Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesauroman1
Emrys

Loc: Shangrila
Hericium erinaceus logs attacked by green mold
    #25410061 - 08/24/18 03:38 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Hello. I noticed on oak largest log I inoculated with lions mane mycelium dowels appearing white patches with green mold in center (which looks like trichoderma that also contaminated cube jars) from crevices in the bark. Log was placed under trees where most of the day is shaded and more hummid, I expected that would help hericium grow faster but created good conditions for mold too. For month I did nothing. Yesterday I decided to put log in full Sun hoping UV and dehydration would stop mold. Is it still possible to save lions mane log?

--------------------
"You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms.” ― Terence McKenna

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescarabaeus
Stranger

Re: Hericium erinaceus logs attacked by green mold [Re: sauroman1]
    #25410135 - 08/24/18 04:23 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I have never had trich problems with logs. The outdoor environment combined with the mycelium's natural defenses should not allow for trich to proliferate. Personally, I would not try to force a fix for your problem by putting the logs in direct sunlight, as this will probably hurt the mycelium as much as the mold. I keep my logs (mostly shiitake) under several huge tree-like rhododendron bushes and they do fine with minimal care.

Did you seal the ends of your logs with wax? If not, eventually white rings of mycelium should form -always a good sign. If your logs reach this point of development you should be good to go even if there is some mold on the bark. Post a picture if possible -maybe your situation is not as bad as you imagine. Hope this helps and good luck!

InvisibleTits on a bull
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hericium erinaceus logs attacked by green mold [Re: scarabaeus]
    #25410142 - 08/24/18 04:27 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

How long did you wait before putting in pegs?

--------------------
Stop talking about being enlighten. Crybabies, bitches, and people worried about ratings can never reach enlightenment!  NEVER!

Offlinesauroman1
Emrys

Loc: Shangrila
Re: Hericium erinaceus logs attacked by green mold [Re: scarabaeus]
    #25416490 - 08/27/18 11:56 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Here are some photos. Sides exposed to Sun seemed to have bleached mold but there was also rain which increased mold growth underside. Actually I used gypsum instead of wax what I realize only now was mistake since it crumbled over time. I suspect that dowels could have been contaminated with trich because I had outbreak on cubensis cakes too. I cut fresh oak branch, left it for recommended time to mortify and inoculated in early spring 2017.

--------------------
"You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms.” ― Terence McKenna

Edited by sauroman1 (08/27/18 12:01 PM)

InvisibleThe Common Man
The peasantry

Loc: most of the world
Re: Hericium erinaceus logs attacked by green mold [Re: sauroman1]
    #25416734 - 08/27/18 02:24 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

well it seems you've pinpointed your problem....gypsum and not wax...that will allow for contams to enter!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms