Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hot Plate, Humidity Meter, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >
OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

First Time Poster - About to Get Started ...
    #25362066 - 08/02/18 12:56 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I have always been fascinated by this and am looking forward to my first small project. 

Can anyone here point me in the direction of any resources I may have overlooked? 

So far I have read a ton of DIY articles (there are many on the SCRIBD app btw!)  and watched many vids on youtube.  I am new to the site and am sure the board gets inundated with N00b questions, but please send any and all info my way if you think I have overlooked anything. 

Any info appreciated.  Ill post results

Two large plastic Bins (60Q?) with snap lids
4 syringes - all varying cube strains
Mixing buckets w/ Lids
nitrile gloves
lysol
premade grain bags - sterile
Coco Coir
Vermiculite
Small temp/humidity gauge

Edited by Proton_California (08/02/18 12:58 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinestormyfox
Animal Enthusiast
Female

Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: Proton_California]
    #25362071 - 08/02/18 01:00 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: stormyfox]
    #25362176 - 08/02/18 02:16 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

stormyfox said:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20315382#20315382

Thank you stormy - read over that link.  Very helpful

Did I leave anything out?

Offlinegizmodo
Woodland Creature
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Behind You
    #25362330 - 08/02/18 03:54 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

One must be mindful to maintain their balance on the slippery earth.

Bod's Comprehensive Agar Resource
Gizmodo's Market Stall
Say No To Grow Kits

OfflineNorthernKronic
Stranger

Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: gizmodo]
    #25362346 - 08/02/18 04:07 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

If you think you're going to be into this hobby for awhile I cannot stress enough how much time and heartache cleaning your cultures on agar will save you vs trying to inoculate with your MSS directly into your grain bags.

Im working with two unmodified monotubs that I foolishly went MSS>Grain Jars. They took forever to germinate, took forever to colonize (about a month from germination) hid a bunch of contaminants and basically wasted over a month of time and all the money I spent on the 4 syringes (plus the grain and my time) I used to make 40qt jars of spawn..  Ended up having to bury most of them in the backyard because they were too contam'd to spawn to bulk inside.

Lesson being, clean your cultures first on Agar and do a minimum of two transfers from your germ plate before going to grains. Also would just bite the bullet and spend the $70 on amazon for a presto 23qt pressure cooker so you can make your own sterilized grain at home. The pre-sterilized bags kinda force you into using MSS or liquid culture syringes (only make liquid culture with myc from clean agar. Its tempting to think of just making a LC with your MSS but it has a super high chance of contam that wont be able to be seen until you put it to grain.

Anyway, I'm still a newb but hopefully you can learn from my mistakes this summer.

-N.Kron

Offlinegizmodo
Woodland Creature
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: NorthernKronic]
    #25362533 - 08/02/18 05:34 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

NorthernKronic said:
If you think you're going to be into this hobby for awhile I cannot stress enough how much time and heartache cleaning your cultures on agar will save you vs trying to inoculate with your MSS directly into your grain bags.

Im working with two unmodified monotubs that I foolishly went MSS>Grain Jars. They took forever to germinate, took forever to colonize (about a month from germination) hid a bunch of contaminants and basically wasted over a month of time and all the money I spent on the 4 syringes (plus the grain and my time) I used to make 40qt jars of spawn..  Ended up having to bury most of them in the backyard because they were too contam'd to spawn to bulk inside.

Lesson being, clean your cultures first on Agar and do a minimum of two transfers from your germ plate before going to grains. Also would just bite the bullet and spend the $70 on amazon for a presto 23qt pressure cooker so you can make your own sterilized grain at home. The pre-sterilized bags kinda force you into using MSS or liquid culture syringes (only make liquid culture with myc from clean agar. Its tempting to think of just making a LC with your MSS but it has a super high chance of contam that wont be able to be seen until you put it to grain.

Anyway, I'm still a newb but hopefully you can learn from my mistakes this summer.

-N.Kron

Would you happen to have a source you used to learn more about that process? Agar and such.

--------------------

Gizmodo's Market Stall
Say No To Grow Kits

OfflineNorthernKronic
Stranger

#25362590 - 08/02/18 06:11 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

#25363899 - 08/03/18 09:37 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: NorthernKronic]
    #25364088 - 08/03/18 11:31 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

NorthernKronic said:

-N.Kron

NK ... appreciate this

I dont really follow you here.  Wha exactly went wrong?  My plan is two large unmod tubs using two premade sterile bags for each and a different strain in each tub

OfflineGonzo the Eternal
In Sterquiliniis Invenitur

#25364133 - 08/03/18 11:49 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I can't stress enough how important agar is and I literally just started. But I am giddy with excitement as to the possibilities. I tried MS straight to grains. Got lucky with one syringe but the other was contamed and I lost a bunch of jars, grain, lids, polyfill and the whole syringe. It's crazy frustrating and not worth the hours of worrying and uncertainty you'll experience wondering if your jars are good and things like that. Itll save you hours of searching for pictures of jars that look like yours cause you're worried they are taking too long to colonize or that they look off. Once you inoculate your master jars with clean agar wedges and you see then colonize quickly and beautifully then you'll never do it any other way.

Agar will completely erase all doubt. Once you do 3 transfers and have a nice clean playe you can inoculate some master grain jars and g2g a bunch of other jars to put to sub.

This alone makes agar definitely worth the tiny investment. Not to mention  now that you have agar you can clone and isolate and really take control of this hobby.

I got absolutely everything I need to have alot of agar for very long on Amazon for like 80 bucks.

Pressure cooker for sure. The 23qt presto is great. Especially since an AA is so pricey. But soon I definitely be grabbing one. So about 150 for 2 of the most important things you need in this hobby. You got pretty much everything else.

Patience as well. Cant buy it unfortunately. But I have learned that more than anything from this hobby.

Edited by Gonzo the Eternal (08/03/18 11:57 AM)

Offlinegizmodo
Woodland Creature
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #25364196 - 08/03/18 12:30 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Proton_California said:
Quote:

gizmodo said:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20356759/fpart/all/vc/1

Thank you Gizmodo!

:vibin:

--------------------

Gizmodo's Market Stall
Say No To Grow Kits

OfflineCthulhu23
Elder God Extraordinaire
Male

#25364440 - 08/03/18 02:19 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I’ll echo the comments about agar.  It seems daunting but it’s much easier than you’d expect.  I followed Bod’s TEK for agar.  Just did my first MS > agar last night (AA+ and I’m excited!)

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21922023#21922023

Many folks do Pasywhytes no pour TEK, too.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976#19208976

Good luck!!!

InvisibleStraight Mush
Mush lover
Male User Gallery

Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: Cthulhu23]
    #25364466 - 08/03/18 02:41 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I use all of FrankHorrigan's teks pretty much exactly. I don't have the links and I'm on mobile typing this but you can find them via search function it's well worth it.

Good luck buddy. RR's quotes are also very helpful when trying to determine what to do based off running into a few questions or problems. Again search function read through relevant posts and gain knowledge

--------------------
When in doubt refer to RR's infamous quotes via the search function

OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: Gonzo the Eternal]
    #25364467 - 08/03/18 02:43 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Gonzo the Eternal said:
I can't stress enough how important agar is and I literally just started. But I am giddy with excitement as to the possibilities. I tried MS straight to grains. Got lucky with one syringe but the other was contamed and I lost a bunch of jars, grain, lids, polyfill and the whole syringe. It's crazy frustrating and not worth the hours of worrying and uncertainty you'll experience wondering if your jars are good and things like that. Itll save you hours of searching for pictures of jars that look like yours cause you're worried they are taking too long to colonize or that they look off. Once you inoculate your master jars with clean agar wedges and you see then colonize quickly and beautifully then you'll never do it any other way.

Agar will completely erase all doubt. Once you do 3 transfers and have a nice clean playe you can inoculate some master grain jars and g2g a bunch of other jars to put to sub.

This alone makes agar definitely worth the tiny investment. Not to mention  now that you have agar you can clone and isolate and really take control of this hobby.

I got absolutely everything I need to have alot of agar for very long on Amazon for like 80 bucks.

Pressure cooker for sure. The 23qt presto is great. Especially since an AA is so pricey. But soon I definitely be grabbing one. So about 150 for 2 of the most important things you need in this hobby. You got pretty much everything else.

Patience as well. Cant buy it unfortunately. But I have learned that more than anything from this hobby.

You just started? 

What made you switch formats?  The contamination?

OfflineGonzo the Eternal

#25364511 - 08/03/18 03:13 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Just started as in have been lurking for years and researching and a few months ago got all my stuff together finally and began the hobby. And yes the contamination and the ease of making good clean spawn that can be used in abundance.

OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: Gonzo the Eternal]
    #25366785 - 08/04/18 05:11 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Gonzo the Eternal said:
Just started as in have been lurking for years and researching and a few months ago got all my stuff together finally and began the hobby. And yes the contamination and the ease of making good clean spawn that can be used in abundance.

Quote:

Gonzo the Eternal said:

Thanks for the feedback.  So do you personally feel that the grain bags are much more susceptible to contamination compared to agar?

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Interdimensional Bootcamp
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: Proton_California] * 1
    #25366801 - 08/04/18 05:22 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

It’s not that they’re more susceptible, it’s that spores/spore syringes can be/often are dirty.  Germinating spores on agar allows one to isolate clean mycelium from any bacteria or other unwanted fungi which can then be used to inoculate sterilized grain.  Going straight to grain doesn’t allow for the cultivator to catch those inherently present contams and by the time they become noticeable (typically during the fruiting stage) the grow is doomed.

OfflineGonzo the Eternal

Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: Mycolorado]
    #25366908 - 08/04/18 06:34 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

What they said up there ^^

I've never used bags and honestly I dont plan on it. Jars are perfect for me. Plus I've always liked Mason jars. Even as a kid so it works out haha it has nothing to do with one being better than the other as far as I know. Maybe jars are better cause they are so  ubiquitous and useful? Are there reusable bags?

Agar and a SAB and a pressure cooker and proper sterile technique is all you need to give yourself the best chance at no contams. Oh and of course a healthy daily dose of shroomery research. I've gone deep into the forums trying to learn. All of the actual advice I am giving is in my humble and inexperienced opinion of course. Please correct me if I'm misleading or wrong in any way. I'm really just parroting Bod and Frank and Spitball and Enkidu (who was very helpful when I first joined).

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Interdimensional Bootcamp
Trusted Cultivator
    #25366968 - 08/04/18 07:23 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

@ Proton- Also, don’t take my statement as condemning your grow to failure...lots of people have success with spores to grain, it’s just not the best practice.

OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Poster - About to Get Started ... [Re: Mycolorado]
    #25368981 - 08/05/18 09:21 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mycolorado said:
It’s not that they’re more susceptible, it’s that spores/spore syringes can be/often are dirty.  Germinating spores on agar allows one to isolate clean mycelium from any bacteria or other unwanted fungi which can then be used to inoculate sterilized grain.  Going straight to grain doesn’t allow for the cultivator to catch those inherently present contams and by the time they become noticeable (typically during the fruiting stage) the grow is doomed.

Thats a good explanation

I wasnt sure why the agar was so advantageous but I can visualize it now

I already have a few bags and jars (rice) on order so I will try a few and see how that goes

Thank you for the feedback

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hot Plate, Humidity Meter, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation