Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Loc: pnw
Vegitarian
    #2542403 - 04/09/04 08:11 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have been thinking about being a vegitarian for a while but im concerned about getting the right amount of protien and i havent really researched the topic much. Im sure there are plenty of vegitarians in the pub though, and people who are against it. so if you guys could just give some tips on what to do for a proper diet, or explain why its not a good idea, that would be awsome

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

Loc: The Garden State(NJ)
Re: Vegitarian [Re: moosehead]
    #2542421 - 04/09/04 08:28 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

That depends on how 'veg' you want to go.Are you going to stop eating red meat,all meat,milk,butter,eggs,seafood? Are you going to stop using products that contain animal parts-leather,glue, etc. ? Is this a moral or health issue? Me personally,I don't eat meat that comes from animals raised for food-pigs,cows,chickens.Anything else is OK by me-milk,eggs,cheese,seafood.MHO

--------------------
"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Re: Vegitarian [Re: vinsue]
    #2542425 - 04/09/04 08:32 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thats pretty much how i feel. Its a health and moral issue with me. I have been trying to avoid any thing thats been made on those huge animal farms that just pack the fuckers in. But i dont think im doing the best job.

Right now i feel i could still go with milk, cheese, yogurt and all taht, chocolate of course. And hmmm, prolly fish too.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2542426 - 04/09/04 08:36 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Me personally,I don't eat meat that comes from animals raised for food-pigs,cows,chickens.

how do you know where the meat comes from?

While I think it's unhealthy to be a vegitarian, i'm sure there are protein suppliments you can take. Just don't be one of them dorks who do it because it's trendy.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Re: Vegitarian [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2542429 - 04/09/04 08:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i never knew it was trendy

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

#2542459 - 04/09/04 09:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I know that almost all pork, beef or chicken sold in local supermarkets comes from food farms. Not much 'free range' animal harvesting going on here.

--------------------
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #2542470 - 04/09/04 09:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've switched to organic meat/game meat myself, for the same reasons. I have several vegetarian friends, I'll ask them for some tips. Anyway I think using soy products is the key, you can replace meat with a soy-based supplement in most dishes, it tastes good too. :tongue:

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

#2542485 - 04/09/04 09:15 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

BTW, plenty of protein in beans,nuts.Also, check out Boca brand, Morningstar,Gardenburger or other makers of meat subs.Somebody makes these fake ribs, my kids even like 'em! :eek:  My veg life style began about 10 years ago when I met my veg old lady. And NO, she is NOT brain-dead in a wheel chair!! :lol: :loveeyes: :blush:

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2542633 - 04/09/04 10:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Not much 'free range' animal harvesting going on here

I just got a new load of Bison from a friend that went hunting recently. All free range, but i will eat any kind of meat.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2542643 - 04/09/04 10:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i never knew it was trendy

it is with a lot of people. They grasp on to a cause until it is no longer chic (the 90's is when vegitarianism seemed to be taken up by alot of people for the cause). Many of them eat meat probably noe.

I can respect a person who decides to be a vegan and actually go through with it. I just believe that moderating is the k3y.

Everyone shouls eat more veggies though.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2542658 - 04/09/04 10:07 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Here, check this site.

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

#2546023 - 04/10/04 08:13 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yah, i can see that. im mostly worried about not getting enough protien if i go through with this.

I think i can realisticly cut back on the meat i eat, But at the present moment i dont think i could be an all out vegitarian (not vegan) and still eat healthy.If some one bagged a bison like your friend did i may have to help finish it off, cant let it go to waste :wink:

OfflineRussCan
phalaris smoker
Loc: Stockton,Ca.
    #2546379 - 04/10/04 12:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You are what you eat.I don't see how people who trip can even consider eating dead animals.Ayahuasca shows us that everything that breathes has a soul.When you enter the Spirit realm you have to deal with the souls of the animals you have eaten.

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Loc: vermont
Re: Vegitarian [Re: RussCan]
    #2546852 - 04/10/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well I have been vegetarian for a LONG time and in the past few months have switched to being vegan. A vegetarian doesn't eat any meat, seafood, poultry, etc... a vegan doesn't eat any animal or animal by products (which includes dairy, eggs, honey and anything that used animal by products to make - such as certain beers, refined sugar, etc).

I'm not sure where everyone got the idea of not having enough protein in their diet. We get PLENTY of protein - more than we even need. Even if you are still worried about protein, B vitamins and omega's, you can replace it with nuts, tofu (any soy protein really), dark leafy greens (great for B vitamins) and flax seed or hemp seed (all the omegas you need).

There are also vitamins - you should always take a vitamin even if you're not on a vegetarian diet. Just if you are vegetarian - make sure they are not in gelatin capsules (gelatin is made from the cartiliage in pigs and horse).

Personally - I am disgusted at what is in the average American diet and how it gets on our plate. I have read a LOT of information from various sites and it has been proven that a vegetarian diet is by far the HEALTHIEST diet possible.

Here's another thought - they say milk does a body good. Let's think again. Not only are you drinking a glass full of puss and hormones - you are also drinking a nutrient filled drink that is meant for a baby calf - not a human. Would we feed a calf human's milk? No of course not. Do you see ANY other animal in nature that drinks the milk from another spiecies? Nope - it's not natural.

Also - milk can cause osterperosis. Why? Because even though it does contain tons of calcium - what those milk mustache ads don't tell you is that because of the animal protein that is in cow's milk - it actually extracts the calcium from your body and you end up pissing out even more calcium than that glass of milk contained.

Unfortuantely - the food industry is ran by people who are only concerned with money. They do not look at our food as a healthy and nutritional thing - they look at it as PROFIT. So inorder to get profit - they will do the bare minimum to make sure you are getting the right stuff. If it means to hide the truth - they will do that too. They aren't really lying - but you aren't getting all the facts.

It's a wonderful lifestyle. I feel like a much better person for being vegan. I believe I am living a much more compassionate life. A healthy one as well.

www.goveg.com has some great facts but they are affiliated with PETA and I am aware many people dislike PETA. I can supply you with other informational sources if you'd like.

I don't believe there is a "trend" in being a vegetarian. Right now the rate of new vegetarians per year is about 1% - that doesn't seem like a lot but it is!! These are not 1 month vegetarians either. People are becoming more educated and aware of their health - and being vegetarian is proven to reduce your risk for heart disease, diabetes, cancer and even alzhiemers disease.

--------------------
Fuck Ted Nugent he?s a fucking jerk
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he
Forgot how to write a song

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2547248 - 04/10/04 11:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hey. That site I posted has info on how to get protein as a vegetarian.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Vegitarian [Re: enotake2]
    #2547281 - 04/10/04 11:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It depends on how much protein you need. If you work out quite often and need 1.5g/kg body weight then being a vegetarian or vegan is very hard.

Also some studies have shown and from experience I believe soy increases estrogen production in men. Many begans/vegetarians I have known are balding or queer acting. Most people in the local health food store are freakin pansies which is caused by increased estrogen.

Ever since I started eating meat meat four years ago I've had increased energy and a more aggressive personality which is required being a true male.

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Re: Vegitarian [Re: cb9fl]
    #2547349 - 04/10/04 11:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It's extremely easy to avoid eating soy products. breast cancer runs in my family and i limit my soy intake to maybe 2 meals a week if at all that.
an aggressive personality is not really a perk... i'm sorry but that's a little disturbing.
meat is not healthy - it's been proven. in our history - we were hunters and gatherers. meat was rarely in our diet considering it was hard to catch - we mainly were gatherers. our protein came from nuts.
most plant foods contain protein and it would be extremely hard to be a vegetarian and have a lack of protein. too much dietary protein can lead to health problems.
ways to get protein is from grains, pulses (beans), seeds, nuts and vegetables. vegetarian diets usually meet or exceed protein requirements. they are infact lower than a meat diet however a low protein diet is beneficial because a high protein intake has been associated with osteoporosis and triggers poor or failing kidney functioning.
as far as soy being bad for men - that's currently unknown. it is known to be very beneficial but also they are uncertain as to the long term impact it has on men. so what is the answer? MODERATION. It's extremely easy to have a vegetarian and vegan diet without soy.

if you do consider becoming vegetarian (I won't say vegan because I must admit it's extremely hard to become one and stay with it - it takes a lot of knowledge and you need to be very educated on what goes in your mouth and how it's made) - PLEASE PM me and I will give you some delicious recipes and quick meal ideas. I just found this great vegetarian "chicken noodle soup"... there is just so much out there it's a very exciting diet and it also opens you to new spices and new tastes that you would not have tried if you were still in the "meat & potatos" lifestyle.

I know it's hard to get the idea that eating meat is "good" for you out of your head. You were probably raised in a meat eating family and you really did not have a choice on what goes on your dinner plate for the first (and very crucial) years of your life.
Here is a quick reason for becoming vegetarian or vegan:
"The only two researchers in human history who have successfully reversed heart disease, by far America's biggest killer, have included an exclusively vegetarian diet as a part of their programs. On the Dr. Dean Ornish and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn programs, patients become "heart attack proof" (to quote Dr. Esselstyn, in the August 1999 issue of the American Journal of Cardiology) by getting their cholesterol levels to below 150 (the average vegan cholesterol level is 128), the level below which no one has ever been documented as having died from a heart attack. And people who consume animal products are also 40 percent more susceptible to cancer, and at increased risk for many other illnesses, including stroke, obesity, appendicitis, osteoporosis, arthritis, diabetes, and food poisoning. Additionally, meat contains accumulations of pesticides and other chemicals up to 14 times more concentrated than those in plant foods."

"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." -- Albert Schweitzer

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Re: Vegitarian [Re: Delyrium]
    #2547353 - 04/10/04 11:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

btw - cb9fl - your statement is very offensive. Soy does NOT make someone act like a "queer".

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Vegitarian [Re: Delyrium]
    #2547456 - 04/11/04 12:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well in my experience it does. I really don't care about how offensive something is I just care about how it affects me and how I can properly describe it.

If a person decides to become a vegetarian that's their choice and I agree with their ability to decide.

Personally I know my place in the food chain and take advantage of it but I don't feel 'better' than a person that chooses to be a vegeterian.

BTW: I know it doesnt't directly effect this thread but I understand being gay is wrong. If you believe in evolution then you would realize that procreation is supported by male/female sex not same sex coupling. And if you believe in god you would understand that HE created humans to have male/female sex not some perverse same sex coupling.

PS. My teeth are designed to eat meat, therefore I will.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Edited by cb9fl (04/11/04 12:39 AM)

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Re: Vegitarian [Re: cb9fl]
    #2547508 - 04/11/04 12:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Oh geez - okay - well yes - enjoy your meat and your idea of being in your place on the food chain.

another reason for not eating meat (unless you actually go out and use your "manly" gun to shoot an innocent animal in the head by yourself) is that because of all the factory farming that is used to produce the meat you consume... the environment is going to hell. Factory farming uses so much energy and water that suppose you and I lead the same lives, environmentally, but you eat steak twice a week and I don't. I would have to leave my kitchen tap running all the way open and my car idling 24 hours a day, seven days a week, just to keep our environmental balance sheet even. And that's just the beef.

there is a lot more to this vegetarian thing than just the health benefits.

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Hemp

Community >> The Pub