/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I like them!!!! Everyone should watch Bullshit.

BitTorrent users, download all the episodes(torrents) here: http://www.suprnova.org/

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #2543440 - 04/09/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I saw one of their shows about people who can contact the dead (medians i think?). It was hillarious.

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Penn and Teller; Bullshit! [Re: whiterabbit13]
    #2543482 - 04/09/04 02:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This is a coincidence, but Penn and Teller just happen to be on Hollywood Squares right now. They're in the upper right-hand corner square. Don't ask me why I'm watching Hollywood Squares. I've just been too lazy to turn off the tv set, and if you repeat this to anyone, I'll deny it...

--------------------

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Penn and Teller; Bullshit! [Re: Papaver]
    #2543876 - 04/09/04 04:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i saw them live once.

it was pretty cool.

as for teller doing all the talking...i dont know about that. Ive herd Penn by himself and it would amaze me if teller could make his voice sound exactly the same.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#2543898 - 04/09/04 04:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't seen any of their shows, but i've seen them talk about things on The History Channel, etc.. I think they also try and debunk the existence of extra terrestrials. Both of those things make them loose all crediblity in my eyes.

It just seems to me that they try and prove the government right on things that I know they aren't right on, which hurts the human race's chances at finding out the truth.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1
    #2544499 - 04/09/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I've been a big fan of Penn and Teller for years now! :laugh: And their "bullshit busting"  makes me respect them all the more. I love to see so-called "Psychics" and/or "Alien Experts" being exposed for the frauds that they are.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2545320 - 04/10/04 12:10 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Pap was just being a smart ass. Teller doesn't actually talk for Penn in a ventriloquist sort of way. I've heard Teller talk before.

Learyfan: Haven't seen the aliens one yet / alien abduction. However it's possible there's no aliens it's possible there are. In my opinion i think if we've found other solar systems then there must be life somewhere. If it follows that solar systems are consequence of galaxies and stars, then perhaps life is consequence of a planet. But we haven't found conclusively that there are aliens yet, unless you're a theorist. But i'd be interested in seeing their show on that one. Maybe i'll watch it in a bit. However you don't have to agree with everything they say. As long as it makes you think critically i think they've done their jobs.

As for proving the government right, i'm curious as to why you think this. What else have they said, other than the Kennedy magic bullet stuff, to try to prove the government right. What other examples do you have?

OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Portland, OR
    #2545925 - 04/10/04 05:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
I really dislike them.

Laeryfan... is that real footage??

Edit: Wow, it is. That's some scary stuff man.

Edited by HidingInPlainSight (04/10/04 05:14 AM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2546489 - 04/10/04 01:22 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Did I mention i love their theme music. The Bullshit Theme song is great. Infact i've been a big fan of all of the music of their shows, even from their Sincity Spectacular.

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#2546493 - 04/10/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You're right, i'm sure P&T will make you think, no matter what you believe. It's just that getting the general public to see that we've been lied to about aliens and JFK is a huge part in possibly causing a shift in consciousness on earth, which is what we need. P&T are helping to keep us in the dark, which I don't like.

I wouldn't be surprised to see P&T do a show on how marijuana actually is a dangerous and terrible drug and how the war in Iraq actually was the best thing we could have done.

LedZep: yes that clip is real. It's from the infamous "Zapruder film". Other, video tapes of the incident from people who were in even better positions to record what happened were confiscated by the feds and never saw the light of day again. Wonder why?

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2546960 - 04/10/04 08:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

>>It's just that getting the general public to see that we've been lied to about aliens and JFK is a huge part in possibly causing a shift in consciousness on earth, which is what we need. P&T are helping to keep us in the dark, which I don't like.

I don't really understand. How do you know for sure we've been lied to about aliens and the JFK assasination? You still haven't responded to my claim about a show on the Discovery channel that took a semi-pro marksman up to the book depository and timed it as well as sent a car drivin the exact same route and had him shoot infrared targets. He did so successfully in the amount of time said that it was impossible for Oswald to have fired 3 shots.

I watched the Alien Abduction episode. Nowhere in their show did they claim that aliens don't exist, instead they explored the world of the alien abduction, from conventions to regression therapy and weirdo's selling books.

They didn't claim that aliens don't exist or can't exist. Nobody can credibly claim that in reasons i mentioned in my last post. If intelligent aliens do exist, the universe is unimaginably huge. Perhaps they're as technologically advanced as us, or less, or more. But chances are even if they're zipping around the universe, there's so many places to go, it's very possible that they haven't been here yet.

Bottom line is, they didn't claim that aliens don't exist, but they were out to get the people that are preying on those who will spend their money for regression therapy, go to these conventions, buy these books that are very unscientific and consist of mostly anecdotal evidence.

The key is to watching wording and intent. Don't get me wrong, I believe aliens exist in some way or another, either as a slime mold on a rock on Rigel 7 or as an intelligent being. But I have seen no real credible evidence that aliens are here, have been here, and that alien abductions are real. Accounts of alien abductions vary so much that i just don't believe witness testimony. One should ALWAYS be somewhat skeptical of eyewitness and anectdotal testimony.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2546997 - 04/10/04 08:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

>>I wouldn't be surprised to see P&T do a show on how marijuana actually is a dangerous and terrible drug and how the war in Iraq actually was the best thing we could have done.

I doubt that, they're registered libertarians, and in addition they're anti-government if you believe that. I've watched them state both that publicly.

I think if anything they'll have a fair and balanced analyzation of the drug war.

I know they don't use drugs cause i've seen them state it, but you don't have to use drugs to be a proponent of drugs. All non-drug users aren't necessarily prohibitionists.

Anonymous

#2546999 - 04/10/04 08:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Damn that wasnt his forehead flappin in the breeze was it. Man I feel bad for her seeing that.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2547240 - 04/10/04 11:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

>Penn and Teller are registered libertarians and they are both athiests. And not to mention intense skeptics.
-older skeptical white athiest males?
I have all the episodes on my computer... I think they are great.

Learyfan:
>I really dislike them.
>I haven't seen any of their shows

>I wouldn't be surprised to see P&T do a show on how marijuana actually is a dangerous and terrible drug
-The episode "War On Drugs" premiers 04/22/04 at 10:00 PM. I give you my personal garuntee that they will expose it for what it is. I can't remember a single time I've disagreed with anything you have said, but in this thread you've made yourself appear as if you don't know what your talking about. Please watch this episode... your perception of P&T as government agents efforting to keep people in the dark may change.

Who else is going to watch the War On Drugs episode?

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Penn and Teller; Bullshit! [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2547794 - 04/11/04 02:17 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I don't know what to say. Neuro, i'm glad that you saw the show about the Kennedy shots. If they used the same type of gun that Oswald did and were at the same angle that he was, then that's swell. There are still many, many, many suspicious things that went on with that incident such as witnesses who smelled gun smoke from the grassy knoll, for me to believe that it was a lone nut.

ShroomHermit: I said that I really don't like them and that I haven't seen any of their shows. I also said that I have seen them on other shows spewing their garbage. I'm sure they will expose the drug war for what it is. I was exaggerating.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub