Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBruce3
Stranger

Loc: some where over the rainb...
heating fruiting chamber
    #2539124 - 04/08/04 12:30 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

i have a fruiting chamber using perlite and my room is around 62-65f so i was wondering if there would be any problems with having a fish tank heater directly on the perlite, i was thinking that this would help with humidity and keep the chamber warm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: heating fruiting chamber [Re: Bruce3]
    #2539323 - 04/08/04 01:16 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It would probably be a good idea to add a drain hole at bottom of your chamber in order to drain the excess water that will undoubtably condensate on the inside walls due to the low temps outside the chamber.

This will also benefit you by allowing you to drain CO2 that will collect in the bottom of the chamber.

--------------------

Offlinebogart
handsomestranger

Loc: Uncertain, but I know my ...
    #2540271 - 04/08/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yep , you're right. You want to raise those temps a bit, I have mine in a spare bedroom with about those sames temps, and the perlite would not maintain the humidity. I put a fluorescent light on top of the Rubbermaid bin I use, and it raised temps just enough, now I am at 72-76 degrees, and I can see condensation on the walls of the bin. I sort of hit two birds with one stone on that one. Not to hijack the thread, but are there any considerations useing 24 hour light on the shroomies? I know they're not photoperiod sensitive, but is 24 hours of light too much?

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: heating fruiting chamber [Re: Mykey]
    #2541986 - 04/09/04 12:34 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mykey said:
It would probably be a good idea to add a drain hole at bottom of your chamber in order to drain the excess water that will undoubtably condensate on the inside walls due to the low temps outside the chamber.

This will also benefit you by allowing you to drain CO2 that will collect in the bottom of the chamber.

What??

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
    #2542101 - 04/09/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Don't put the heater directly on perlite! The heater will likely break and you could even start an electrical fire! The heater needs to be in water, as has been said.

http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm

Do something like that. Get some tubing or hose like what would be used for a cool mist or something, and run it from a low spot on the inner container through holes and to a low(er) spot on the outer container. Put the holes/tubing above the water level and stuff them with polyfil or something.

Now you have a heated grow chamber that allows for both active and passive CO2 expulsion.

Water will still condense on the top but you could just tilt the container slightly to make the water run off the top down the sides and back to the perlite.

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix