Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemrsmyco
Stranger
Newbie - grain spawn is it ready?
    #25379507 - 08/10/18 02:16 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Hello all,
I have 4 bags of grain that have been colonizing. They were inoculated on the 28th of last month. After about 5 days I started seeing white everywhere so gave the bags a shake to spread the mycellium around the bags then looked like regular grains (Brown). After about 2-3 days the bags were looking white an all sections again, did another shake not as much brown this time chunks of the grains were forming.

Looking at the bags today 3 of the 4 bags are white completely, bottom, top and sides. How do I know if the center portion is ready? Should I give the bags another shake or will that damage the mycellium?

I've never done grains before so I dont know how to tell if they are fully colonized or not. I'd would hate to open the bags to pour into my monotub to find out the center is not colonized. Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you in advance.
Much love,
M

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Newbie - grain spawn is it ready? [Re: mrsmyco]
    #25379528 - 08/10/18 02:32 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

It should be good if everything you can see is covered.

OfflineJabensis
Daddy
 User Gallery

Loc: Copperhead Road
Re: Newbie - grain spawn is it ready? [Re: LtLurker]
    #25381060 - 08/11/18 09:23 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

If you mixed up the contents really well, thus ensuring the same distribution of y Elian covered grains vs. those yet colonized, and all you can See if white, you’re probably good.  I always let my bags go another day when all I could See was white just to ensure the center is colonized.
For future practice, don’t break up the white colonies until you get a big colony/chunk of colonized grains covering about 30% of the grains.  Doing this you’ll likely only need one shake.  The more you break up your grains, the more the colony has to put energy into regrowth.  Also, when you break up the chunks, try to ensure you get as few chunks as possible... looking for individual colonized grains.  This will ensure you have more inoculation points when the colonized grains regrow and expand.
Good job though.
Keep up the good work!
J

Jump to top. Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started