Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGeinstein
Shroomery addict
Male User Gallery

Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: stareatclouds]
    #25389198 - 08/15/18 02:33 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Super boss mode ! ! !

--------------------

Nothing breads nothing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: stareatclouds]
    #25389679 - 08/15/18 08:42 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
it's the same as opening a grain jar in open air and trying to g2g

And that's the story of me learning the difference between exposed grain being mixed to CVG and mixed to uncolonized grain. :lol:

flyhigh,

I'm not an expert at slants, but I've used them enough times to offer some advice. In general, there's no "correct" way to use a technique as everything comes down to doing what works best for you.

I personally hold open items like slants, plates, and other vulnerable items at angles or sometimes upside down. Similarly, when I uncap or remove lids from certain items, I'll use it to shield the open portion the best I can. I feel like it gives falling contaminants less of a chance to float down into stuff, although it might not matter much with how tiny, abundant, and weightless shit is in there. I work in an SAB as well. Unlike I've seen others do, I never set down caps or lids to shit that I plan on using again.

With slants specifically, here's the best I can describe my technique:

After wiping everything down, I loosen the slant enough to where it's still on, but won't require strength or grip to twist the rest off. Sometimes I just balance it on stuff, others I'll use a slant tube holder I got online.

Flame sterilize, grab wedge. With wedge on scalpel, I kind of rotate it from my standard grip (holding very end of handle like a pencil with thumb, index, middle) so it faces the opposite way and is now only between my middle and index finger (like a cigarette). Now I have my thumb totally free and my the tip of my index somewhat free. Using these 2 fingers, I pick up the slant from the bottom (scalpel + wedge still in hand).

Now with my free left hand, I use my pinky and bottom/side of my palm to grip and hold the cap while I twist the slant off with the right. Once it's off, I hand it off to my left index/thumb at an angle. The pinky is holding the cap, facing downward, while the is above it to the right, angled outward. Then I transfer.

Once it's transferred, it's basically reverse. I rotate the scalpel back to the cigarette position, grab the slant tube with right thumb/index, and bring it back under the cap and twist it on securely.

After typing all that, I should've just taken pictures. Let me know if it doesn't make sense.

Wow I really appreciate the detailed response, that definitely made sense. I like your method much better than just inoculating them up-right or having to set down the cap. I'm gonna try a couple practice rune using your sterile tek, and try to get it down before I gotta do the real thing. I really appreciate the help :cheers:

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: flyhighfunguy]
    #25389684 - 08/15/18 08:48 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

No worries. I think I need to transfer to a slant later this morning. If I don't fall asleep first, I'll try and record it for you.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25389704 - 08/15/18 08:58 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
No worries. I think I need to transfer to a slant later this morning. If I don't fall asleep first, I'll try and record it for you.

I really appreciate that, That would be insanely helpful. If you do end up recording it please let me know

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: flyhighfunguy] * 1
    #25389944 - 08/15/18 11:06 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

thoughtful write up stare. i probably just would've said, "i don't set down the cap. just hold it while transferring and try not to contaminate it with your nasty hands or breathe" but your answer was better.

also, i'd advise doing a couple of actual test runs before committing a prized culture to a slant. they are really cheap and easy to prepare so why not just throw a couple random transfers in slants to see if you've got it down.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #25392644 - 08/16/18 03:10 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Once i have inoculated a slant, do i allow it to colonize at room temperature before placing into the refrigerator? Or do you immediately place it in the fridge after inoculation to keep colonization as slow as possible?

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: flyhighfunguy]
    #25392679 - 08/16/18 03:29 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

let it colonize the surface.

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #25393227 - 08/16/18 07:18 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:

:whathesaid:

Once the surface has colonized, I let it go even longer....a week maybe. Then I'll put it in
the fridge. I store in an insulated lunch box and put that in the vegetable drawer of the fridge.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: Asura]
    #25393274 - 08/16/18 07:43 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Asura said:
Quote:

verum subsequentis said:

:whathesaid:

Once the surface has colonized, I let it go even longer....a week maybe. Then I'll put it in
the fridge. I store in an insulated lunch box and put that in the vegetable drawer of the fridge.

Are there any major benefits that you find with letting it go an extra week vs just letting it colonize the surface?

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
    #25393302 - 08/16/18 08:00 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

That's just how I've always done it. My thinking is that I want to make sure it digs into the
wood a little. Once it's in the fridge, growth is really slowed down.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

Re: Super Simple Media Slant Tek for Culture Storage Like a Boss. [Re: Asura]
    #25393316 - 08/16/18 08:06 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Asura said:
That's just how I've always done it. My thinking is that I want to make sure it digs into the
wood a little. Once it's in the fridge, growth is really slowed down.

Alright maybe ill try that out. The wood helps it last longer in storage right? Does it do that by giving the mycelium more surface area to grow on or something?

Also, do you have to make sure you transfer these every once in a while to make sure they stay healthy?

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25393439 - 08/16/18 09:11 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

i think roger said they'll last five years with the wood and to plate then re slant every two years without the wood. i haven't been at it long enough to verify though. it's not to much work to do even once a year though.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25393631 - 08/16/18 11:39 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
i think roger said they'll last five years with the wood and to plate then re slant every two years without the wood. i haven't been at it long enough to verify though. it's not to much work to do even once a year though.

Alright sweet ill probably do it every year or two then just to be safe. If you did a plate and re-slant every year do you think you could still save the culture forever without reaching senescence or anything?

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25393634 - 08/16/18 11:45 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

i don't know, that's something i'm still figuring out. Let me look something up for you real quick

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25393639 - 08/16/18 11:56 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

roger rabbit said

Quote:

I keep master culture slants in the refrigerator for years

Quote:

Culture slants last for years in the refrigerator, making prints unnecessary

Quote:

When you find the best one, you can keep master slants in the refrigerator and grow that isolate forever.

Quote:

you can store it in master culture slants to use for years to come without degradation.

well i thought i'd run across the part where he says how many years but i guess that'll do. "forever" is a long time but i'm sure that includes reslanting from time to time.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25393644 - 08/17/18 12:00 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
roger rabbit said

Quote:

I keep master culture slants in the refrigerator for years

Quote:

Culture slants last for years in the refrigerator, making prints unnecessary

Quote:

When you find the best one, you can keep master slants in the refrigerator and grow that isolate forever.

Quote:

you can store it in master culture slants to use for years to come without degradation.

well i thought i'd run across the part where he says how many years but i guess that'll do. "forever" is a long time but i'm sure that includes reslanting from time to time.

Awesome thanks for looking up that info. I guess maybe ill try to make transfers around every 3-5 years to keep them down to a minimum. Im finally getting some pretty good genetics so if i can keep them forever that'll be awesome. Thanks for the help :cheers:

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25393650 - 08/17/18 12:06 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

you might want to throw this question up in the tc thread and see what some of them say. i'm still fairly new and haven't had cultures around long enough to verify any of that.

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25393657 - 08/17/18 12:16 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
you might want to throw this question up in the tc thread and see what some of them say. i'm still fairly new and haven't had cultures around long enough to verify any of that.

Alright ill post it in there right now and see what they say. I'll post whatever they answer here incase you dont see it.

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #25393661 - 08/17/18 12:21 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

i'll see it. I"M EVERYWHERE

Invisibleflyhighfunguy

#25393663 - 08/17/18 12:23 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
i'll see it. I"M EVERYWHERE

:uhoh: :frightening:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale