Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Safety Of Unadulterated Kratom Affirmed By The National Institute Of Drug Abuse * 2
    #25356151 - 07/30/18 05:06 PM (17 days, 21 hours ago)

WASHINGTON, July 30, 2018  /PRNewswire/ -- In a recent update of its official position on the botanical kratom, the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) affirmed that, "Kratom by itself is not associated with fatal overdose," explaining that only when the natural ingredient is contaminated or "laced with other compounds" has it been associated with death.

NIDA's position clarifies and corrects an earlier statement by FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb that kratom has been associated with 44 deaths—sufficient, in his opinion, to justify placing the botanical on the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency's (DEA) schedule that would prohibit kratom's distribution and use, even in its natural form.

"NIDA's position does not come as a surprise," said Dave Herman, Chairman of the American Kratom Association (AKA), which is committed to protecting the rights of consumers who use kratom safely and successfully. "The data used by the FDA to make its original claim were clear that the adverse reactions were caused by adulterated or contaminated kratom, polydrug use, or unrelated underlying health conditions of the decedent. NIDA's statement is consistent with these findings, and we call upon the two agencies to work together to remove the FDA's scheduling recommendation for natural kratom and focus on protecting the rights of Americans who rely on it by removing adulterated and dangerous counterfeit products from the market."

The FDA and NIDA have a long-standing formal agreement that both agencies must concur on scheduling recommendations submitted to the DEA. "In extrapolating the data to a faulty conclusion—in an effort to place kratom on the DEA's schedule—the FDA's logic would require the prohibition of caffeine and even coffee because someone laced that product with fen-phen or any other contaminant," said Herman. "In fact, it could be applied to anything, even broccoli, once it has been contaminated with a dangerous substance."

NIDA's position clarifies that natural kratom does not present a public health risk, and the FDA already has statutory authority to seize all dangerous adulterated and counterfeit products. "The American Kratom Association joins the three to five million American consumers who safely use kratom, as well as the healthcare professionals and government leaders who support kratom in its natural form, in calling upon the FDA to follow the science, to allow consumer access to the natural botanical, and to use its efforts and energy to go after those who lace it illegally," said Herman. "We respectfully request that acting DEA Administrator Uttam Dhillon formally reject the FDA recommendation for the scheduling of kratom and return it to the FDA for immediate regulatory action against adulterated counterfeit kratom products. This may require a little more effort on behalf of the FDA, but it is consistent with the science. It is the right thing to do. And it will put to an end to the threat of criminalizing the actions of millions of Americans who rely on kratom for their health and well-being."

The AKA announced its recommended standards for kratom manufacturers and vendors on July 18, 2018 to promote self-regulation in the kratom industry so that consumers could identify vendors who comply with FDA good manufacturing processes.

ABOUT AKA

The American Kratom Association (AKA), a consumer-based non-profit organization, focuses on setting the record straight about kratom and gives a voice to those who are suffering by protecting their rights to possess and consume safe and natural kratom. AKA represents millions of Americans, each of whom has a unique story to tell about the virtues of kratom and its positive effects on their lives. www.americankratom.org

SOURCE American Kratom Association

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/safety-of-unadulterated-kratom-affirmed-by-the-national-institute-of-drug-abuse-300688288.html

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAmanita86
Colors of Hella
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Safety Of Unadulterated Kratom Affirmed By The National Institute Of Drug Abuse [Re: openmind]
    #25356183 - 07/30/18 05:24 PM (17 days, 21 hours ago)

Well hot damn, some good news.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*John 14,:levitate::mushroom2:

Offlinethebeardguy
Night Tripper

Loc: Abarat
Re: Safety Of Unadulterated Kratom Affirmed By The National Institute Of Drug Abuse [Re: openmind]
    #25356237 - 07/30/18 06:04 PM (17 days, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
WASHINGTON, July 30, 2018  /PRNewswire/ --
NIDA's position clarifies and corrects an earlier statement by FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb that kratom has been associated with 44 deaths—

How much would you want to bet this correction never would have occurred without the massive public backlash?

--------------------
Cannabis, Alcohol, 2C-B, 2C-E:crazy2:, 2C-I, MDMA, 25C-NBOMe, 25I-NBOMe, DXM, Ketamine, Methoxetamine:heart:,3-MeO-PCP,:eek: NN-DMT:rocket:, 5-MeO-DMT, 5-MeO-MiPT,LSD:sun:, Mescaline, Psilocybin:mushroom2:, DOB, 4-HO-MET

OfflineNataraja_Shiva
Philosophus

Loc: Earth
Re: Safety Of Unadulterated Kratom Affirmed By The National Institute Of Drug Abuse [Re: Amanita86]
    #25356393 - 07/30/18 07:30 PM (17 days, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:

It certainly is. I remember 15yrs ago I was buying the stuff off of basement shaman after school. Some gas stations have it now. I got nervous about all the demonizing for a while though.

--------------------
"Life is warfare and a strangers sojourn, the only lasting fame is oblivion" - Marcus Aurelius

FastFreds Media Cookbook
Mad Seasons guide to hidden contams
How it should and shouldn't look

InvisiblePsicomvb
Lost in America
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Far Away Flag
Re: Safety Of Unadulterated Kratom Affirmed By The National Institute Of Drug Abuse [Re: Nataraja_Shiva]
    #25356922 - 07/31/18 12:00 AM (17 days, 14 hours ago)

As a daily kratom user who really believes in this stuff, this makes me dance with joy.

--------------------
Taking on life one shroom at a time.

OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Safety Of Unadulterated Kratom Affirmed By The National Institute Of Drug Abuse [Re: Psicomvb] * 1
    #25357833 - 07/31/18 11:18 AM (17 days, 3 hours ago)

You know 20 years ago no one would have thought twice if the dea had decided to schedule Kratom. It's only in recent years that many people some who don't even use drugs have questioned the war on drugs. But 15 years ago the only people complaining about marijuanna being illegal were the people smoking it. Now you have people who have never smoked in their lives saying it makes no sense. It's good to see that everyone just didn't go with the D.E.A. s  Idea to ban Kratom. It's actually the first time the D.E.A. Has announced its plans to push to schedule a drug and public backlash stopped them.

--------------------
Looking for saliva or Kratom cuttings. Pm me for trades

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Safety Of Unadulterated Kratom Affirmed By The National Institute Of Drug Abuse [Re: Amanita86]
    #25358501 - 07/31/18 05:13 PM (16 days, 21 hours ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:

:werd:

Some very good news!

I must say I'm kinda surprised at such a thing coming from a government agency lol , it's weird seeing something so truthful and straight forward to the science & facts coming from such a source lol.

But no surprise at the facts that this leaf is safe.

The thing is......

If the SITSA Act passes (Stop the Importation and Trafficking of Synthetic Analogs) then I'm pretty sure kratom is still in danger of potentially being banned...If I understand it correctly, the SITSA act basically gives the attorney general (Sessions) the power to schedule/ban anything he wants. Any "substance" that has a similar effect to a scheduled-drug could be banned in an instant by the choice of the AG. Basically if there's some plant or drug that has a depressant, or stimulant, or hallucinatory effect, the AG can make that substance scheduled/illegal in an instant. It seems like the power to do so would lay entirely in his hands and with out any say or review from any other government positions/agencies.

If he wants to make kratom illegal, he can do so all by himself if SITSA passes....and that goes for any other plant out there that's "active" , basically anything that alters consciousness in anyway can be made illegal by his choice alone. >>>>

Quote:

It gives the Justice Department unprecedented power to criminalize compounds that aren't regulated by the FDA or already a Controlled Substance. Here's a brief rundown of provisions common to both versions of SITSA:

-Allow the Attorney General to use emergency scheduling powers to place a substance in Schedule A for up to five years, whereas current emergency scheduling powers allow for a maximum ban length of two years. (The additional length of time matters because temporary scheduling is not subject to judicial review.)

-The bill's criteria for inclusion in Class A of the Controlled Substances Act is incredibly broad. It includes any substance that is not already scheduled and is chemically similar to any drug in classes I-V (schedule I drugs are illegal save for research that must be approved and supervised by the DEA; drugs in the remaining schedules can be prescribed); has "an actual or predicted" stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect similar to that of any drug in classes I-V. The methods for determining those similarities are pretty vague in both versions of the bill and will almost certainly be interpreted by the DOJ in a way that makes it easiest for them to do what they want.

-If a drug fits the above criteria, and the Attorney General believes that scheduling it under the CSA "will assist in preventing abuse or misuse of the drug or other substance" [itals mine], the A.G. has met all of the criteria necessary to schedule the drug.
SITSA establishes a statutory maximum of 10 years in prison for Schedule A offenders with no prior drug convictions, and 15 years if ingestion of the substance results in "serious bodily injury or death"; those maximums rise to 20 and 30 years if the offender has a prior felony drug conviction.

-Importers of Class A drugs will face statutory maximums of 20 years (30 years if they have a prior felony drug conviction), and a maximum of life in prison if consumption of the drug they imported results in serious bodily injury or death.

-Despite the use of "synthetic analog" in the bill title, the criteria for inclusion in Schedule A says only "drug or substance."

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25293435#25293435

-OM

--------------------

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger

#25358583 - 07/31/18 06:09 PM (16 days, 20 hours ago)

But people won't go to heaven and will not see Jesus if they use plant based medicines.:bathtub40lol:

--------------------
All comments by Morel Guy are fictional opinions and nothing legally binding therein.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#25360596 - 08/01/18 06:45 PM (15 days, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

openmind said:

I must say I'm kinda surprised at such a thing coming from a government agency lol , it's weird seeing something so truthful and straight forward to the science & facts coming from such a source lol.

Well well well.....

...We can't be having truthful straight forward science & facts now can we..?...:rolleyes:

It seems that what NIDA released recently about kratom basically being relatively safe and not associated with "fatal overdose", what was being talked about in the OP of this thread, that has now been removed from the website. >>>>>

“NIDA may be under pressure from purely political requests or demands being made by the FDA related to kratom that are not supported by the science, including research done by NIDA and its contractors.”

Quote:

AMERICAN KRATOM ASSOCIATION ASKS
THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON DRUG ABUSE TO
“FOLLOW THE SCIENCE”

Request comes after NIDA and the FDA remove information
related to the safety of kratom from NIDA’s official website.

Concerned that the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) may be under political pressure by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in its characterization of kratom, after NIDA removed information regarding the natural botanical’s safety from its official government website, Dave Herman, chairman of the American Kratom Association (AKA) asked NIDA Director Dr. Nora Volkow to “stand as an independent voice, basing its conclusions on science.”

In a letter sent July 31, Herman and the AKA expressed concern that “NIDA may be under pressure from purely political requests or demands being made by the FDA related to kratom that are not supported by the science, including research done by NIDA and its contractors.” The letter references ample research, including studies released as recently as June 14, in conjunction with The College of Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD) at its 80th Annual Scientific Meeting in San Diego, California.

“Deviation from this body of scientific evidence to accommodate a purely political agenda by the FDA on kratom would undermine public confidence in the independence NIDA is entrusted with in protecting the integrity of the regulatory review processes,” Herman wrote. “The scientific evidence is overwhelming that adopting the FDA’s current bias against kratom will create a more dangerous safety signal where kratom users will be forced to either more dangerously addictive and potentially deadly opioids or to the black market where the adulterated kratom products will result in even more deaths.”

Herman’s letter was in reaction to NIDA’s abrupt decision on Monday, July 30, to take down information on its website that natural kratom did not lead to deadly overdoses, as suggested by the FDA. According to NIDA, “Kratom by itself is not associated with fatal overdose, but commercial forms of the drug are sometimes laced with other compounds that have caused deaths.” This information was removed suddenly after the AKA referenced NIDA’s reaffirmed position in a media release early Monday morning.

Particularly troubling to the AKA was that in taking down the information, the NIDA Press Office referenced FDA intervention, maintaining that it “consulted with the FDA regarding the overdose information on the Fact Sheet” and reported the “FDA is concerned that there have been deaths related to kratom that could be overdoses; while acknowledging that many of the products are adulterated, and many deaths result from mixing Kratom with other drugs.”

The AKA has long encouraged the FDA to enforce the law against those who lace or contaminate kratom but to allow the millions of Americans who choose to use natural kratom for health and wellness to maintain access to the natural botanical supplement.

https://www.facebook.com/Americankratomassociation/posts/1290036447799169

I want to say "wow"....but not surprised :sadyes: .

-OM

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#25361525 - 08/02/18 08:01 AM (15 days, 6 hours ago)

Or NIDA may have been misinformed. FDA has different information than NIDA.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinethe_way
buddaful
Re: Safety Of Unadulterated Kratom Affirmed By The National Institute Of Drug Abuse [Re: badchad]
    #25378438 - 08/10/18 12:06 AM (7 days, 14 hours ago)

just cause its a a government agency doesn't mean shit, their not the FDA. They might say the same shit about cannabis cause its true, that doesnt mean they are gonna stop the kikes from seizing assets and putting the innocent into slavery

--------------------
I'm a refined man time elves when Im chilln with mescalito
end the war on free will

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service