Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niƱos
I'm a teapot

Flooring
    #25375404 - 08/08/18 04:26 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I'm pretty behind on all my shroomery activities lately, I'm on a mad dash to finish this house that took heavy damage in hurricane Harvey.

This is before and after pictures of the original 1955 hardwood floors in this house, I never gave much thought to these floors because they have been trashed and a solid opaque dark Sierra color, I had no idea such beauty was hiding underneath. Can you believe someone covered the den in carpet at some point? Waste.

Anyway,the reason I'm posting is i made a few HUGE errors while spreading the polyeurathane, I'm a quick learner and implemented several changes immediately, but to say I was disappointed was an understatement, i was cussing up a storm and flexing all my muscles useleslu
Y in anger as i yelled because i had to keep pushing the puddle and keep my lines straight slow and consistent. People that know me say I'm too hard on myself, i think most people are too lax on themselves, but I fully absolutely expected to have to sand it all back down  because it wouldn't be up to my standards, and to my surprise ... Its super forgiving. I'm so relieved to see that all thw hard work of a meticulous prep saved me.

It was an ordeal, I'm an hour each way from a home improvement store and when i went to rent the drum sander the guy talked me into renting a finish sander with 36 grit discs and he said it'll work just as good maybe a little slower but no risk of damaging your floor.

I wasted seven hours, I kept emptying the sawdust bag hoping it would sand better, no, i went back and tore up some ass amd got a free rental, took the drum sander home and the first pass i took off more than the finish sander did in seven hours. Siiiiiiiiigh

Anyway this is meant as encouragement, I initially called a guy for a quote and he told me about fivek for about 1000 SQ feet, im doing vinyl plank on the rest, and i opted to try it myself. Not much help, not many videos except on clever ways to help wirh polyeurathane and it came out really well. I'll gladly go into detail with all the steps if anyone is thinking of doing it, i heardprpbably three different ways to do each step and then each person had a different standard of how many steps were needed. I tend to do a little extra, I spent a solid I don't even know probably 30-40 hours prepping the floor and a whopping one hour total staining and multiple coats of poly. These boards were super wavy though even after a full day of drum sander there was a spot or two like this where a strip of varnish was down in a valley and rather than keep sanding the entire floor for this spot, I finally had to abandon principles and spot sand it with a power sander and clean ir up with orbital.

But even then it blended just fine. Not a huge deal. In fact you have to blend the borders like that anyway so spot samdimg here amd there isn't a huge nono.

Anyway. I also learned a ton about vinyl plank flooring which I'm putting in the bathroom and kitchen, unlike laminate its flexible so it gives with any house settling, and its completely waterproof. Designed for high water areas. Super simple tongue and groove system just use a Carpenters square and score the plank where u want to cut and bend it over like sheetrock and cut. A fourth grader could learn to install it well. Leave an expansion gap on all sides

The stuffs not cheap that Java hickory is 2.18 sq ft, stiff laminate plank start at like 0.75.  but it takes a few hours vs a few days like hardwood but, as nice as it is and as convenient as it is, it just has nothing on the how much good hardwood floors pop.

The way i see it it's been 63 years since the last guy did the hardwood floors, I intend on my work lasting another 63 and to look good while doing it.

If you look real close at the bathroom pic you'll see I installed the closet flange on top of the vinyl flooring and screwed down thru it into the plywood subfloor.

I thought I did a superb job because it was such a clean cut around the 3" pipe i just replumbed after a conversation here with JustANoob, I had just gone back down there to re pipe a vent i did, sealed up the floor and glued this damn closet flange in (inside fit closet flange) on top of the floor. Put on my new toilet, put a level on it while i tighten the vowl down, put a level on the tank as I tighten the tank to the bowl, crimp my pex press fitting and do the water line, adjust the water level in the tank, i put the cover on the back rank i took a red mechanic rag out of my pocket and wiped it all down amd stepped back to admire my work.

Gorgeous.

Evem the measurements came out right, its eithin an 1/8" of beinf perfectly centered in that little "water closet" area which is good for me and what I was most worried about the measurement from back of tank to wall was good.

Then i sat down on it just to see what the kings throne felt like and it rocked a little as i sat down. Instant flash of fear and anxiety in the gut.

I look around amd the flange is holding the toilet bowl  above the floor so the toilets weight is not on the floor. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Angry now i easily pull the whole toilet out as one piece  amd set it dowm on plastic. Long story short (too late) i had to sawzall notches in the inside throat of the closet  flange, just deep enough to cut through the flange but not the drain pipe its glued  into. This flange dumps into the ID of the pipe i like that better .. then i chiseled those notches until they were almost off and grabbed them with pliers and yanked them out. Sanded the ID of the pipe, a few scores, nothing PVC glue (which actually half melts the joined pieces amd fuses them from what i understand) can't fix. I went an hour to home depot amd tjey have six different flanges but not a 3" inside fit one. Drove am hour back. I've been getting mad a lot lately. Once i find one (amazon prob) I already cut the vinyl and moisture barrier and im ready to install the toilet.... In several days.

Story of a mechanics life. Waiting on parts.

Keep struggling
Keep learning

--------------------
How I made my mush GH

Edited by Humble Newcomer (08/08/18 05:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: Flooring [Re: Humble Newcomer]
    #25385426 - 08/13/18 11:02 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

i remember sanding an entire two story house as a kid helping redo it. floors are rough but not bad if you can rent the big sander. stairways are the worst IMO.

people have horrible design tastes, when it comes to longevity even more so. glad you got a winner with the flooring.

i remember when staining my stepfather at the time (a huge drunk and druggy in general) locked himself in the bathroom when staining and get all huffed up, people are too stupid sometimes.

--------------------

InvisibleNothingsChanged
Striving for Excellence
Male User Gallery

Loc: North/Western WA Flag
Re: Flooring [Re: ReposadoXochipilli]
    #25409058 - 08/24/18 01:20 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Are you concerned how the doorway is going to land starting in the back and whats the plan for the height difference at the transition to the hard wood?

Vinyl plank is cool stuff, Heat gun on the back makes trickier cuts a breeze.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates