Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Ten Action Steps to Optimism!
    #2542488 - 04/09/04 09:17 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

1.) Fly with the eagles. Don't run around with the Henny Pennys who are looking up, chanting, "The Sky is Falling!" Optimism and realism go together. They are the problem-solving twins. Pessimism and cynicism are the two worst companions. Your best friends should be individuals who are the "No problem, it's just a little, temporary inconvenience" type. As you help other people in need on a daily basis, also develop an inner circle of close associations in which the mutual attraction is not sharing problems or needs. The mutual attraction should be values and goals.

2.) If you become depressed, visit any one of these four places: a children's hospital, a senior citizen's retirement home, the burn ward at a hospital, or an orphanage. If seeing people worse off than yourself depresses you more, take the positive approach. Take a walk by a playground or park where children are playing and laughing. Catch thier spirit of wonder and adventure. Direct your thoughts toward helping others and renewing your faith. Visit your church or synagogue. Sometimes even a change of location can change your thoughts and your feelings.

3.) Listen to upbeat, inspiring music. When you are getting ready for work or school turn on the radio to a good FM station. Stay away from the morning TV news. You can brief yourself by scanning the news section on the front page of The Wall Street Journal. It will inform you of all you need to know about the international and national situation affecting your life. Read local news for interest concerning your profession and your family. Resist the temptation to waste time reading the sordid details of someone else's tragedies. Listen to music or cassette tapes in your car. If possible, have breakfast and lunch with an optimist. Instead of sitting in front of the TV at night, spend time listening to and being involved with those you love.

4.) Change your vocabulary. Instead of. "I'm worn out," make it, "I'm relaxed, after an active day." Instead of, "Why don't they do something about it?" make it, "I know what I'm going to do." Instead of group griping, try praising someone in the group. Instead of, "Why me, Lord?" make it, "Try me, Lord." Instead of, "The world's a mess," make it "I'm getting my house in order."

5.) "Remember the lobster." At a certain point in a lobster's growth, he discards his outer, protective shell and is vulnerable to all his enemies. This continues until he grows a new "house" in which to live. Change is normal in life. With every change there is the unfamiliar and the unexpected. Instead of going into a shell, become vulnerable. Risk it! Reach inside for faith in things that are unseen.

6.) Get high on yourself. Instead of, "Relief is just a swallow away," think of, "Belief will help you follow the way." The people you associate with, the places you go, the things you listen to and watch, all are recorded in your thoughts. Since the mind tells the body how to act, think the highest and most uplifting thoughts you can imagine. When people ask you why you're so optimistic, tell them you're high. You are on endorphins!

7.) Engage in positve recreation and education. Subscribe to cable TV programs specializing in the wonders of nature, family health, and cultural enrichment. Select the movies and teleivion you watch for their quality and story value rather than their commercial appeal.

8.) Visualize, think, and speak well of your health. Use positive self-talk on a daily basis. Don't dwell on your own small ailments such as colds, headaches, cuts, bruises, muscle pulls, sprains, and minor abrasions. If you pay too much attention to these occurrences they will reward you by becoming your best friends, coming often to pay their respects. What the mind harbors, the body manifests. This is especially important when you are raising children. Focus on the well family, and dwell on health as the usual environment around your house. I have seen more psychosomatic illnesses in homes where the parents dote on and smother their children with undue concern for their health and safety than in any other type of household. I beleive in safety precautions and sound medical practice. I also beleive that "your worst" or "your best" concerns will likely come to pass.

9.) Call, visit, or write someone in need, every day of your life. Demonstrate your faith by passing it on to someone else.

10.) Make sunday "Good Faith" day. Get into the habit of attending church, listening, and sharing. According to the most recent studies on drug abuse among teenagers and young adults, there are three cornerstones in the lives of those young individuals who do not use drugs of any kind: religious belief, family and extended-family relationships, and high self-esteem.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMisterKite
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, QC
Re: Ten Action Steps to Optimism! [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2545653 - 04/10/04 02:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

that's lovely, but i still feel just as bad as i did before. my advice would be to find love. not necessarily a physical love, though that always is wonderful, but just something you feel truly passionately about.

go out and steal something. go street racing. host an orgy. do something out of the ordinary. remind yourself of your existence. don't get too involved with yourself.

--------------------
"But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being