Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Ginge]
    #25381089 - 08/11/18 07:39 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

You can test your LC however you want. But if you made the LC from spores it's got a (in my opinion/experience) 50/50 chance of being bad right off the bat

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGinge
Sponge Brain
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25381124 - 08/11/18 07:59 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Fortunately I started from agar, all samples were naked eye clean and nearly 100% colonized, leaving little room on the exposed area for contams. Though there are many other vectors, myself and technique being the most dangerous ones I am sure.  I will knock up those BRF cakes and refrigerate the cultures until I verify that they are clean.  Thank you.

--------------------
Ginge

Invisibleaudiosnipez
Sir BIgglesworth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: West
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Ginge]
    #25381263 - 08/11/18 09:18 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hey BOD I have a LC question for you as well because this my first time doing it.  I learned the hard way not to inoculate LC with a MS syringe.  Below I have three different LC recipes inoculated with agar wedges. The one on the far left was only done a few days ago so my question pertains to the two jars on the right.

When I look below the water line it looks like the growth is just in like a disc around the original wedge. How do I draw up the mycelium man? Do I have to wait till it grows off the wedge and into the liquid or should I try and breaking  that big chunk up somehow? I am betting my problem is patience again but describe for a noob what the end stage looks like before aspirating into a syringe.

Thanks for your time man ... big fan :bow2:

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: audiosnipez]
    #25381642 - 08/11/18 01:21 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Can't really tell much of anything by looks from a LC. Unless it's clearly bad.

I pour my LC right into grain jars. Skipping the syringe. I use glass on the bottom and shake to break up mycelium

OfflineJakeoncid419
Follow me.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Basel Switzerland
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25386387 - 08/13/18 07:02 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Where can I get those agar bottles you recommend in your agar tek?

--------------------
Natural omt/detox
online  pant cult classes available last Saturday of every month go to buymeacoffee.com/jakeoncid to sign up (1 on 1 consultations also available
JOC PAN TEK
CORDYCEPS MILITARIS

EXOTICS
[

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Jakeoncid419]
    #25386488 - 08/13/18 07:53 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Internet retailers. Amazon

OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

#25387761 - 08/14/18 12:51 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Strains are what you get when two spores mate.
Varieties are the name on a syringe.
There infinitely many strains of every variety
Variety doesn't matter strain does
Growing from spores you have 100s of strains in a single grow.
Some mushrooms will be made of many strains
Some mushrooms will be strong some weak.
Every time you grow from spores you'll get different results even from the same spore syringe.
Jist pick one, using agar is how you keep good strains around

Bodhista -

Thank you for the info

Whats the best in your opinion for a first effort?  B+ / Ecuador / PSE Amazon / PE ?

Also - I am going to try your TEK after this grow (I saw your thread too late) but for this grow what do you think about my last post? 

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25362066

OfflineMycoMora
Stranger
Martha tek [Re: Proton_California]
    #25387853 - 08/14/18 01:30 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Bodhisatta, i was just wondering if your unBODified tub tek could be used in a grow tent type system. Your tek seems pretty hands off so it might not even be necessary. Also if using your tek in a grow tent isn't particularly beneficial, do you have a good Martha tek or know of a trusted tek i could look for? I'm interested in trying an automated grow.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Martha tek [Re: MycoMora]
    #25388141 - 08/14/18 03:34 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Proton_California said:
Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Strains are what you get when two spores mate.
Varieties are the name on a syringe.
There infinitely many strains of every variety
Variety doesn't matter strain does
Growing from spores you have 100s of strains in a single grow.
Some mushrooms will be made of many strains
Some mushrooms will be strong some weak.
Every time you grow from spores you'll get different results even from the same spore syringe.
Jist pick one, using agar is how you keep good strains around

Bodhista -

Thank you for the info

Whats the best in your opinion for a first effort?  B+ / Ecuador / PSE Amazon / PE ?

Also - I am going to try your TEK after this grow (I saw your thread too late) but for this grow what do you think about my last post? 

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25362066

They're all the same stuff. It's like different hair colors. I might have better luck with a blonde you might like a brunette. Some brunettes can be dumb some blonds can be smart. You get random results from spores so pick any variety you want.

Quote:

MycoMora said:
Hey Bodhisatta, i was just wondering if your unBODified tub tek could be used in a grow tent type system. Your tek seems pretty hands off so it might not even be necessary. Also if using your tek in a grow tent isn't particularly beneficial, do you have a good Martha tek or know of a trusted tek i could look for? I'm interested in trying an automated grow.

Sure just do the tent setup without the tent lol.

I think you're misunderstanding the whole thing. The Martha/tent/GH are far less automated. Filling humidifiers, dialing them in, cleaning them weekly so they don't get funky, cleaning humidifiers as well, accidentally have a spore drop then it's take shit out and clean again. Tubs are eaiser to clean.

Tubs don't have a humidifier to fill and clean

Tubs don't have a lengthy dial-in setup period, unless you get lucky with your tent/Martha/GH you probably will need to adjust shit constantly until it's just right then the season will change.

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Speaking of set and forget this tub was neglected 19 days no human interaction
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25288835
Quote:

Captain Shadow said:
:thumbup: @ Day 19

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
MS PESA tub, the clone hunt.
Totally neglected never once did shit to it.

Made 7/23.
Harvested 8/7

15 days after spawning I'm harvesting.

5q of spawn. My guess is 4-5 dried. I'll get a number after lunch time

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
172 dry grams from that pesa tub from a couple posts up(previous quote)

Basically a gallon bag cram packed.

Here is the tub I did one day after

7/24 harvested today 8/8
15 days spawn to fruit
100% neglected 0 misting or otherwise.

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I get 1-1.5 oz per quart of spawn from MS. And my first flushes are this dense. I harvest 14-16 days from spawning. And I completely neglect them sometimes. Especially recently.

I really can't wait to show off RW in them. I think they're going to be ridiculous.

Meanwhile every automatic setup I see looks puts out first flushes that look like my second flushes.

OfflineDustinBailey12345
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25388638 - 08/14/18 07:30 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

This guy is dope

OfflineMycoMora
Stranger
Re: Martha tek [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25388848 - 08/14/18 09:03 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Wow thanks for clearing that up for me. I've never grown before, but im trying to learn as much as I can. I plan on buying my first syringe and a grow kit on friday. I know, everyone is against kits but its the best option for my current situation. I plan on moving to tubs ASAP. For now, its Shroomsupply.com kits. Anyways, I greatly appreciate you setting me straight about grow tents, I never would've considered how much extra work goes into dialing everything in. I'm amazed at the results of some of those ignored tubs you shared. Any last minute advice for a newb about to start his first kit? Sorry for writing so much, but from what I hear you're one of the best sources of info for new and and experienced growers alike.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Martha tek [Re: MycoMora]
    #25388883 - 08/14/18 09:15 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Kits :shrug:
Gas station scratch offs you win some you lose some

OfflineBrain Bulb
Insane in the Membrane
 User Gallery

#25389519 - 08/15/18 07:00 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Bodhisatta.  Your “How to” lists are great.  Just started going through them but will study up before trying my hand at cultivation.  Really want to get that Weilii growing but realize it will be a process.

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Brain Bulb]
    #25389655 - 08/15/18 08:32 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Glad to hear it

Weilii is actually P.caruelescens.
Or if you want to say p.caruelescens var weilii for any found in Georgia that's fine.
Weilii doesn't exist, Paul staments fucked that up, but he has historically been terrible at taxonomy. Also pretty tacky with the way he names things, but that's another story.

OfflineMoonmartian
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25389742 - 08/15/18 09:23 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hey bod for the 32 QT tub how much spawn and coir would be a good ratio. I have about 3 lbs rye colonizing right now but unsure of how much coir to use in that size tub. Thanks!

OfflineGinge
Sponge Brain
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Moonmartian]
    #25390815 - 08/15/18 06:21 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Moonmartian said:
Hey bod for the 32 QT tub how much spawn and coir would be a good ratio. I have about 3 lbs rye colonizing right now but unsure of how much coir to use in that size tub. Thanks!

Hey man, I am no Bod! But, I would recommend you think in volume not weight.  If your 3 lbs of spawn is 3 qts, which is about what I have experienced, I would recommend 3-6 quarts of substrate. A 1:1 or 1:2 ratio.  I say this because you will have faster colonization times, and should help reduce your contamination risks. 

My buddy and I went 56 qt mono for our first try with an aprox. 1:4 for 2 tubs.  Both got mold.  We went to Bod's shoebox tech and 1:1 spawn/sub and got 6 tubs to 90% plus with no contamination. 

I am pretty sure Bod says 1:1 or 1:2 but I couldn't find the quote.

--------------------
Ginge

InvisibleSunnyDayze
Finder of shrubberies
Female User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Moonmartian] * 1
    #25390894 - 08/15/18 06:58 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Moonmartian said:

This should help you out!

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
I see many people asking for spawn and substrate amount recommendations for a given tub, or what size tub to use for a given amount of spawn. It's just a bit of math, so bear with me. The qt or gal rating of your tub is not what is important when making these determinations, but rather the dimensions of the base of said tub. Granted, tubs of similar volumes will be close, but can still vary greatly depending on the height.

1 U.S. qt is 57.75 cubic inches. We fill our qts 2/3-3/4 full, giving us roughly 38-45 cubic inches per qt, depending on how full we load them. I load my jars closer to 3/4 full, so for our example (and the sake of simpler math), we'll use 45 cubic inches per qt for our volume.

The tubs I like to use, have length and width dimensions of 12"×10",giving us the area of the base of the tub at (12×10=)120 square inches. This means that for each inch of substrate, there will be a volume of 120 cubic inches. Multiply this by the number of inches of substrate you want to shoot for, to get the total volume needed for that depth: I like my substrates about 2.5" thick, so we'll use this figure as well. 

Now we have all of the information we need to set up our formula:

B: Area of base in square inches(length×width)
D: Depth of substrtate in inches
Q: Estimated volume per qt based on fill level
N: Number of qts of total substrate needed

(B×D)÷Q= N

(120×2.5)÷45= 300÷45= 6.66

So for a substrate depth of 2.5", in a tub 12"×10", we need 6.66 (3/4 full)qts total substrate ( we'd use 7), and we still need to determine how much of that is spawn, and how much is substrate mix.

Popular spawn to substrate mix ratios range from 1:1-1:4, I like 1:1 ratio. In a 1:1 ratio there are 2 parts: 1 part spawn, and 1 part substrate mix. We then apply this to our 7qt total requirement:

7÷2= 3.5qts per part

We don't use half qts, and it's best to have more substrate mix than spawn, so we'd use 3qts spawn,and 4qts substrate mix (I use straight coir).

What if we wanted a 3" thick substrate, at a ratio of 1:3 in the same tub though!?! Simply plug the information into our formulas:

(120×3)÷45= 360÷45= 8

So we need  8 (3/4 full)qts total substrate, and we still need to determine how much of that is spawn, and how much is substrate mix. At a 1:3 ratio, there are 4 parts: 1 part spawn, 3 parts substrate. We then apply this to our 8qt total substrate requirement:

8÷4= 2qts per part

1 part spawn × 2qts per part= 2qts spawn
3 part substrate mix × 2qt per part= 6qts substrate mix

So for a substrate depth of 3", in a tub 12"×10", at a 1:3 spawn to substrate mix ratio, we'd use 2qts spawn, and 6qts substrate mix.

When going the other direction, and trying to  figure out what size tub to use for a given amount of substrate, you just switch the formula up a bit:

(N×Q)÷D= B

or using our prior examples:

(6.66×45)÷2.5= 120
      &
(8×45)÷3= 120

So with a substrate depth of 2.5 inches, using 7 total (3/4 full)qts of spawn and substrate mix, or a substrate depth of 3", using 8 total (3/4 full)qts of spawn and substrate mix,  we'd need a tub with a base area of 120 square inches. Any tub who's length×width gives you an area in this ball park will do. 12×10, 11×11,9×13,or 14×8.5 just to give a few examples.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit. This will be a work in progress, and will later include metric measurements, and conversions for bags.

--------------------

OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

#25391279 - 08/15/18 10:15 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ginge said:
Quote:

Moonmartian said:

Hey man, I am no Bod! But, I would recommend you think in volume not weight.  If your 3 lbs of spawn is 3 qts, which is about what I have experienced, I would recommend 3-6 quarts of substrate. A 1:1 or 1:2 ratio.  I say this because you will have faster colonization times, and should help reduce your contamination risks. 

My buddy and I went 56 qt mono for our first try with an aprox. 1:4 for 2 tubs.  Both got mold.  We went to Bod's shoebox tech and 1:1 spawn/sub and got 6 tubs to 90% plus with no contamination. 

Your first try got mold due to tub size?  Or the ratio was off...?

Either way, why would those two factors affect mold risk %?

InvisibleSkipio
Hunchback
 User Gallery

Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Proton_California]
    #25391300 - 08/15/18 10:23 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Proton_California said:
Quote:

Ginge said:
Quote:

Moonmartian said:

Your first try got mold due to tub size?  Or the ratio was off...?

Either way, why would those two factors affect mold risk %?

Think of it like Starcraft (or some similar game): the more enemies you start off with, the harder it's going to be to secure resources (and, presumably, dominance).

(It may not be a perfect metaphor but it should give you an idea of how to look at things.)

OfflineArzeo
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Skipio]
    #25391397 - 08/15/18 11:37 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I'm looking to buy a spore print but cannot use the marketplace, do you know anyone who would sell me one instead of using sponsors?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom