Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
wispy white cotton ball fluffy happy land
    #2540895 - 04/08/04 07:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Here's the deal,
I've got a couple of "Allen" strain (from Thailand, I've been told) cakes with a bit of an unusual history. I'm a rookie, and used the old pf tek brf/verm formula which I think is a 2:1 verm to brf ratio (the new simple minds tek calls for 140ml verm to 40ml brf, I believe). I also smacked the jars down a bit to tighten up the substrate, another practice the newer tek seems to frown upon. And as a final act of foolishness, I used too much water in the mix as well. I didn't build an incubator and kept the jars in my closet at room temp (maybe 66 degrees Farenheit). They took forever to colonize, but I didn't need them right away so I just let them mind their own business. Probably three months, no lie, and they were fully colonized, but still weren't pinning. I birthed them about five days ago in a terrarium with the proper humidity, and have been misting and fanning regularly. I have a light set up above them, primarily to provide a little extra heat. Now, what's happening is that the mycelium which originally colonized the substrate is a little dense and hard and has a uniform surface contour all around (from being in the jar). Now what's happening is very bright white, wispy mycelium is starting to grow on top of the older, more developed and cohesive mycelium structure. The new mycelium is fluffy like cotton balls and is spreading fast and looks much more porous than the colonized cake mycelium. And I've never seen such bright white before-it's beautiful. Now I'm guessing, but all signs seem to suggest that this new growth is the most healthy mycelium I have ever been able to produce (still no pins yet). Preliminary Question: like I said, I'm in no rush. Will it eventually pin, or must I cold shock it if I still haven't seen pins a week or two after birthing? Now here's my main question: I've had two casing attempts in the past which went sour with contams. BUT, I feel like the speed and apparent health in which this new mycelium is growing makes it a prime candidate for casing. I guess my question is when and how? (I know, I know, read the FAQ). I'm keeping one in cake form and might try to case it after the first flush, but I think this is the best opportunity I've had for a sucessful casing campaign. It seems like all I need to do is throw some verm/brf substrate into a cake pan, grate up one of the fluffy, bright white cakes right away, spead it out, and it will grow like hell. BUT, both times I tried to case before I used a tek which called for a verm only base with crumbled colonized cakes on top, and they became contaminated. In retrospect, I don't understand this tek- what was the mycelium supposed to feed on? Verm alone is non-nutritive, right? Wouldn't a couple inches of brf/verm/water mix in a high-walled pan seem to make more sense since that is what the original mycelium was able to grow so well on? I'd appeciate any suggestions- I've always liked keeping things simple, so I'd appreciate it if you could suggest a can't-miss casing tek out there using something I can find in the horticulture department or around the house (I have a fantastic composting pile, but I live in the Northeast, and so it's still pretty cold here and the compost hasn't had a chance to heat up this season, BUT, it's been going for over five years now, so if I dig deep down for some old composted soil, would that be something I could case in [in a controlled indoor environment])?

Mucho Amor,
matt

p.s.-never dunked before. should I maybe dunk the one I plan on keeping as a cake in a tub of water and put it in the fridge for 12 hours to accomplish a simultaneous cold shock?

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnjing
journeyman

Re: wispy white cotton ball fluffy happy land [Re: matt66]
    #2540906 - 04/08/04 07:53 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Paragraphs are good.

OfflineThatDaltonGuy
PermanentlyFried
Loc: USA
    #2540974 - 04/08/04 08:14 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

sounds like ur mycelium or dormant... try shocking it... cold shocks usualy work good... all thats happening now is ur mycelium is frozen, it has nutrients and is ready to fruit it just needs a kick in the butt, a cold shock will work wonderfuly.

--------------------
Let me remind you that the above text is completely false and has been typed to you by an escaped mental patient and shouldn't be taken seriously unless you yourself also have a mental condition. These kind of things need to be taken into consideration by those viewing these threads.

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
    #2540982 - 04/08/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yea, use paragraphs in the future if you want help. When colonizing, 66 F is way too low. At least wrap the container with your jars in a blanket or something. Even a few degrees higher at that low of temperature will make a considerable difference.

If you do case, using a BRF/verm substrate would just make you more prone to contaminants. Did you put the top verm layer over you crumbled cakes? This makes it sound like you didn't: "BUT, both times I tried to case before I used a tek which called for a verm only base with crumbled colonized cakes on top, and they became contaminated."

Just be as clean in your procedures as possible. Make your casing right after taking a shower, use air sanitizer liberally in the room, sterilize your verm in either a PC or the microwave, and put the cakes directly into a ziplock bag, seal in, then crumble. I haven't tried it, but it seems like grating your cakes would just be more contaminate prone, so you shoudl just worry about keeping things simple.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix